[comp.sys.sgi] putting a bit of life into those dreary dogfights

tpm@ecs.soton.ac.uk (TP Monks) (06/14/91)

Tired of dog???  If you've explored the possibilities of dog -h,
become bored mindless with airshows, and have got so used to
flying in night mode that you'd rather just go and get a coffee,
try the latest variation:

run 'gamma .4' before takeof and put it in night mode.  Once
you're bored with that, the only thing left to do is to write
a letter to sgi asking for V2.0, or at very least the source
code.  Well... how about it?

Tim Monks

slehar@park.bu.edu (Steve Lehar) (06/17/91)

The essence  of a  good game is  to play against other  people.    The
anguished response when you beat them  soundly is such  sweet pleasure
that  no    machine  can match.    Unfortunately,  our  machine  is  a
standalone, so  we cannot  do the  regular dogfights  (much as I would
love to!)

We have devised some competitive games nevertheless that will keep you
amused for a while anyhow.

SHORT LANDING
Take turns landing the plane and bringing it to a complete stop on the
runway (using reverse thrust), then view the final  position  from the
tower to see who can  land shortest.  You will  be amazed at how short
the f-15  can land  if you  drag it in  "over the   fence"  at minimum
airspeed and plonk it onto the very beginning of  the runway with full
reverse on!

QUICK TURNAROUND
Take off, turn around and land  in  as  short a time  as possible.  It
will take masterful  handling to do a  high  performance steep turn at
just the right distance out to allow just enough  time to line  up and
land in one piece.

FORCED LANDING
Take her to a pre-determined  position, for example 10,000 feet  right
over the field, kill the thrust and glide  it  in using just the flaps
and spoilers.

TURKEY SHOOT
Player 1 records a flight with a quick turnaround.  Player 2,  who may
not watch while the  first flight is  recorded, takes off and tries to
shoot down the first plane before it lands.  He must then also land as
fast as possible, and  this flight  is  also  recorded.   Player three
takes off and tries  to shoot down the  second  plane BEFORE it shoots
down the  first plane.   If  he  succeeds,  then   the first plane  is
"saved",  and player  1 gains a  point  for  each plane   successfully
landed.  Then player 2 tries to shoot down plane 3 before it can shoot
down plane 2,  thus "saving"  his  own plane 2, and  at the  same time
cancelling the "save" of plane  1.  This continues for several rounds,
and  the final flight is viewed  (with "shadow") to  tally  up who got
shot and  when, to compute  the  number  of planes that  landed safely
without being shot down.  To add excitement, make sidewinders illegal,
so you have to use rockets or cannon.

--
(O)((O))(((O)))((((O))))(((((O)))))(((((O)))))((((O))))(((O)))((O))(O)
(O)((O))(((               slehar@park.bu.edu               )))((O))(O)

dunlap@sgi.com (D. Christopher Dunlap) (06/18/91)

In article <SLEHAR.91Jun17115017@park.bu.edu> slehar@park.bu.edu (Steve Lehar) writes:

>The essence  of a  good game is  to play against other  people.    The
>anguished response when you beat them  soundly is such  sweet pleasure
>that  no    machine  can match.    Unfortunately,  our  machine  is  a
>standalone, so  we cannot  do the  regular dogfights  (much as I would
>love to!)
>
>We have devised some competitive games nevertheless that will keep you
>amused for a while anyhow.
>
>SHORT LANDING
>
>QUICK TURNAROUND
>
>FORCED LANDING
>
>TURKEY SHOOT

You forgot "Dipping your head in the conctrete":

Approach the runway inverted and at speed (we usually insist on at
LEAST 500 knots)

While you are over the runway, try to dip your head under the
concrete.

You may crash. Or you may not get your head under the pavement...

But if your successful, 2 things can happen:

	You'll see a strange diplay effect.

	or

	You'll see the strange effect AND you'll get a "landing report
	card" telling you all your stats.

There are lot's of variations on winning this (assuming you can find
anyone who's good enough to pull it off with any consistency at all).

	# of successful "dips". (maybe "success" == "Report Card")

	Amount of time spent "head down".

	Variations of "good stats" on the report card.

The first email I get that accurately  and completely answers the
following question will get an SGI T-Shirt...

	"Why can you dip your head under the concrete without
	crashing"

SGI employees and former SGI employees are not eligible for this
contest. Looking at source is considered cheating. (and shouldn't be
necessary anyway)

:-}

chris

--
D. Christopher Dunlap  		Product Support Engineering
				Customer Support Division

mkibler@yoda.eecs.wsu.edu (Michael K. Kibler) (06/19/91)

One of the systems we had purchased "used" had the source code to
dog on it. We assumed it was distributed with the system and
began to hack on it locally. We have since found out that it was
not supposed to be on the system and deleted it. But before we
did, we had made a number of modifications to the code to
include:

   1. Missile View - When a missile is fired, a window is displayed showing
      what the missile sees as it flys.

   2. Tracking View - When you lock onto an aircraft, a window pops up
      showing the aircraft closeup.

   3. Radar Enhancements - Zoom In/Out

   ...many more...

   I hope the new version has the above modifications implemented.

   It was fun while it lasted. All of the source code has
   been deleted. The only program that remains is a dog killer program
   I wrote which will kill all of the old broadcast type dog fights on
   the net. Actually dog will kill itself based on what it receives in the
   command packet.
--
 ---- Mike  ( ~~ Radiosity is more than just heat! )
 Michael K. Kibler        INTERNET:  mkibler@eecs.wsu.edu

jdt@voodoo.UUCP (Jim Tomlinson) (06/20/91)

In article <SLEHAR.91Jun17115017@park.bu.edu> slehar@park.bu.edu (Steve Lehar) writes:
>Take her to a pre-determined  position, for example 10,000 feet  right
>over the field, kill the thrust and glide  it  in using just the flaps
>and spoilers.

Try this with a 747 (low score buys coffee).  Needless to say, with a
747's flight characteristics, you only get one chance!
--
Jim Tomlinson    BoGART Project    Boeing Computer Services    Bellevue, WA
jdt@voodoo.boeing.com       ...uunet!bcstec!voodoo!jdt        (206)865-6578