[comp.sys.sgi] insufficient swap space ?

iris@granny.engin.umich.edu (Yuval Roth) (06/19/91)

A user on our machine is getting the following error message
when running a program of his (large image processing prog.):

WARNING: Process [color] pid 8279 killed due to insufficient memory/swap.

- Is there any way of painlessly modifying swap space configurations?
  (I doubt it myself)
- Is there any good advice I should give that user about what
  should be looked for in the program which might cause this problem?

Thanks
Yuval Roth                        Internet: yuval@caen.engin.umich.edu    or
                                             iris@caen.engin.umich.edu
University of Michigan AI Lab
1101 Beal Ave., Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2110

daveh@xtenk.asd.sgi.com (David Higgen) (06/20/91)

In article <IRIS.91Jun19091214@granny.engin.umich.edu>, iris@granny.engin.umich.edu (Yuval Roth) writes:

> A user on our machine is getting the following error message
> when running a program of his (large image processing prog.):
>
> WARNING: Process [color] pid 8279 killed due to insufficient memory/swap.
>
> - Is there any way of painlessly modifying swap space configurations?
>   (I doubt it myself)

If by any chance you have a disk or part of a disk not currently in use,
you can add it as swap space. See swap(1M).

If not, then it would be more painful as you suspect, since you'd need
to remake filesystems.

> - Is there any good advice I should give that user about what
>   should be looked for in the program which might cause this problem?

A not uncommon source of this is an infinite recursion causing
unbounded stack growth.

		Dave Higgen (daveh@xtenk.asd.sgi.com)