[comp.sys.sgi] 90 degree Enet cables

jweldon@sgi.com (Jack P. Weldon) (06/11/91)

In article <9106082201.AA10957@nazgul.physics.mcgill.ca> loki@NAZGUL.PHYSICS.MCGILL.CA (Loki Jorgenson) writes:

> [discussion about second ethernet board in a PI]
>
>The only reasonable solution is to get ahold of an Ether cable
>with a 90 degree angled head.  DEC makes a suitable one; they are
>fairly rare.

Not so...Inmac USA (1-800-547-5444) sells a few different types of
90 degree angle Ethernet cables via mail order. A 5 meter cable
(part number 1069-1) runs $69 US.

I also have to agree with Dave Olson about the ENP-10 board in a PI.
I've never (yet) seen it stick out further than any other VME board.

--
Cheers,

Jack P. Weldon
(jweldon@csd.sgi.com)

ktureski@alias.com (Kevin Tureski) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun10.192757.13212@odin.corp.sgi.com>, jweldon@sgi.com (Jack P. Weldon) writes:
> In article <9106082201.AA10957@nazgul.physics.mcgill.ca> loki@NAZGUL.PHYSICS.MCGILL.CA (Loki Jorgenson) writes:
|
| [discussion about second ethernet board in a PI]
|
| 	The physical design of the board is lacking.  The surface of the
| board, as it rises above the connector backplane, extends 1.5" closer to
| the back of the cabinet than normal.  Consequently, once the standard SGI Ether
| cable is installed, you don't have a hope in hell of closing the box
| again. .

> I also have to agree with Dave Olson about the ENP-10 board in a PI.
> I've never (yet) seen it stick out further than any other VME board.

Loki originally stated that he was adding this board into a 4D/25 -- from
the description it sure sounds an awful lot like the board changes that
happened with the 35; because of the increased width of the memory simm
slots, the VME cage was moved back towards the rear of the cabinet by an
amount that I can't recall offhand (half an inch to an inch, I think; 1.5
sounds excessive).

Anyway, the net result was that it became physically impossible to put the
side panel back on with the VideoFramer board with cables installed; the
diagonal supporting ribs jammed up against the cables/connectors. Removing
a few of these ribs from the side panel provides the clearance required.

I wouldn't suggest running out and snapping these off yourself though; SGI
was investigating the manufacture of a side panel minus a few or all of these
ribs. Oh, I also wouldn't suggest running your PI without the side panel; I
was told that if it overheated as a result, the warranty would be void.

--

Kevin Tureski
Director, Systems Integration

ktureski@alias.com

dk@uucp (Dave Krysler) (06/20/91)

In article <1991Jun10.192757.13212@odin.corp.sgi.com>, jweldon@sgi.com (Jack P. Weldon) writes:
> In article <9106082201.AA10957@nazgul.physics.mcgill.ca> loki@NAZGUL.PHYSICS.MCGILL.CA (Loki Jorgenson) writes:
|
| [discussion about second ethernet board in a PI]
|
|       The physical design of the board is lacking.  The surface of the
| board, as it rises above the connector backplane, extends 1.5" closer to
| the back of the cabinet than normal.  Consequently, once the standard SGI Ether
| cable is installed, you don't have a hope in hell of closing the box
| again. .

        I recently installed a second card in my new 4d25 running 3.3.2

  I constantly had problems with the connector coming off and usually

  would have it come off when I reinstalled the cover.  Finally I had my

  SGI repairman (They will help if at all possible.) remove the connector

  from the plate that extends from the back of the PI.  The web belt hangs

  down about a inch and the problems disapeared two months ago.  Its easy

  to do and works great.

--
DAVE KRYSLER M/S 7K-20,  P.O. Box 24346     W
Seattle, WA     98124-0346          \______/_\______/