[comp.sys.sgi] "mailbox: " does it Do the Right Thing?

shenkin@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Peter S. Shenkin) (06/14/91)

I love mailbox, which is new with the 3.3 release I just installed on my
4d25tg.  However, it has one undesirable behavior that I have noticed:
it seems to trap all interrupts.  Though this is useful in some places,
it disallows aborting a reply or message.  That is, if I run Mail from
a wsh, then change my mind about sending it, I can hit ^C twice, and it
cancels the message.  Since the mail window opened by mailbox traps
interrupts, however, I can't do this.  The only way to abort the reply
is to close the window, which may not do what you want, since you might
want to delete things that you've read, or something like that, before you
quit.

I haven't upgraded to 3.3.x, so I don't know if this has been changed,
but I thought I'd mention it here.

I have one other mail question that was raised some time ago, but I forget
the answer.  If new mail arrives while I am reading mail (from Mail [BSD]),
can I bring it into the existing session?  Suns have an option to do
this, but I don't see an option for this on the Iris man page.  I think
someone once mailed me a workaround, but I've forgotten it.

	-P.
************************f*u*cn*rd*ths*u*cn*gt*a*gd*jb**************************
Peter S. Shenkin, Department of Chemistry, Barnard College, New York, NY  10027
(212)854-1418  shenkin@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu(Internet)  shenkin@cunixf(Bitnet)
***"In scenic New York... where the third world is only a subway ride away."***

blbates@AERO36.LARC.NASA.GOV (Brent Bates ViGYAN AAD/TAB) (06/14/91)

   Have you tried pressing the Delete key?  We have 3.3.2 and ^C doesn't
work, but "Delete" does.  Does any one know if this can be changed easily?
It is kind of a annoying have to use "Delete" instead of ^C, but something
I can put up with.

  Brent L. Bates				Phone:(804) 864-2854
  NASA-Langley Research Center			  FAX:(804) 864-6792
  M.S. 361
  Hampton, Virginia  23665-5225
  E-mail: blbates@aero36.larc.nasa.gov or blbates@aero8.larc.nasa.gov

shenkin@AVOGADRO.BARNARD.COLUMBIA.EDU ("Peter S. Shenkin") (06/14/91)

Wow, yes, DELETE does work for me.  Thank you!  I can certainly live with
this as well.

	-P.
************************f*u*cn*rd*ths*u*cn*gt*a*gd*jb*************************
Peter S. Shenkin, Department of Chemistry, Barnard College, New York, NY 10027
(212)854-1418    shenkin@avogadro.barnard.columbia.edu   shenkin@cunixc.BITNET
***"In scenic New York... where the third world is only a subway ride away."**

root@nimrod.wpd.sgi.com (roberts) (06/14/91)

> I love mailbox, which is new with the 3.3 release I just installed on my
> 4d25tg.  However, it has one undesirable behavior that I have noticed:
> it seems to trap all interrupts.  Though this is useful in some places,
> it disallows aborting a reply or message.  That is, if I run Mail from
> a wsh, then change my mind about sending it, I can hit ^C twice, and it
> cancels the message.  Since the mail window opened by mailbox traps
> interrupts, however, I can't do this.  The only way to abort the reply
> is to close the window, which may not do what you want, since you might
> want to delete things that you've read, or something like that, before you
> quit.

Try the "Delete" key instead of ^C.

> I have one other mail question that was raised some time ago, but I forget
> the answer.  If new mail arrives while I am reading mail (from Mail [BSD]),
> can I bring it into the existing session?  Suns have an option to do
> this, but I don't see an option for this on the Iris man page.  I think
> someone once mailed me a workaround, but I've forgotten it.

Try "fi %" at the Mail command prompt.

	- Robert Stephens
	  Silicon Graphics Inc.

blythe@sgi.com (David R. Blythe) (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun13.172559.21771@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> shenkin@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu writes:
>I love mailbox, which is new with the 3.3 release I just installed on my
>4d25tg.  However, it has one undesirable behavior that I have noticed:
>it seems to trap all interrupts.  Though this is useful in some places,
>it disallows aborting a reply or message.  That is, if I run Mail from
>a wsh, then change my mind about sending it, I can hit ^C twice, and it
>cancels the message.  Since the mail window opened by mailbox traps
>interrupts, however, I can't do this.  The only way to abort the reply
>is to close the window, which may not do what you want, since you might
>want to delete things that you've read, or something like that, before you
>quit.

You can also use the tilde escqpe ~q to abort at letter.

rpw3@rigden.wpd.sgi.com (Rob Warnock) (06/14/91)

In article <9106131853.AA18365@aero36.larc.nasa.gov>
blbates@AERO36.LARC.NASA.GOV (Brent Bates ViGYAN AAD/TAB) writes:
+---------------
|    Have you tried pressing the Delete key?  We have 3.3.2 and ^C doesn't
| work, but "Delete" does.  Does any one know if this can be changed easily?
| It is kind of a annoying have to use "Delete" instead of ^C, but something
| I can put up with.
+---------------

You can also fix it by making sure you have a ~/.wshttymode file with the
TTY modes you want (e.g., intr = ^C). Since the wsh run under mailbox doesn't
see anything in your ~/.login file, it doesn't get whatever "stty" settings
you might have run. Here's mine:

	% cat .wshttymode
	d26:1805:cbf:3b:3:1c:8:15:4:0:0:1a:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:16:17:12:f:13:11:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1

To make your own, in a normal shell window set up the TTY the way you want it
(e.g., "stty intr ^c erase ^h kill ^u"), then type:

	% stty -g >.wshttymode

This will cause your interrupt/quit/etc keys under mailbox (and other programs
run in a wsh but not in a login shell) to be the same as when you said "stty".

-Rob

-----
Rob Warnock, MS-1L/515		rpw3@sgi.com		rpw3@pei.com
Silicon Graphics, Inc.		(415)335-1673		Protocol Engines, Inc.
2011 N. Shoreline Blvd.
Mountain View, CA  94039-7311

srp@babar.mmwb.ucsf.edu (Scott R. Presnell%Cohen) (06/14/91)

shenkin@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Peter S. Shenkin) writes:

>I have one other mail question that was raised some time ago, but I forget
>the answer.  If new mail arrives while I am reading mail (from Mail [BSD]),
>can I bring it into the existing session?  Suns have an option to do
>this, but I don't see an option for this on the Iris man page.  I think
>someone once mailed me a workaround, but I've forgotten it.

At the '&' say: "folder /usr/mail/<usrname>" and Mail will reread your
spool file.

	- Scott
--
Scott Presnell				        +1 (415) 476-9890
Pharm. Chem., S-926				Internet: srp@cgl.ucsf.edu

eddc@opus.lerc.nasa.gov (Dave Carek) (06/17/91)

In article <1991Jun13.172559.21771@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> shenkin@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu writes:
>I love mailbox, which is new with the 3.3 release I just installed on my
>4d25tg.  However, it has one undesirable behavior that I have noticed:
>it seems to trap all interrupts.  Though this is useful in some places,
>it disallows aborting a reply or message.  That is, if I run Mail from
>a wsh, then change my mind about sending it, I can hit ^C twice, and it
>cancels the message.  Since the mail window opened by mailbox traps
>interrupts, however, I can't do this.  The only way to abort the reply
>is to close the window, which may not do what you want, since you might
>want to delete things that you've read, or something like that, before you
>quit.

Since your using Mail you can use "~q".  The following is an entry from the
Mail man page.

     ~q          Abort the message being sent, copying the message to
                 ``dead.letter'' in your home directory if save is set.

| David Carek                   |   phone: 216-433-8396               |
| NASA Lewis Research Center    |                                     |
| Cleveland, Ohio  44135        |   email: eddc@opus.lerc.nasa.gov    |
| Engineer -> An innovative imaginative scientist who must design the |
|       improbable using the impossible on a budget that is invisible |

rpw3@rigden.wpd.sgi.com (Rob Warnock) (06/20/91)

In article <srp.676916226@babar.mmwb.ucsf.edu> srp@babar.mmwb.ucsf.edu
(Scott R. Presnell%Cohen) writes:
+---------------
| shenkin@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Peter S. Shenkin) writes:
| >I have one other mail question that was raised some time ago, but I forget
| >the answer.  If new mail arrives while I am reading mail (from Mail [BSD]),
| >can I bring it into the existing session?  Suns have an option to do
| >this, but I don't see an option for this on the Iris man page.  I think
| >someone once mailed me a workaround, but I've forgotten it.
|
| At the '&' say: "folder /usr/mail/<usrname>" and Mail will reread your
| spool file.

Try "file %". Does the same thing, but fewer keystrokes.

Note: You probably want to "set hold" in your ~/.mailrc, so that held messages
are merged with your spool file. Otherwise, when you "file %", Mail will save
your "held" messages in "mbox", and only show you new ones. Not convenient...

-Rob

-----