[comp.sys.sgi] Berkeley Print Spooling and PostScript Printers

johnson@EULER.JSC.NASA.GOV (Stan Johnson) (06/21/91)

This may have been answered before, but I can't find anything in my limited
archives...
Is there any good way to use Berkeley Print Spooling (lpr, etc) with a
standard PostScript printer (we have an Abaton LaserScript, which emulates
a PostScript printer in one of its modes).  What I need is the appropriate
filter(s) and printcap entries; I don't really want to use lp unless I have
to.  Actually, I couldn't get the printer set up in lp either (I would have
thought "mkcentpr" would be the command to use, but it didn't have an option
for PostScript; there was a man page for "mkPS", but the command was not on
our system).  Thanks for any suggestions...

-Stan Johnson
 NASA / Johnson Space Center
 Houston, TX  77058
 (713) 483-4692
 johnson@euler.jsc.nasa.gov

blbates@AERO36.LARC.NASA.GOV ("Brent L. Bates ViGYAN AAD/TAB") (06/21/91)

  We use lpr all the time with out any problems.  If you have a PostScript
file, you don't need any filters.  Below is the printcap entry for our
HP laser printer and our Tektronix 4693D printer both are connected to
parallel ports, one on a 210VGX and the other on a 320VGX.

hp36|HP LaserJet III:\
        :lp=/dev/cent:\
        :sh:\
        :sd=/usr/spool/hp36:

tek36|Tektronix 4693D:\
       :lp=/dev/cent:\
       :sd=/usr/spool/tek36:

  We also have Transcript for text files and various utilities for
PostScript image files.

  Brent L. Bates				Phone:(804) 864-2854
  NASA-Langley Research Center			  FAX:(804) 864-6792
  M.S. 361
  Hampton, Virginia  23665-5225
  E-mail: blbates@aero36.larc.nasa.gov or blbates@aero8.larc.nasa.gov

johnson@EULER.JSC.NASA.GOV (Stan Johnson) (06/21/91)

Brent Bates writes...

>From: "Brent L. Bates ViGYAN AAD/TAB" <blbates@aero36.larc.nasa.gov>

>  We use lpr all the time with out any problems.  If you have a PostScript
>file, you don't need any filters.  Below is the printcap entry for our
>HP laser printer and our Tektronix 4693D printer both are connected to
>parallel ports, one on a 210VGX and the other on a 320VGX.
> ...<stuff deleted.>...
>  We also have Transcript for text files and various utilities for
>PostScript image files.
>
>  Brent L. Bates				Phone:(804) 864-2854
>  NASA-Langley Research Center			  FAX:(804) 864-6792
>  M.S. 361
>  Hampton, Virginia  23665-5225
>  E-mail: blbates@aero36.larc.nasa.gov or blbates@aero8.larc.nasa.gov

I probably should have been more specific.  We do need a filter for the
PostScript printer so that we can print regular text and so that the banner
page output by lpr is handled correctly.  I may be missing something
obvious, but it seems to me that the appropriate filters should have been
included with our Documenter's Workbench software to allow PostScript
printers to be used equally well with either AT&T or BSD Print Spooling.

Are there any solutions other than buying Transcript or some other package?
(i.e. something cheap that will fit into my end-of-the-fiscal-year zero-dollar
budget)?  Again, thanks for any and all suggestions..

-Stan Johnson
 NASA / Johnson Space Center
 Houston, TX  77058
 (713) 483-4692