[comp.sys.sgi] Showcase and using lpr to print

amys@TheImprov.ncsa.uiuc.edu (Amy Swanson) (06/19/91)

Just started using Showcase yesterday and I wanted to print a document I
just created.  I don't have the luxury of having a printer connected directly
to my SGI (or any other SGI around) and we are using lpr for our printing
(that's what happens when you have a heterogeneous hardware environment).
Does anyone have any suggestions?  I tried this:

     icut doc   (used 'icut' to get the Showcase doc)
     tops doc | lpr

It printed the doc, but the printer sees the background as "grey" instead
of plain/white.  Any ideas?

Thanks!
Amy

============
Amy K. Swanson
SGI Systems Administrator
NCSA - National Center for Supercomputing Applications
University of Illinois @ Urbana-Champaign

amys@ncsa.uiuc.edu

mberger@RELAY.NSWC.NAVY.MIL (06/19/91)

you can use the 'Save As --> EPS' (extended postscript) option of the
'File' menu.

--Mike

amys@TheImprov.ncsa.uiuc.edu (Amy Swanson) (06/19/91)

In <1991Jun19.133136.8240@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> amys@TheImprov.ncsa.uiuc.edu (Amy Swanson) writes:

I appreciate all the replies, but I should have included in my original
posting that I also tried the "saving as EPS" option and then sent that
file to the LaserWriter with lpr.  The printer interpreted the postscript
file as text and just spewed forth text instead of the graphics.

Amy

wes@uh.msc.edu (Wes Barris) (06/20/91)

In article <1991Jun19.133136.8240@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>,
amys@TheImprov.ncsa.uiuc.edu (Amy Swanson) writes:

> Just started using Showcase yesterday and I wanted to print a document I
> just created.  I don't have the luxury of having a printer connected directly
> to my SGI (or any other SGI around) and we are using lpr for our printing
> (that's what happens when you have a heterogeneous hardware environment).
> Does anyone have any suggestions?  I tried this:
>
>      icut doc   (used 'icut' to get the Showcase doc)
>      tops doc | lpr
>
> It printed the doc, but the printer sees the background as "grey" instead
> of plain/white.  Any ideas?

We have a similar set up.  Just use the "Save as..." option under the
"File" menu.  Save your document in an EPS file, then send this file
to your printer.

      o o o o o o o . . .   ________________________________ _____=======_T___
    o      _____           ||Wes Barris                    | | wes@msc.edu   |
  .][__n_n_|DD[  ====_____  |Minnesota Supercomputer Center| |(612) 626-8090 |
 >(________|__|_[_________]_|University of Minnesota_______|_|_FAX: 626-1596_|_
 _/oo OOOOO oo`  ooo   ooo  'o^o^o                    o^o^o` 'o^o         o^o`
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
The spam in plan falls mainly in the can.

cnc@UNIX.CIS.PITT.EDU (Chunging Cheng) (06/20/91)

Hi

I did save the same way.  I used it in a MS Word document on a Mac, and tried to print on the Laser Writer, but it never printed !!

I'll be glad if you can give some suggestions ..

Thanks in Advance,

Satya Prakash Reddy Atmakuri.

amys@TheImprov.ncsa.uiuc.edu (Amy Swanson) (06/20/91)

Thanks for all the suggestions!  For some reason the "save as EPS" and then
printing with lpr works today.  I have no idea what happened yesterday.  Oh,
well.

A lot of people suggested some really neat ways to get the printGizmo to
work with lpr and not having a printer hooked up directly to your SGI.  As
soon as I get a chance, I'll summarize the info and post it here.

Thanks again!
Amy

=========
Amy K. Swanson
SGI Systems Administrator
NCSA - National Center for Supercomputing Applications
University of Illinois @ Urbana-Champaign

amys@ncsa.uiuc.edu

wnk@aquifer.geology.uiuc.edu (Walter Kreiling) (06/22/91)

I have a question on a related note.  I've used the "save as EPS file" with
great success, but when I try this on a picture that I have an image in,
the printer gags.  To make myself more clear, I use icut to grab part of
the screen into a file.  I then load this file into showcase, and add some
text.  It looks great, but all of our printers can't print it.  I think
the problem lies in the fact that the image is written as one REALLY long
line of postscript, but I'm not sure.  I've tried this on NEC & QMS
color ps printers, as well as apple and QMS b&w ps printers.  Does anyone
have any suggestions, or is this just "the way it is?"

wnk

--
Walter Kreiling					    wnk@aquifer.geology.uiuc.edu
Department of Geology					  University of Illinois

   I beg your pardon sir, but I am NOT a merry man!  --Lt. Worf (ST:TNG (Qpid))

showcase@razy.esd.sgi.com (Showcase Group) (06/22/91)

Not supporting lpr is a flaw in Showcase which will be fixed in
the next release. Meanwhile save your file as Encapsulated PostScript
usinf the Save As rolover under the File menu. Then from a shell call
lpr <filename> directly.