[comp.sys.sgi] High speed upload via kermit: help wanted

xiaoy@bullet.ecf (XIAO Yan) (06/24/91)

A user in our system uploads files regularly from his Mac to a
4D/320.  His files are of about 500k. He uses kermit at 19200 baud
link.  However,  he can only get 900CPS (character per second),
which is only about 40% of the line speed.  We also tried 38000
baud (changing the source code of kermit a little bit...), but the
resulting transmit speed did not change. Mac actually showed the
efficiency of transmitting.

Does anybody know a faster way?

xiao

blythe@sgi.com (David Blythe) (06/25/91)

In article <1991Jun24.145331.12031@ecf.toronto.edu> xiaoy@bullet.ecf (XIAO  Yan) writes:
>A user in our system uploads files regularly from his Mac to a
>4D/320.  His files are of about 500k. He uses kermit at 19200 baud
>link.  However,  he can only get 900CPS (character per second),
>which is only about 40% of the line speed.  We also tried 38000
>baud (changing the source code of kermit a little bit...), but the
>resulting transmit speed did not change. Mac actually showed the
>efficiency of transmitting.
>
>Does anybody know a faster way?

I think zmodem uses a denser encoding and is generally faster.  I know that
there are versions available for UNIX systems, but I don't know where you
would get a Mac version.
	db

marks@AIVAX.RADC.AF.MIL (David Marks) (06/25/91)

Yes.  Use zmodem - the fastest serial transfer method I have ever seen.
On a 9600BPS connection, I get > 940 CPS always!
I got it up and running with no problems, but I don't remember which site
I grabbed it from.  My ftp-list file shows it at ames.arc.nasa.gov and
trix.ai.mit.edu.  On the mac side, get the zmodem program, available at
sumex-aim.stanford.edu:info-mac/comm, or any mac repository.  Its so easy
you will shout with glee when you see it work.  The Mac zmodem program
watches for a command sequence from the remote host which sends it into
receive mode automatically.  So lets say you have a directory full of files
you want to send to the mac from your sgi; just cd to wherever and type
sz *  - and thats it! You even get an realtime analysis of the throughput
achieved.   Pardon me if I sound excited, but after 5 years of getting
340 CPS on a 9600BPS connection with kermit, I feel justified.
Anyway, if you don't want to browse for the source, I can send you a working
copy of what we've got.  I'm running IRIX 3.3.2 on a 340VGX.

Dave Marks
Rome Laboratory
marks@aivax.radc.af.mil