[net.micro] disk drive info.

Ed Shaw <ESS@MIT-XX.ARPA> (11/16/84)

Date: Mon 12 Nov 84 18:04:21-EST
From: Ed Shaw <ESS@MIT-XX.ARPA>
Subject: disk drive info.
To: info-cpm@AMSAA.ARPA, micro@MIT-MC.ARPA

    I am shopping for a 96 tpi 1/2 height double-sided drive(s) for my
system, and find that I need some information.  It is my understanding
that disks written on 48 tpi drives can be read on 96 tpi drives
(by giving two step commands in the software for each track read), but
I don't know if this is true for all makes of both kinds of drive, so I need
to know if there are any exceptions.

    I was also lead to believe that there is at least one 96 tpi drive
that can be jumpered to read 48 tpi disks.  (I suspect it does this by
generating two step pulses for each step command.)  My original source
said the Hitachi drive had this capability, but when I tried to confirm
this, I got different answers from several sources.  Reading the manual
doesn't explicitly tell how to do this.  Does anyone have personal
experience setting up and using such a drive in this mode?

Ed
-------
-------