[comp.sys.sgi] Xneko problem on SGI?

SONDRICK@HASARA11.BITNET (Rick Jansen) (06/25/91)

We just installed the X-windows development toolkit from SGI,
and try to run some X applications. One of the first to fail
in a weird way is Xneko. The window appears briefly, then
disappears, and the program exits with the message 'Alarm clock'.

Anyone an idea what is wrong?

Puzzledly yours,
Rick Jansen

sweetmr@SCT60A.SUNYCT.EDU (michael sweet) (06/25/91)

> We just installed the X-windows development toolkit from SGI,
> and try to run some X applications.  One of the first to fail
> in a weird way is Xneko.  The window appears briefly, then
> disappears, and the program exits with the message 'Alarm clock'.

I've have the same problem with Xtrek, but have yet to solve it.  I
*think* it is an incompatibility between BSD UNIX and IRIX, but I'm
not sure.  I've have similar problems getting The Broken Throne going;
it uses sockets (like Xtrek) and fails with the same error...

 -Mike

jmb@patton.wpd.sgi.com (Jim Barton) (06/27/91)

In article <9106251444.AA02152@sct60a.sunyct.edu>, sweetmr@SCT60A.SUNYCT.EDU (michael sweet) writes:
|> From: sweetmr@SCT60A.SUNYCT.EDU (michael sweet)
|> Newsgroups: comp.sys.sgi
|> Subject: Re: Xneko problem on SGI?
|> Date: Tue, 25 Jun 91 07:44:23 PDT
|>

|> > We just installed the X-windows development toolkit from SGI,
|> > and try to run some X applications.  One of the first to fail
|> > in a weird way is Xneko.  The window appears briefly, then
|> > disappears, and the program exits with the message 'Alarm clock'.
|>
|> I've have the same problem with Xtrek, but have yet to solve it.  I
|> *think* it is an incompatibility between BSD UNIX and IRIX, but I'm
|> not sure.  I've have similar problems getting The Broken Throne going;
|> it uses sockets (like Xtrek) and fails with the same error...
|>
|>  -Mike

Off the top of my head, this sounds like reliance on Berkeley signals.
IRIX 3.3 and later support Berkeley signals, but you do have to change
one thing; you need to define _BSD_COMPAT or _BSD_SIGNALS to the compiler.
See the header file /usr/include/sys/signal.h for details.

-- Jim Barton
   Silicon Graphics Computer Systems
   jmb@sgi.com