[comp.sys.sgi] A Few Tektronix Printer/Driver Questions

cmellor@RELAY.NSWC.NAVY.MIL (06/24/91)

To Anyone Who Can Help,

   We have three Tektronix printers which are associated with our
IRIS Workstations.  The first is a model 4693D which is connect to
and working with an IRIS 4D/GT.  We also have a 4693DX and 4694DX
printer which we would like to connect and access by a Personal
IRIS.

   I have three questions concerning the 4693DX and 4694DX:

       1.) Am I correct in assuming that both of these printers
           have PostScript capabilities?
       2.) Will the SGI driver that we use on the 4D/GT with the
           4693D printer work with the 4693DX and/or the 4694DX?
       3.) If the answer to question #2 is NO, can anyone tell
           me where and how to obtain drivers for the 4693DX and
           4694DX printers.  Also I would appreciate part numbers
           and prices if these drivers need to be purchased.

   Thanks for help in advance...........

| Cynthia Mellor                 INTERnet: cmellor@relay.nswc.navy.mil |
| U.S. Navy                      FAX:      (703) 663-8382              |
| Naval Surface Warfare Center   PHONE:    (703) 663-8855 (8:30 - 4:30 |
| Bldg. 1200, Code K51                                     EST)        |
| Dahlgren, VA 22448                                                   |
| "REMEMBER -- The attention span of a computer is only as long as its |
|              power cord!"                                            |
|                                                              Unknown |

cbas25@vaxa.strath.ac.uk (06/26/91)

Re Tektronix 4693DX and 4694DX Printers
One of the nice things about the IRIX systems is that there are
unexpected goodies to be found in the innermost depths of the system.
We had a requirement recently to get colour prints from our screen
displays, and colleages pointed me in the direction of a utility:-

                            /usr/lib/print/t93print
(Use /usr/lib/print/t93print  xxxx.rgb  >xxxx.tek)

This converts a   *.rgb file obtained with icut into the necessary format
for this 4693 printer in a second file.
In our case the powers who own the printer which is on
our network wont let me use it directly, but if I ftp this file to the
appropriate server (actually a Sun machine) then I can get it printed.
I hope this is of some use,
Peter Bladon
Internet:          cbas25%vaxa.strath.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
BITNET:            cbas25%vaxa.strath.ac.uk@UKACRL
UUCP:              cbas25%vaxa.strath.ac.uk@ukc.uucp

duis@sgi.com (David Duis) (06/27/91)

In article <9106241314.aa11413@VGR.BRL.MIL> cmellor@RELAY.NSWC.NAVY.MIL writes:
>To Anyone Who Can Help,
>
>   We have three Tektronix printers which are associated with our
>IRIS Workstations.  The first is a model 4693D which is connect to
>and working with an IRIS 4D/GT.  We also have a 4693DX and 4694DX
>printer which we would like to connect and access by a Personal
>IRIS.
>
>   I have three questions concerning the 4693DX and 4694DX:
>
>       1.) Am I correct in assuming that both of these printers
>           have PostScript capabilities?

Nope.  The SX and DX controllers are raster only.  The PX and PXi are
PostScript controllers, supporting Tek-written Level 1 PostScript and
Adobe Level 2 PostScript, respectively.

>       2.) Will the SGI driver that we use on the 4D/GT with the
>           4693D printer work with the 4693DX and/or the 4694DX?

My understanding is that the 93DX accepts 93D command sequences just
fine.  The 94DX has a user-settable 93DX compatibility mode, so it
should also behave compatibly.  I tested this just now by printing an
image file using /usr/lib/print/t93print to a 94DX in 93DX
compatibility mode, and it printed just fine.

To get the 94DX into 93DX mode, go to its control panel.  Hit
'Program' and scroll through until you get to '8a. Printer
Compatibility Mode.'  You can then hit '-> move' and 'scroll' to
choose 4693DX mode.

>   Thanks for help in advance...........

Sure thing!

Cheers,

David Duis                        	        Silicon Graphics, Inc.
duis@bent.esd.sgi.com, x7337		     Mountain View, California