[net.micro] Something you'll never see in Pournelle's column

forrest@ucsbcsl.UUCP ( ) (10/26/84)

I wrote the following because I wasn't happy with Jerry Pournelle's column in
Byte. What do you think?  ucbvax!ucsbcsl!forrest

	Computing at Anarchy Acres

		by

	Jerry Richdudley

Well, here I am again sitting in front of my favorite computer,
Alyuisious. Alyuisious is an S-100 based system running CP-M.
It runs rings around all the competition. Next to Alyuisious
is Pantagruel, a real racehorse. Pantagruel doesn't run rings
around anything except the closest fire hydrant. Pantagruel is
my dog.

		Influencing People

Anyway, I just got a call from my good friend Mick Jagger, and then
another from my good buddy Sister Teresa, and then another from my
old pal Steve Jobs. You know, it's funny. I used to get calls from
all these world famous celebrities to let me in on all the top
gossip in the computer field. Now they call me up to make sure
I haven't gone bananas. They say that anyone who gives names to all
his computer toys is displaying schizo-nutso tendencies and should be
closely watched.

		Wet Noodles

But I digress. There's work to be done. I've received yet another
version of Modula the other and I've got to be able to say something
witty, urbane, inconsequential, and probably misguided about it.
Even if I can't think of anything I'll still say something about
what an important, influential language Modula is. Gee, it's almost
sold as well as UCSD Pascal. If only people would realize that my experience
in writing programs that alphabetize the names of all my famous
friends  makes me an expert on programming languages then
maybe people would go out and buy Modula. It's funny, the
editors of Byte  sure must have a low opinion of their readers
since they actually let someone as unqualified as me write about
things I know so little about. It's a good thing I've got
my son, the college graduate, to act as my technical expert.
Those people who think that it's a conflict of interest for me
to promote products that the company he works for sells are just
a bunch of Watergate-chasers.

		Major Malaise

You're lucky I was able to send in my column this month. I almost
couldn't because my trusty companion Lulu, the Laptop computer,
broke down. I know for most of you when this happens you instantly
start seeing dollar signs in front of your eyes because you know
that getting your computer fixed is going to cost you bucks. Not me.
I just call up the famous hardware or software designer that seems
to be the best qualified to solve my problem. It doesn't matter
that this person probably has better things to do than help a poor
slob like me, but they know that having their name appear in my
column will do wonders for their business. It never fails. By the
way, don't believe the grumblers who say that having all this power
makes my reviews a little skewed. You could probably get all your
problems fixed too if you wrote a column in Byte.

		Le Petard

Well, that's all for this month. Next month I'll review MVS, that
cute little operating system rumored to appear on IBM's newest
PC, give you my impressions of every accounting package ever written,
tell you how to write an ADA compiler in APL, and maybe,
if there's time, tell you about the great new science fiction book
I've got planned.

(Editor's Note: Jerry writes Science Fiction - literally)

al@mot.UUCP (Al Filipski) (11/05/84)

Pick a subject about which you don't know sh*t from Shinola.
Write long, rambling, stream-of-consciousness articles on
the subject; hint that those who don't instantly recognize
your name and fall all over themselves are just out of touch
with the field. POOF! you're an expert.  You've got to admit,
it takes guts.

bjorn@dataio.UUCP (Bjorn Benson) (11/06/84)

I agree.  I have canceled my subscribtion because I want to read a
magazine written by people-in-the-know not people-with-connections.

				Bjorn Benson
				uw-beaver!teltone!dataio!bjorn

recovert@ihuxf.UUCP (recovert) (11/07/84)

<<<FLAME ON HIGH>>>
I agree also that Pournelle has an arrogant attitude. I, in
particular, don't like his attitude towards C. JP seems to think
that Pascal-like languages are the greatest thing since white bread!!
Also, most (99%+) of computer users don't have access to computer
jocks like JP does.
BYTE mag has gone downhill, since JP started, but JP is just an example
of the problem. BYTE used to have good articles about hardware & software
WITH LISTINGS & SCHEMATICS. Now, BYTE is just another rag publishing
reviews about this new computer or that new peripheral.
The only decent magazine left is Dr. Dobb's Journal...
<<FLAME OFF>>
--
Richard E. Covert (312) 979-4428 ihuxf!recovert (BTL,Indian Hill)

bmw@aesat.UUCP (Bruce Walker) (11/08/84)

> The only decent magazine left is Dr. Dobb's Journal...
> --
> Richard E. Covert (312) 979-4428 ihuxf!recovert (BTL,Indian Hill)

... and USENET (?).

Bruce Walker     {allegra,ihnp4,linus,decvax}!utzoo!aesat!bmw

cem@intelca.UUCP (Chuck McManis) (11/08/84)

Something else you will never see in Pournelles column :

... I just got Whiz Bang's text editor and followed the xeroxed intructions
to load it with DDT and change the control codes for my terminal. Then
we saved it out to disk and reconfigured the BIOS to make HOME disk restart
the Editor, and used DU to modify the directory so that the .COM file
thinks it is in USER 16. Then just type control C and the editor comes up
and as long as you don't insert text (only overwrite) the system hardly
ever crashes. We have only found 20 commands that weren't mentioned on in
the manual/pocket reference/cryptogrophy key and most times it saves
everything in the same order as I entered it ...

The benefit of Jerrys column is not that he is particularly knowledgeable
or on the inside track, the benefit is that when he gets something for
review he uses it without invoking any special knowledge. And if he can't
then he says so. This is helpful to tightwads like me who can't afford
to pay $200 for Whiz Bang's editor, only to find out it is a piece of
junk that has to be rewritten just to use it. And that they won't take
it back because the manual says it isn't warranted to be usable at all.
It is even worse for whole computer systems. He is simply a indicator
that I use, if he can use it I certainly can. So I am a little less
wary about buying it. (I never did send in $30 for JRT pascal)

			--Chuck
--
-- Chuck                                    - - - D I S C L A I M E R - - -
{ihnp4,fortune}!dual\                     All opinions expressed herein are my

advisor@utcs.UUCP (Leonard Harris) (11/12/84)

If I remember right Jerry Pournelle has access to this net.
Therefore:
            1) He must know (at least) how to login to UNIX
            2) Follow discussions on the pros/cons of various
               products.
            3) Have some idea of whats going on !
Then why do we never get his 'expert' advice appearing here?

If he really believes he is helping the 'poor computer user' fight
back against dishonest retailers, manufacturers, and programmers
then why do we have to pay $4.50 for this obviously honourable public
service?
I realize that joe computer user doesn't have access to this
newsgroup, but then again is joe computer user going to spend
megabucks on buying a sage or similar machine - I think not.

rsellens@watdcsu.UUCP ( Mech. Eng.) (11/13/84)

Jerry occasionally has something useful to say, and he can write in a
fashion that holds your interest (unlike an awful lot of people in the
computer press these days). He does seem opinionated; he does know a lot
of people who give him special treatment; and he is fanatically devoted
to cp/m.

Beyond the above he writes a good column, which I think is getting unfairly
dumped on. He just sees things from a different perspective. If one isn't
attached to un*x and c, then pascal-like things probably look pretty good.
I often disagree with what he writes, but just because someone has different
ideas than you do doesn't make him stupid or ill-informed.

jmw@sdchema.UUCP (John M. Wright) (11/14/84)

Well, we *did* get JP's advice here not so long ago; he advised
people not to use cp/m function (37? I can't remember for sure)
because it occasionally and insidiously trashed disks.  He was
promptly sh*t upon by lots of folks who then gave their own
version of what they thought was happening.  His final exiting
comment (repeated several times), was something along the lines
of "when will I learn?"

I enjoyed the various "what you won't see in JP's column" pieces;
his general attitude does gall me frequently;  but I do read his
column, generally enjoy it, and I think he provides a useful service.
As to why you have to buy BYTE to get the service - hell, if they
could, wouldn't most of the people on the net sell what they
casually give away here; that is, their opinions?

*My* opinions, though I would sell them if I could find any
takers, are obviously my own and not those of etc.
John Wright  {ucbvax,philabs}!sdcsvax!sdchema!jmw
UCSD Chem. Dept.

jimb@amd.UUCP (Jim Budler) (11/15/84)

In article <utcs.192> advisor@utcs.UUCP (Leonard Harris) writes:
>If I remember right Jerry Pournelle has access to this net.
>Therefore:
>            1) He must know (at least) how to login to UNIX
>newsgroup, but then again is joe computer user going to spend
>megabucks on buying a sage or similar machine - I think not.

1.  His address is POURNE@MIT-MC.ARPA

2.  A Sage doesn't cost megabucks.  They run maybe 60% above a
Macintosh for the lowest model.  That's about $3500, bare.
--
 Jim Budler
 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

ables@cyb-eng.UUCP (King Ables) (11/16/84)

[Ah pity da fool who eats dis]

>>(paraphrased) JP has access to the net so he must know how to
>>		login to (or is it log into?:-) ) UNIX.

Not necessairly.  There are other kinds of machines on the Arpanet.
In fact, I believe MIT-MC is a Dec-20 if I remember correctly.  I've
also seen Dec-10s and it seems like one or two other things I didn't
recognize.

Also, if you're talking about UUCP, the range is even broader.  Vaxes
running (cringe) VMS can even do that.  Some peoples' micros have been
known to do it, too.

This is not to defend JP about anything, since I haven't really been
following this discussion, anyway.  I don't think he and I would get
along personally, but that could be as much my fault as his.  I do,
however, think he knows what he is talking about MOST (not all!!) of
the time, and given the level of reader at which he is aiming, I have
never been dismayed with any of his work.

However, he writes better SF than computer tech.

-King   (note new address)
ARPA: ables%cyb-eng.UUCP@ut-sally.ARPA
UUCP: ...{ctvax,gatech,ihnp4,nbires,seismo,ucb-vax}!ut-sally!cyb-eng!ables

eric@milo.UUCP (Eric Bergan) (11/16/84)

> If I remember right Jerry Pournelle has access to this net.
> Therefore:
>             1) He must know (at least) how to login to UNIX
>             2) Follow discussions on the pros/cons of various
>                products.
>             3) Have some idea of whats going on !
> Then why do we never get his 'expert' advice appearing here?

	Just for the record - Pournelle has access to ARPANET,
and seems to only use his mailbox. I am not sure what kind of system
he uses. His son does (or did) have direct access to Usenet, but I haven't
seen any recent postings.

--
					eric
					...!seismo!umcp-cs!aplvax!milo!eric