[comp.sys.sgi] long cables

sysmark@physics.utoronto.ca (Mark Bartelt) (06/28/91)

The fan noise from my PI is starting to get to me, so I want to
put my monitor/keyboard/mouse on the opposite side of my office
from the PI itself (which I'd put in a corner with some sort of
sound-deadening stuff between it and everything else).

SGI sells a 75-foot set of cables (RGB+keyboard), but the price
is exorbitant (CDN$600 up here; no idea what it costs in the US).

So ...  Are the specs for these cables available (e.g. what type
of coax, BNCs, etc.)?  If they are, we can have the folks in our
electronics shop make us a set at a tiny fraction of SGI's cost.

Mark Bartelt                                        416/978-5619
Canadian Institute for                     mark@cita.toronto.edu
Theoretical Astrophysics                   mark@cita.utoronto.ca

sysmark@aurora.physics.utoronto.ca (Mark Bartelt) (06/28/91)

In article <1991Jun27.181436.7012@helios.physics.utoronto.ca>
mark@cita.toronto.edu {hey! that's me!} writes:

| SGI sells a 75-foot set of cables (RGB+keyboard), but the price
| is exorbitant (CDN$600 up here; no idea what it costs in the US).
|
| So ...  Are the specs for these cables available (e.g. what type
| of coax, BNCs, etc.)?  If they are, we can have the folks in our
| electronics shop make us a set at a tiny fraction of SGI's cost.

I've gotten a couple of replies (thanks, folks), and will probably
be having something made up.  However, one other possibility springs
to mind:  After posting the previous article, I said to myself, "you
twit, why not look at the cables and see whether there's any sort of
identifying information there", which I did.  The coax*3 used to make
the RGB cable is from C&M Corporation, AWM style 2919.  I presume that
this would be the correct type of cable to use if/when we make our own
(I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong).  However, the cable also
has a tag on it, indicating that it was manufactured by Qual-Tronix.
So, I think to myself, perhaps I could just call them up and ask them
whether they have ready-made RGB cables in the length that I want (and
at a somewhat more reasonable price than SGI's).  Problem is, I have no
idea where they are.  Does anyone know how to get in touch with them?
Or even what city they're in?  Thanks in advance.

slamont@network.ucsd.edu (Steve Lamont) (06/29/91)

In article <1991Jun27.181436.7012@helios.physics.utoronto.ca> mark@cita.toronto.edu writes:
>The fan noise from my PI is starting to get to me, ...
>SGI sells a 75-foot set of cables (RGB+keyboard), but the price
>is exorbitant (CDN$600 up here; no idea what it costs in the US).

... about $500 here.

>So ...  Are the specs for these cables available (e.g. what type
>of coax, BNCs, etc.)?  If they are, we can have the folks in our
>electronics shop make us a set at a tiny fraction of SGI's cost.

Dunno about the coax -- just plain old video coax is what we used -- I don't
have immediate access to the part number but can get it if needed.  Plain old
BNCs on the cables.

The keyboard cable is Belden (Beldon??) 9537 7 conductor shielded cable.
The connectors are standard 9 pin D connectors.

							spl (the p stands for
							plain old...)
--
Steve Lamont, SciViGuy -- (408) 646-2752 -- a guest at network.ucsd.edu --
NPS Confuser Center / Code 51 / Naval Postgraduate School / Monterey, CA 93943