[comp.sys.proteon] Proteon interest group

dorosz@ESDVAX.ARPA ("DAVE DOROSZ") (12/24/87)

Does anyone On MILNET know how I can get mail to the INFO-PROTEON
interest group.  I've tried INFO-PROTEON-REQUEST@UXC.CSO.UIUC.EDU
with out success.

Also would like to get comments from  anyone using a Proteon P4200
router to route Ethernet over the Pronet 80.  I thinking of installing
a Pronet 80 to provide access to MILNET for some Wang VS machines.
Presently Proteon does not offer a X.25 interface for the P4200 but
Wang does have ( or so they say) a Ethernet interface.  I'm interested
any comments as to throughput, reliability etc of the P4200 or Pronet 80
hardware in general.  As I'm just getting started with Proteon, its a
whole new world to me.

  Dave Dorosz
  Hanscom AFB
  DOROSZ@ESDVAX.ARPA

------
------

paul@uxc.cso.uiuc.EDU (Paul Pomes, CSO, UofIll 217-333-6262) (01/08/88)

>From: "DAVE DOROSZ" <dorosz@esdvax.arpa>
>
>Does anyone On MILNET know how I can get mail to the INFO-PROTEON
>interest group.  I've tried INFO-PROTEON-REQUEST@UXC.CSO.UIUC.EDU
>with out success.

UXC.CSO.UIUC.EDU isn't reachable from the MILNET (or anywhere that relies
on HOSTS.TXT) because our Arpanet address (10.6.0.94), listed before our
NSFnet address (128.174.5.50), hasn't been activated yet.  I expect to be
a lot older and wiser before BBN connects our line at Madison, WI.  In the
meantime I've asked HOSTMASTER to change the address ordering.

>Also would like to get comments from  anyone using a Proteon P4200
>router to route Ethernet over the Pronet 80.  I thinking of installing
>a Pronet 80 to provide access to MILNET for some Wang VS machines.
>Presently Proteon does not offer a X.25 interface for the P4200 but
>Wang does have ( or so they say) a Ethernet interface.  I'm interested
>any comments as to throughput, reliability etc of the P4200 or Pronet 80
>hardware in general.  As I'm just getting started with Proteon, its a
>whole new world to me.

The p4200 router is reliable product, even more so when the backdoor
password is changed with adb.  We're still looking in the 7.4 release
as it's been hidden.

The 7.4 release also supports read-only SGMP.  This is a big win when
you have ~40 p4200s to manage.

UIUC runs a large ProNet network with both 10 and 80 Mbit rings.  The
80 Mbit fibre modems are the weakest link as they don't fail all at once.
What happens instead is that they become sensitive to the underlying data
stream.  Long strings of C's, as found in Fortran comment blocks, cause
failing modems to trash the packet passing through so that subsequent
modems on the fibre chain detect it as an error.  We have been waiting
several months to get all of our modems ECO'ed to fix this problem.

Proteon does offer a 1822 interface for the p4200s.

The p4200 can also do DECnet routing.  This is very handy at UIUC where
the DECnet community is a significant part of our network.

Overall I would say that Proteon is a good product.  If you don't need
the fibre capability I would recommend looking at CisCo and Network
Systems Corp IP routers.

  Paul Pomes
  University of Illinois
  Computing Services Office