[comp.sys.proteon] nysernet sgmp available to commercial sites

schoff@NISC.NYSER.NET (Martin Lee Schoffstall) (03/08/88)

Version 2.0 of NYSERNet's SGMP/SNMP Network Monitoring Software
is now available to ***COMMERCIAL*** liscensees.  This means
FOR profit corporations.

This implementation is for a network operation center (NOC) and
does NOT currently include a gateway/server portion.
All liscensing questions etc are handled by the NYSERNet business
and administration office in NYC.  So please contact:

	NYSERNet INC
	ATTN:  SGMP Liscensing
	1095 Avenue of the Americas
	Room 1702
	New York, NY  10036

They will need a US Mail address and Person to contact for the
liscenses.  Alternatively that information can be delivered to:

	sgmplisc@nisc.nyser.net

You will receive two liscenses to sign, a 15 page description
of the implementation and an order blank in the US Mail.

Martin Schoffstall
Director of Technology
NYSERNet INC

PS:  for new members of the mailing list  there has
	been a non-commercial (university,non-profit,government)
	liscense available for a number of weeks.  The mechanisms for
	procuring it is the same as above.

perry@MCL.UNISYS.COM (Dennis Perry) (03/08/88)

Marty, I have reservations about the commercial nature of your announcement
which appeared on the snmp list, many of whom are on the Arpanet.
This have been an area which is becoming more gray as time goes by,
but it is a sensitive area and should not become an ongoing policy.

It really does raise an issue in an internet where policy's differ
in this area.  Nysernet may well allow commercial mail, but the
Arpanet does not (in general).  Perhaps this type of mail could be
indicated as a type of service (e.g. 2nd class mail) and networks
which wont accecpt it could reject it.

dennis

schoff@NISC.NYSER.NET ("Marty Schoffstall") (03/08/88)

    Marty, I have reservations about the commercial nature of your announcement
    which appeared on the snmp list, many of whom are on the Arpanet.
    This have been an area which is becoming more gray as time goes by,
    but it is a sensitive area and should not become an ongoing policy.

I certainly don't want to move into the gray area!! but I don't understand
the difference of a non-profit company like NYSERNet announcing availability
of something like SGMP/SNMP, vs CMU announcing its VMS/TCP or SRI
announcing PC/SAM.  I tried to stay in the white but not talking about
money, by not using any of the traditional arpa mailing lists like
tcp-ip, etc...  How does one in the hot environment of network management
get the word out?   As a non-profit you could imagine it might be hard
to take an add out in InfoWorld or Datamation.  But anyway, I don't
think I have to do this again, my responsability to informing the
community is over.

    It really does raise an issue in an internet where policy's differ
    in this area.  Nysernet may well allow commercial mail, but the
    Arpanet does not (in general).  Perhaps this type of mail could be
    indicated as a type of service (e.g. 2nd class mail) and networks
    which wont accecpt it could reject it.

I'm not sure what I sent out was commercial mail, and I don't think that
we allow commercial mail, but like you said it is viewed by you and others
as grey.  TOS would be an interesting may to handle commercial datagrams
though.

Marty

romkey@kaos.UUCP (John Romkey) (03/10/88)

In article <8803081209.AA08843@LANAI.MCL.UNISYS.COM> perry@MCL.UNISYS.COM (Dennis Perry) writes:
>Marty, I have reservations about the commercial nature of your announcement
>which appeared on the snmp list, many of whom are on the Arpanet.

I didn't think Marty's message was too overtly commercial. I thought that
he was trying to emphasize that the new release was also available for
use by commercial organizations (for use as in, you can put into your
product now) whereas old releases hadn't been before.

Many interesting pieces of software are released nowadays which carry notices
that say they can only be used for nonprofit sorts of things. I read Marty's
message as making it clear that there was a way that software developer's
could license this software if they wanted to. In the case of SGMP (or
SNMP or whatever it's being called these days; I'm afraid I'm kind of behind
on this stuff) it's important to get it out to as many noncommercial and
commercial organizations as possible.
--
			- john romkey
		...harvard!spdcc!kaos!romkey