[comp.sys.proteon] proteon users group

sue@UXG.CSO.UIUC.EDU (Sue Greenberg) (08/29/88)

... Looking for volunteers to help get the proteon users group started.
We need three or four people to serve as temporary committee members.
The tasks are 1) serve on  a nominating committee to come up with a
slate of officers and 2) begin thinking about by-laws.  This can be
fun; it will not be time-consuming! Who will help?

cheers!

RAF@NIHCU.BITNET ("Roger Fajman") (08/30/88)

Are there any plans for a Proteon Users BOF at INTEROP 88?  Time and
travel money for a separate users group meeting would be questionable
for me, but I plan to be at INTEROP 88 anyway.  If a BOF isn't long
enough, perhaps a User's Group meeting could be help the Sunday before
or the Saturday after.  This sort of scheduling has worked out pretty
well for the BITNET Technical Meetings, which are held just prior to
SHARE and DECUS.

kwe@bu-cs.BU.EDU (kwe@bu-it.bu.edu (Kent W. England)) (08/30/88)

In article <8808291902.AA16068@devvax.TN.CORNELL.EDU>
>RAF@NIHCU.BITNET ("Roger Fajman") writes:
>Are there any plans for a Proteon Users BOF at INTEROP 88?

I haven't heard of one, but it sounds like a great idea.  Who do we
talk to about arranging a BOF?  Dan Lynch?  I think a lot of p4200 and
Pronet-10/80 users will be there.

>perhaps a User's Group meeting could be help the Sunday before
>or the Saturday after.  This sort of scheduling has worked out pretty
>well for the BITNET Technical Meetings, which are held just prior to
>SHARE and DECUS.

I would expect the main problem with this is getting Proteon to send
people to InterOp this late.  Maybe someone at Proteon could run this
idea up the pole internally and see if a contingent from Proteon could
go/is going.  Of course, we don't need marketing, et al to talk among
ourselves, but that is one feature of a User Group that we could
expect to see.

Your idea of timing the User Group annual meeting with an event like
InterOp is also good.  Any other suggestions for conferences to tag
with?  I think InterOp is probably better than SIGCOMM and way better
than a trade show like LocalNet.  I'm not into DECUS.  How about
comments from others?

Are there any commercial organizations out there interested in this
User Group, or are we all academics?  As I understand it, a
significant amount of Proteon sales are into the IBM-PC LAN market,
but I know next to nothing about this area of LANs.

	Kent England, Boston U

dlw@VIOLET.BERKELEY.EDU (David Wasley) (08/31/88)

I "third" the suggestion for a BOF at InterOP. I understand there will be
significant representation from Proteon there. Sue, Should you make the
request of ACE?
	David

kwe@bu-cs.BU.EDU (kwe@bu-it.bu.edu (Kent W. England)) (09/01/88)

	I took the liberty of calling ACE myself and the person who
answered the phone said she would accept my request.  I expect if
anyone else called about the same BOF they would know.  It's the
"Proteon Users BOF" [unusual, yes?] and my understanding is that ACE
will provide us meeting space (tentatively located in the janitor
closet under the stairs behind the kitchen next to the dumpster :-)
and will try to get it in the program guide and will post notice on
boards and other signs.
	I think that is all there is to it.  Looks like there will be
at least three users :-) and I know several Proteon reps will be
there, including the friendly, knowledgeable, witty and perceptive
p4200 product manager who will spill the beans on all the marvelous
new boards and products Proteon will be coming out with soon to blow
away cisco.  (just kidding Mick!)

	Kent England, BU

	Disclaimer:  Mick Scully is not responsible for my actions.

sue@UXG.CSO.UIUC.EDU (Sue Greenberg) (09/01/88)

david... will you request a bof, please?
         sue

sue@UXG.CSO.UIUC.EDU (Sue Greenberg) (10/19/88)

         Here's the most recent copy of the Proteon Users Group agenda:

                                 USERS GROUP AGENDA

          WEDNESDAY, OCT 26:

          7:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.       Registration/Reception
                                        "The Flying Cloud" Suite

          THURSDAY, OCT. 27:

          7:30 a.m. to 8:30 a.m.        Registration/Continental breakfast

          8:30 a.m. - 8:45 a.m.         Introduction: Patrick Courtin
                                                      Sue Greenberg

          8:45 a.m. - 9:45 a.m.         Keynote: "Update on Network
                                        Management for Internetworks": Jeff
                                        Case

          9:45 a.m. - 10:45 a.m.        Update on FDDI: Howard Salwen

          10:45 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.       Break

          11:00 a.m. - 12:00 a.m.       User Case History: Univ. of IL:
                                        Ed Krol

          12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.        Lunch: Discussion on Formal Proteon
                                        Users Group

                                        Formation of Special Interest
                                        Groups (SIGs)

          1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.         User Panel: ProNET-80 Backbones:
                                             - Chrysler: Bob Adams
                                             - Contel (McDonnel Douglas):
                                               Ed Martin

          2:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.         Proteon Q&A Panel

          3:00 p.m. - 3:15 p.m.         Break

          3:15 p.m. - 4:15 p.m.         Internetworking Protocols:
                                        The Emerging OSPFIGP

          4:15 p.m. - 5:15 p.m.         Internetworking: Proteon's Systems
                                        Approach

          THURSDAY CONT.

          5:15 p.m. - 6:15 p.m.         Hands-on demo

          6:30 p.m.                     Cocktails

          7:00 - 9:00 p.m.              Dinner: "Proteon Today and
                                        Tomorrow": Patrick Courtin

          FRIDAY, OCT. 28:

          8:30 a.m. - 9:30 a.m.         Keynote: "Measuring
                                        Performance":Dr. David Clark, MIT

          9:30 a.m. - 10:00 a.m.        Update on Fiber Optics

          10:00 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.       ProNET-10: A Solution that Keeps
                                        on Growing!

          10:30 a.m. - 10:45 a.m.       Break

          10:45 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.       SIGs Break-out

          12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.        Lunch: Formal Users Group Business;
                                        Next Step Discussion

          1:00 p.m. - 1:30 p.m.         Conclusion/Evaluation