[comp.sys.proteon] Load sharing...

torben@DORSAI.ICS.HAWAII.EDU ("Torben N. Nielsen") (10/31/88)

Anyone know if Proteon has plans to implement load sharing among synchronous
lines anytime soon? I have at least three cases coming up where I really need
that. The only one I know of who now implements load sharing on serial lines
is Sun.

						Torben

kwe@bu-cs.BU.EDU (kwe@bu-it.bu.edu (Kent W. England)) (11/03/88)

In article <88Oct30.235927hst.4257@dorsai.ics.hawaii.edu>
torben@DORSAI.ICS.HAWAII.EDU ("Torben N. Nielsen") writes:
>Anyone know if Proteon has plans to implement load sharing among synchronous
>lines anytime soon? I have at least three cases coming up where I really need
>that. The only one I know of who now implements load sharing on serial lines
>is Sun.
>
>						Torben

	I think it is safe to say that Proteon will be implementing
the OSPFIGP protocol sometime.
	When they do, you will have equal-cost route load sharing
available as part of that protocol (as well as an open protocol).
	However, if you are asking whether you can make two T-1s act
exactly like a single logical link, that's another question.  But you
should be able to do exactly what you want using OSPFIGP.

	[BTW, how do we pronounce "OSPFIGP"?  Sing it to the tune of
"Oh, Christmas Tree"?  Oh, SPF, oh, IGP, how lovely art thy tables..]

	Kent England, Boston University