[comp.sys.proteon] p4200 routing

jrr@NCNOC.TUCC.EDU (Joe Ragland) (12/24/88)

Mark:

A local VMS host running CMU-TEK TCP/IP has revealed an interesting routing
situation with the p4200s.  Turns out that if one says 'telnet 127.0.0.1'
to the local host loopback address, CMU-TEK forwards the packets to
suranet-gw.tucc.edu (p4200) which then forwards the packets down the
default route.  Since Virginia is advertising default, the packets land
on uvaarpa.virginia.edu and uvaarpa answers the telnet request.

Question:  Should the p4200s be forwarding packets for net 127.0?  It
may be that this is one of those situations not explicitly covered in
IP routing RFCs.  Whether or not this is the case, I think the p4200s
should discard such packets with an appropriate error message.

--Joe

sklower@rosemary.Berkeley.EDU (Keith Sklower) (12/26/88)

](With some editing!)... If one says 'telnet 127.0.0.1'
]
]I think the p4200s should discard such packets with an appropriate error
] message.

I do not speak in an official capacity for the 4.3 people, but it is
my strong prejudice that the proteon routers should be doing exactly
what they do now.  It was fairly easy for you to diagnose the problem,
wasn't it?  If the p4200 had discarded the packets, how long would
it have taken you to think about looking at the error logs there?

I'm not sure I would have ever thought about looking off the machine
myself if loopback had (silently) not worked.  [We did have this problem
here once when we were changing some stuff about the way loopback
worked].  If you want somebody to complain about the illegality,
it would seem to me to be the recipient of the bogon, rather than
the forwarder.  (And don't forgot that the the check would be applied
to EVERY packet forwarded.)

[I have the impression that the original intent at Berkeley was to
have the loopback address configurable, rather than cast in stone,
and was something of a local experiment, which is why nobody here
officially applied for a network number for that purpose.  It was
just ``borrowed'', since people here thought it would be a long time
before network number 127 was likely to be assigned.  After some of
the loopback packets escaped onto the arpanet (be it noted from other
places than berkeley itself), other more official raised some sort of
hue and cry about making this all legal]
types raised a hue and cry ]

jrr@NCNOC.TUCC.EDU (Joe Ragland) (12/26/88)

sklower@rosemary.Berkeley.EDU (Keith Sklower) Message-ID:
<27249@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> says in response to my comments about
p4200s forwarding net 127 packets:

>I do not speak in an official capacity for the 4.3 people, but it is
>my strong prejudice that the proteon routers should be doing exactly
>what they do now....

>If you want somebody to complain about the illegality,
>it would seem to me to be the recipient of the bogon, rather than
>the forwarder.

I understand, but then you mention:

>After some of the loopback packets escaped onto the arpanet (be it
>noted from other places than berkeley itself), other more official
>(types) raised some sort of hue and cry about making this all legal]

Yes, and I'd rather no loopback packets be allowed to escape from
our NC network thru a gateway for which I am responsible.  That's why
the forwarder is complaining.

Besides direct Berkeley Unix implementations there are many derivatives
that have replicated using net 127 for loopback.  After a while
widespread general practice moves into the realm of defacto standard
whether carefully planned that way or not.

As to the p4200s having to examine every packet, extensive validity/
conformance examinations are already being made by p4200 logic.  We
regularily examine p4200 error messages.  This procedure is often
the first indicator of a mis-configured host on the network.  With
numerous campus departmental host and LAN administrators (with a great
range of experience and inexperience) I find p4200 error diagnostics
quite valuable.  One more check could hardly make much performance
difference.

Thanks Keith for your comments.

medin@NSIPO.NASA.GOV ("Milo S. Medin", NASA ARC NSI Project Office) (12/27/88)

Joe, if you feel that strongly about grounding net 127 datagrams,
and are willing to check every packet to make sure none get through,
then just add 127 to the filtered networks list, and the p4200
will ground all those packets.

Personally, I'm with Keith.  The network 127 loopback functionality is
a BSD'ism, and hardly something a generic gateway like a p4200
should be concerned with.  The p4200 does provide you the tools to
address the problem, but I don't think the default value should be
to filter...

					Thanks,
					   Milo

jrr@NCNOC.TUCC.EDU (Joe Ragland) (12/27/88)

Milo, yes net 127 loopback is a BSD-ism.  But, it is now an Ultrix-ism,
a SunOS-ism, an etc-ism...  I can appreciate having a 'clean' generic
gateway uncorrupted by -isms but maybe somebody ought to redefine what
generic means occasionally as the IP world evolves.

As I recall the last time I found it necessary to use the filter list
to protect my net from some bogon generator (or to relieve another net
from our bogons) one does not get 'process 2' diagnostic messages
relating to the filter at default log level (76).  I'd like to know in
such cases if the filter is being used (or when the bogons cease).
Also, adding filters or changing log level requires a restart or reboot of
the gateway for changes to take effect, an event I'd rather avoid
especially at busy times.  Maybe a message stating 'packet filtered'
would be beneficial in such cases without having to lower the log
level to the point that you are done in with too much info.  I suspect
there is a bit of tweaking of p4200 logic in this area that might
make the process easier to deal with and less disruptive.

We'll let the 127 loopback issue be.  Thanks for your and Keith's
input.

--Joe

eshop@JUPITER.UCSC.EDU (Jim Warner) (12/28/88)

>Personally, I'm with Keith.  The network 127 loopback functionality is
>a BSD'ism, and hardly something a generic gateway like a p4200
>should be concerned with.
>					Thanks,
>					   Milo
The status of 127 is now something more than a BSD'ism.  RFC1009
says in section 4.4 "It is the responsibility of a gateway to
avoid propagating such erroneous addresses;..."  The section
contains a reference to section 2.1(g) which specifically mentions
(127, <any>).

jim warner

jrr@NCNOC.TUCC.EDU (Joe Ragland) (12/28/88)

Thanks Jim for the RFC1009 references.  Looks like Bob Braden and Jon
Postel are ahead of me.  A copy of RFC1009 is maintained on this host
(ncnoc) for anonymous ftp but this discussion has progressed while I
am at home for the holidays with a slow modem and no printer.  Was just
applying some 'country' logic which says we have no business zinging
packets for net 127 towards the Internet without some bells ringing or
buzzers sounding.

fedor@PATTON.NYSER.NET (12/28/88)

>Date: Sat, 24 Dec 88 09:40:02 EST
>From: Joe Ragland <jrr@ncnoc.tucc.edu>
>Subject: p4200 routing
>
>Mark:
>
>A local VMS host running CMU-TEK TCP/IP has revealed an interesting routing
>situation with the p4200s.  Turns out that if one says 'telnet 127.0.0.1'
>to the local host loopback address, CMU-TEK forwards the packets to
>suranet-gw.tucc.edu (p4200) which then forwards the packets down the
>default route.  Since Virginia is advertising default, the packets land
>on uvaarpa.virginia.edu and uvaarpa answers the telnet request.
>
>Question:  Should the p4200s be forwarding packets for net 127.0?  It
>may be that this is one of those situations not explicitly covered in
>IP routing RFCs.  Whether or not this is the case, I think the p4200s
>should discard such packets with an appropriate error message.
>
>--Joe

	Joe,

	Way back in the beginning of NYSERNet the same situation
	happened, but it wasn't with mail, it was with the
	syslog messages.  Seems as if some ultrix machines were
	sending their syslog messages to localhost (127.0.0.1).
	The ultrix machines didn't have a route to the loopback
	interface (it was config'ed down).  So, the syslog
	messages happened to follow the default path of NYSERNet
	until it got to a machine that had a route to 127.0.0.1.
	Unfortunately, that was my machine! :^)

	Kind of amusing, but a definate pain.

	To answer your question, looking at my copy of RFC 1009:

	in section 2.1:

	(g) [127, <any>]

	    Internal host loopback address.  Should never appear
	    outside host.

	Then, in section 4.4 "Special addresses and Filters":

	"We can distinquish two classes of these special cases.
	 The first (cases (a), (b), (c), (g), (h), and (i) in
	 section 2.1) contains addresses which should never
	 appear in the destination address field of any IP datagram,
	 so a gateway should never be asked to route one of these
	 addresses.  However, in the real world of imperfect
	 implementation and configuration errors, such bad destination
	 addresses do occur.  It is the responsibility of the gateway
	 to avoid propogating such erroneous addresses; this is
	 especially important for gateways included in the global
	 interconnect system.  In particular, a gateway which receives
	 a datagram with one of these forbidden addresses should:

		1. Avoid inserting that address into its routing database
		   and avoid including it in routing updates to any
		   other gateway.

		2. Avoid forwarding a datagram containing that address as
		   a destination.

	To enforce these restrictions, it is suggested that a gateway
	include a configurable filter for datagrams and routing
	updates. ......"

	So, it seems as if the P4200 is compliant with the RFC as it
	has a filter mechanism available.  The question is, should the
	filter for 127.0.0.0 be automatically enabled or should it be
	a manual thing like it is now.

	Maybe a line in the proteon users manual about "recommending
	this filter"  if the gateway is participating in the internet.

	What do you think?

	Mark

	P.S.  If you want to get picky, your CMU-TEK IP is broken.

fedor@PATTON.NYSER.NET (12/29/88)

>Date: Tue, 27 Dec 88 09:45:49 PST
>From: Jim Warner <eshop@jupiter.ucsc.edu>
>Subject: Re: p4200 routing
>
>>Personally, I'm with Keith.  The network 127 loopback functionality is
>>a BSD'ism, and hardly something a generic gateway like a p4200
>>should be concerned with.
>>					Thanks,
>>					   Milo
>The status of 127 is now something more than a BSD'ism.  RFC1009
>says in section 4.4 "It is the responsibility of a gateway to
>avoid propagating such erroneous addresses;..."  The section
>contains a reference to section 2.1(g) which specifically mentions
>(127, <any>).
>
>jim warner

	After posting my initial message on this subject, I bounced
	the RFC text off of someone here.  I think the wording in the
	RFC in section 4.4 is ambiguous, contradictory, whatever.

	In the excerpt that jim provided above, it seems to imply that
	the gateway should never forward 127.0.0.1 regardless of the
	configuration.  It is the responsibility of the gateway, not the
	network administrator.

	But.... the following paragraph begins something like:
	"To enforce these restrictions, it is suggested that a
	 gateway include a configurable filter for datagrams and
	 routing updates."

	Now after thinking about it for a whole ten minutes, I would
	say that the P4200 is compliant to the wording of the RFC, but
	not the "spirit" of section 4.4 in RFC 1009.

	And so it goes,

	Mark

jrr@ncnoc.tucc.edu (Joe Ragland) (12/29/88)

Hello Mark (Fedor this time, not Oros):

Yea, ain't running a gateway wonderful.  Before last Fall when we lost
our ARPANET line we occasionally got somebody's syslog records, usually
from some SURANET site.  Guess advertising default is like asking your
neighbors (near and far) for their IP garbage.  If you don't know where
to send it, then send it here and maybe we'll do something with it!
We might even answer your localhost telnet request...  Gateways have
got to be rather tough beasts, prepared for whatever.

This CMU-TEK IP may be broken but it sure is not mine eventhough I have
to deal with the results.  With seven campuses in seven cities, over a
1000 hosts (don't count PCs) I have enough trouble keeping up with the
various LAN administrators (their name, telephone number, and e-mail
address).  Make no attempt to keep up with host administrators.

When I get back at my office next week I'll take a close look at RFC
1009 but it seems you have conveyed the essence rather clear.  How the
p4200 complies leaves some room for opinion.  Without my p4200
documentation in hand I seem to recall the filter mechanism works only
for explicit IP addresses, not network classes.  That is you can filter
127.0.0.1, 127.0.0.2, etc. but can not filter all possible 127
addresses by filtering for 127.0.0.0.  If this is the case then some
situations would be more difficult to specify.  However, loopback in most
Unix implementations is explicitly 127.0.0.1 as far as I know.

Yes, some discussion in the p4200 user's manual on specific internet
filtering would be appropriate.  But, I would prefer the default be
something other than forwarding packets destined for 127.0.0.1 without
a whimper.

Happy New Year,
Joe

medin@nsipo.nasa.gov ("Milo S. Medin", NASA ARC NSI Project Office) (12/29/88)

Joe, the filter command works ONLY on network classes.  If you want
host level granularity, you have to resort to using the access
control system...

					Thanks,
					   Milo

jrr@NCNOC.TUCC.EDU (Joe Ragland) (12/29/88)

p4200 folks,

I think I am ready to draw this recent discussion to an end or at least
my participation in it by saying thanks to all who took their time to
give us their input.  Also, I've learned some things I'd like to share
with you.

When I was drug into the IP world I was first told that one most
important functions of a gateway was the firewall function.  It protects
your network from mine and my network from yours and forwards only those
packets or datagrams that meet some test of conformity and validity.
Then, there was no definitive document that detailed what is involved
in the process, only general notions of routing and some discussion of
various protocols involved.  Now we have RFC-1009 and I am pleased it is
explicit in marking packets addresses to net 127 as bogons to be
short circuited at the gateway.

When RFC-1009 came out I retrieved a copy, printed a copy, and then set
it aside saying I should read it some day when I get the time.  My
thinking then was that this RFC is important to those designing gateways
and writing code for such purposes but since I am doing neither it is
of less importance to me.  That was a mistake.  If I had read it I at
least might have remembered some reference to net 127.  What I reacted
to was a crack in the p4200 firewall.

As I reflect on this discussion I come to the conclusion that all of us
involved directly in the gateway game need to read carefully RFC-1009.
It is up to those of us with networking responsibilities to enforce
standards and requirements as they evolve by insisting that vendors
have met those standards when we are out to procure the next set of
gateway boxes.  Otherwise, Braden and Postel have wasted their time and
we are in for a heap of trouble down the road trying to interoperate
especially in view of plans for NSFNET, RIB, DRI, various agency and
academic networks.

In general the p4200 does a good job of firewalling and a nice job
of reporting events in this regard.  It could use a bit more attention
in this respect so I trust someone at Proteon is listening.  I'd be
surprised if Cisco and other gateway vendors don't read
comp.sys.proteon too so there is some message here I think for all.

Happy gatewaying in the new year.

Joe

jnc@BRUBECK.PROTEON.COM (12/30/88)

	I'm just going to make a quick comment about standards documents,
wearing my Standards Committee hat. One of the problems with RFC-1009 is
the amount of ambiguity about exactly what you must, should and may do.
As some of the previous messages on this issue indicate, there is some
confusion and contradiction in the document as to how gateways should
handle net 127.
	I think RFC1009 is the among the last of the 'old-style' RFC's,
which were written in a breezy, informal style suitable to researchers.
With the larger deployment of TCP/IP as a service which people depend on,
this style had to be modified a bit, and I think there is general agreement
that we need a little more formality (although not ISO-ese :-).
	There is a group working under Bob Braden to produce the host
equivalent of RFC-1009 (of which I am a member), and as those of you who
have seen drafts of this can attest, it works much harder to be explicit
and consistent. There will probably be a revision of 1009 to match the
same standards (and to catch up with changes) once the Host one is done.
	At that time, it should be much easier to determine whether or not
a given implementation is abiding by the spec. What to do with ones which
do abide by the spec but don't do what you want will still be an issue, of
course, but at least users will have a mechanism for legitimate gripes with
vendors who aren't following specs, and vendors will have a bit of protection
from unwarranted angst if they are following the spec.
	So, I think (and hope) that the situation in the future will improve
wth regard to standards, and people following them. The Internet, as a large,
multi-vendor system, will not work unless things do improve.

	Noel
-------

lekash@ORVILLE.NAS.NASA.GOV (John Lekashman) (12/31/88)

   As to the p4200s having to examine every packet, extensive validity/
   conformance examinations are already being made by p4200 logic.  We
   regularily examine p4200 error messages.  This procedure is often
   the first indicator of a mis-configured host on the network.  With
   numerous campus departmental host and LAN administrators (with a great
   range of experience and inexperience) I find p4200 error diagnostics
   quite valuable.  One more check could hardly make much performance
   difference.

I also have found that Proteon Gateway complaints are an excellent
source for determining misconfigured hosts.  Proteon might consider more
extensive filtering capability and information about traffic activity.
However, the key is the degree of user configurability of it.  The
statement that one more check could hardly make a difference can
just lead on forever.  We also use Vitalink bridge products a great
deal, and have found one of the major wins on these pieces of
equipment is the ability to create user defined packet characteristics
about what gets forwarded.

							john

jqj@oregon.uoregon.edu (J Q Johnson) (01/17/89)

Two questions on Proteon routing and RIP:

NorthWestNet is built with Proteon P4200s connected by 19.2Kb trellis on
voice grade lines and 56Kb digital lines.  We use RIP as our IGP.  With
two different line speeds and redundant paths, we sometimes have
problems getting the default paths to be the least cost.  Cursory
reading of the P4200 manual indicates that there is no way to assign a
higher than 1 cost to a serial line (so as to make a slow link appear to
be 2 or 3 hops compared to a fast link).  Am I correct, or is there some
way to do this I don't see?

Also, we're interested in investigating higher speed modems on voice grade
lines as a way to reduce inequity.  Does anyone have any experience with
Microcom MNP level 9 modems (the things that are claimed to get 38.4Kb on
voice grade lines) between Proteon routers?

louie@TRANTOR.UMD.EDU ("Louis A. Mamakos") (01/17/89)

I've also wanted the capability of assigning a metric of greater than 1
to a network interface.  In my case, I have a choice between rundendent
paths of pronet-80 and a ethernet-over-broadband.  I'd like to force routes
to the pronet unless its down.

Also, has anyone got a tool to manage and load configurations of P4200's?
It would sure be nice if you could configure them the say way we manage our
Encore Annex terminal servers;  they use an RPC based mechanism to set all
of the vital parameters in the box.

Maybe we can hope something will come of SNMP SETs...

louie

CLIFF@UCBCMSA.BITNET (Cliff Frost {415} 642-5360) (01/18/89)

Hi,
Are you sending a whole pile of routes across your serial links, or
just default and possibly a couple of others?  If just default and
one or two others, it's fairly easy to do what you want.  If it's a
whole pile of routes it might be simple or impractical.

How to do it (if it's even possible) depends a lot on your specific
topology.  Send me a note if you want to discuss it more.

        Cliff Frost                   (415) 642-5360
        Central Computing Services    <cliff@berkeley.edu>
        University of California      CLIFF AT UCBCMSA
        Berkeley, CA 94720
Re: