[comp.sys.proteon] COM-4 Boards

RUBIN@GRAF.POLY.EDU (David Rubin) (05/16/89)

I am in the process of setting up a link between two P4200's via
our campus PBX.  I am trying to figure out the proper settings to configure
the PBX's data connection.  Right now we are using a 56k leased line.

What I need to know are:

- Baud rate (i.e. 56k or 57.6k or does it really matter)
- Protocol (BiSync, HDLC, or SDLC)

Any help would be appreciated.

--
Dave Rubin - rubin@graf.poly.edu
Polytechnic University

tvm@proteon.com (Tom Miceli) (05/17/89)

All the p4200 expects of the PBX is to receive two clocks (transmit
and receive), and that data be passed unaltered.

Be sure that the PBX is not trying to understand, compress,
re-packetize, or interpret the data.  Sure, the framing is HDLC/SLDC
(only difference is that SLDC requires length to be a multiple of 8
bits), but the contents are not.  If there is a configuration option,
you should be very suspicious that the PBX is trying to be a packet
switch, rather than a pipe.  (The advantage of the packet switch
approach is that bandwidth is not used constantly on the PBX trunk
circuits.)  Of course, it is free to use the capacity while the p4200
is just sending idles between packets.

tvm@proteon.com_ (Tom_Miceli) (05/17/89)

All the p4200 expects of the PBX is to receive two clocks (transmit
and receive), and that data be passed unaltered.

Be sure that the PBX is not trying to understand, compress,
re-packetize, or interpret the data.  Sure, the framing is HDLC/SLDC
(only difference is that SLDC requires length to be a multiple of 8
bits), but the contents are not.  If there is a configuration option,
you should be very suspicious that the PBX is trying to be a packet
switch, rather than a pipe.  (The advantage of the packet switch
approach is that bandwidth is not used constantly on the PBX trunk
circuits.)  Of course, it is free to use the capacity while the p4200
is just sending idles between packets.

medin@NSIPO.NASA.GOV ("Milo S. Medin", NASA ARC NSI Project Office) (05/18/89)

Actually, the p4200 is very fussy about modem control signals (as it should
be!), and some PBX's may not support all of the signals it's looking
for.  There is an excellent description of what signals are used in
the hardware reference manual...   Be sure and check your cable carries
the required signals.

						thanks,
						   Milo

PS For what it's worth, we ran p4200's over a 19.2 Kb Northern Telecom
digital PBX sync. link, and it worked fine after the PBX was
strapped to deal with the modem control signals it SHOULD have been
producing...