[comp.sys.proteon] In search of FDDI ...

kwe@bu-cs.BU.EDU (kwe@bu-it.bu.edu (Kent W. England)) (05/31/89)

In article <8905291959.AA24086@monk.proteon.com>
jnc@proteon.com (J. Noel Chiappa) writes:

>	Proteon is not yet shipping any FDDI products. I forget what's been
>announced, but I know a Multibus board for the p4200 has definitely been
>announced.

	I missed that announcement.  Could someone from Proteon run
that "announcement" past this list?  Dates?  Terms?  Pronet-80 to FDDI
migration?

	Kent England, Boston University

jas@proteon.com (John A. Shriver) (05/31/89)

Well, normally I try and answer messages offline, but clearly a lot of
confusion has arisen here.  I will do my best to be non-commercial,
but it's almost impossible to answer these questions and do so.

ProNET-80 is what we sell today.  It is not FDDI.  Part of the FDDI
technology is based on ProNET-80, but other parts are not.  FDDI was
designed by a committee, of which we were only one member.  ProNET-80
does use the same fiber (type, size, wavelength) as FDDI.  I suspect
this is what gets confused with FDDI.

We are developing FDDI support for the p4200.  We have not "announced"
a product.  We do not announce products prematurely.  To quote from
the May 22, 1989 PC Week:

	"...Proteon is developing the p4200 interface for the
	partially defined FDDI, but will not release a product
	until the product is fully tested and defined..."

Like any potential FDDI vendor, we have to wait for the FDDI SMT
standard to develop.  We are active on that committee as well.

Oh yes, later in the article they dropped a zero from the price (no
way am I mentioning the price on the Internet).  The field offices
have prices and policies.

On other questions, FDDI is 100 megabits, over fiber only.  The only
media option currently under consideration is an option for using
laser transmitters instead of LEDs (more distance).  There are other
standards groups looking at the next generation of speed.  The next
generation of FDDI may well focus on even higher levels of
fault-tolerance (the miltary).

jnc@proteon.com (J. Noel Chiappa) (05/31/89)

	Ken, I was just repeating the sense of an article I saw in the trade
rags. PC Week, May 22, 1989: 'Proteon Readies FDDI, X.25 Interfaces'. I
assumed everyone had seen it (or something similar in ComputerWorld or
InfoWorld); I mean, people my wife works with at NASA had seen the PC Week
one and shown it to her!
	"Proteon promised to offer an interface to its p4200 .. router that
supports the emerging [FDDI] standard for 100M-bps fiber-optic networks..
The company will release its interface once the FDDI standard is completely
defined next year.."
	One thing in that article that I know is wrong (for those of you who
saw it) is where it is talking about "the interface will be available next
year for less than $1,500 (sic)"; they dropped a 0 there.

	This is just a guess on my part, but I suspect that Proteon didn't
publicize this on the mailing list since that would count as 'adverising',
and we all know commercial entities aren't supposed to use the Government
supported parts of the Internet for that.
	I expect that if you call you friendly Proteon salesbeing, they can
tell you more.

	Noel