[comp.sys.proteon] Problem using subnetting

BENCHOFF@VTVM1.CC.VT.EDU (Phil Benchoff) (11/29/89)

I  am  having  a  problem  setting a subnet mask for one of the networks
attached to my p4200.  The interface address is 128.173.1.1 and the mask
I am trying to set is 255.255.224.0.   I know that  this  is  a  strange
choice  of masks,  but three bits is all I can use at the moment without
changing a lot of IP addresses on the local cable.

>From IP Config,  I ADD SUB 128.173.0.0 255.255.224.0.   When I  re-start
the  router  (rel 8.1A),   it won't talk to anything on the local cable.
It doesn't even send RIP updates on the  local  cable.    If  I  use  an
eight-bit  subnet  mask,    the  router does send traffic onto the local
cable.

Proteon tech support says that this should work.   Can anyone  think  of
any other configuration item that I may be forgetting?  All of the hosts
on the local cable are in the range 128.173.[1-31].xxx.

Thanks, Phil Benchoff, benchoff@vtvm1.cc.vt.edu

cliff@violet.berkeley.edu (Cliff Frost) (11/30/89)

I think the problem is that you're trying to use subnet 0, which isn't
allowed.  (Eg, if you had a netmask of 255.255.255 you couldn't use
128.173.0.1.)  Given the range of addresses on the cable I can't think
of a solution short of changing the addresses in at least some of
the machines, but I could be wrong.

Obviously it would be nice if the IP Config process told you at config
time that you did something wrong, but I know from experience that
it doesn't, nor do any enlightening messages appear in process 2 at
runtime when the router obviously detects the problem.

	Cliff Frost, cliff@berkeley.edu

Re: