[comp.sys.proteon] Restart/Reload connection loss

romanell@brahms.udel.edu (Richard Romanelli) (09/24/90)

We are trying to set up a policy for the restart and reload of Proteon
Routers on our 80Mb ring.  All 10 of the P4200s are running 8.2 software
with the new ROMs.  The main idea is to maintain connections through
the routers when doing restarts and reloads or not notify eveyone
affected of our intention to restart/reload.

Through experimentation we have found that restarts do not affect
connections.  Is this always the case and should we feel free to restart
a router without notification, knowing connections will not be dropped?

For the most part, reloads, even with the new ROMs, do no affect connections.
Some connections have dropped in the past, however, when we reload a
router.  Certainly the network software being run on individual hosts will
affect the robust-ness of the connection.  When does a P4200 determine that
a host/net is unreachable?  Should we reload only after everyone on the
net has been notified?

Rich Romanelli
University of Delaware

ron@brahms.udel.edu (Ron Reisor) (09/25/90)

In article <13982@brahms.udel.edu> romanell@brahms.udel.edu (Richard Romanelli) writes:

>For the most part, reloads, even with the new ROMs, do no affect connections.
>Some connections have dropped in the past, however, when we reload a
>router.  Certainly the network software being run on individual hosts will
>affect the robust-ness of the connection.  When does a P4200 determine that
>a host/net is unreachable?  Should we reload only after everyone on the
>net has been notified?

It's not clear that reloads do not affect tcp connections.  Certainly if
there's a problem that shows up during the reload, and minutes instead
of seconds of router down time is experienced, then tcp connections are
likely to be broken.  I have noticed tcp connections die for no apparent
reason--this tends to happen only when the connections go off subnet 13.

You will build more confidence in the network if you notify everyone, at
lease through this news group, whenever you restart or reload a router.
That way, if there are no problems caused, people read the notification
and think "it really doesn't cause any problems".  But, if the restart
does cause problems we would at least have a chance of relating the
problem to the restart.

I think it's too much to notify everyone before the reload, but you
should document, at least in this news group, every reload.

Ron

swb@DAINICHI.TN.CORNELL.EDU (Scott Brim) (09/25/90)

	I think it's too much to notify everyone before the reload, but you
	should document, at least in this news group, every reload.

	Ron

Yipe!  If you're going to do that, please keep the announcement local to
UDel.
						Thanks ... Scott

louie@SAYSHELL.UMD.EDU ("Louis A. Mamakos") (09/25/90)

The problem is caused by traffic through the router just after restart/reload,
when the router doesn't have a route to the destination.  It sends a Destination
Unreachable ICMP advisory to the source of the traffic.  Most BSD based TCP
implementations and applications tend to give up when such an ICMP message
arrives.

You could try to configure a default route to handle this interval after you
restart/reload the router, but before it has got routing information via RIP,
EGP, OSFP, etc.  This is sort of ugly.  But I suppose, so is restarting the
router to give it a new configuration.  I once suggested to Proteon that they
inhibit generation of ICMP messages for some interval after the router starts
up to avoid this problem.

louie

ron@brahms.udel.edu (Ron Reisor) (09/25/90)

Duh...  Sorry folks!  Rich Romanelli and I are talk about routers
at UDel and not outside of UDel.  I thought I was replying to our
local "udel.networks" list, but my message leaked into comp.sys.proteon.
I just sent a follow up message and didn't watch what I was doing.

On the other hand: thanks Louie for reconfirming what I believed was
happening when routers were restarted, and thanks Scott for pointing
out how silly it would be to notify this news group when a router
was restarted at UDel.

cheers,

Ron