[net.micro] Microsystems...

William Chops Westfield <BillW@sri-kl.ARPA> (11/18/84)

Uhh, someone corect me if Im wrong, but if microsystems went out of
business, that probably means that they are broke, chapter 11 and all
of that - which means that you probably can't expect a refund at all.
That you'all were offered a "free" subscription to another magazine
seems unusual and rather nice... (even if youre not interested).

I was a subscriber to "MicroComputing", which has also sent out its
last issue, and havent heard anything about refunds OR replacements.

BillW

CSTROM@SIMTEL20.ARPA (11/18/84)

Microsystems is one of several magazines in the Ziff-Davis stable that
was terminated. Microsystems is not a separate business entity and
thus did not go broke (nor did Ziff-Davis). There was a tremendous
shakeup there and many of Z-D's magazines are on the block... rumor
has it that the New York Times Corp. is a leading contender to
purchase them. Interestingly, the remaining 11(?) computer-oriented
magazines will remain under Z-D ownership.

I have heard lots of stories from insiders as to the reasoning behind
the death of Microsystems, but I suspect the bottom line was that they
were just now turning a profit. Ever since Z-D had purchased the
magazine, it was running in the red. I guess it was mostly a business
decision.

I understand that Micro Cornucopia (P.O. Box 223, Bend, Oregon 97709)
is planning to fill the void by expanding its realm of interest from
strictly Kaypro/Xerox to general "enthusiast" material. Dave Hardy and
Sol Libes will be columnists in the new uC.

-Charlie

jose rodriguez <jrodrig@mitre-gateway.ARPA> (11/18/84)

Microsystems went through chapter 11? Not neccesarily, Ziff-Davies has
a reputation of dropping mags because they are not profitable enough.

Jose
jrodrig@mitre-gw

oacb2@ut-ngp.UUCP (oacb2) (11/19/84)

Microsystems is (was) not a company, so it could not go broke.  The publisher
(Ziff-Davis) is still very much in business and has not declared bankrupcy.
They simply decided not to publish the magazine any more (presumably, of
course, because it was not profitable).

They have tried to pull a fast one by sending out letters with a deadline
for reply only a few days after they sent it and only giving one option --
substitution of PC World.  I don't think they can get away with that and
suspect that anyone who sends them a letter asking for it will get a refund.
--

	Mike Rubenstein, OACB, UT Medical Branch, Galveston TX 77550

jans@mako.UUCP (Jan Steinman) (11/20/84)

[Ziff-Davis, this line's for you.  EAT IT!]

In article <ut-ngp.1090> oacb2@ut-ngp.UUCP (oacb2) writes:
>...The publisher (Ziff-Davis)... simply decided not to publish the magazine
>any more (presumably, of course, because it was not profitable).

The rumor I have heard is that Microsystems >was< profitable, but Z-D
ANALysts decided there wasn't enough potential for circulation growth.  It's
predatory capitalism at its finest -- during a recession (which many
industries still have, despite Reagonomics) it is cheaper to buy
manufacturing capacity than build it.  Z-D found a quick, cheap way to hire a
bunch of trained publishing people, pick up some capital equipment, and
add new, unsuspecting subscribers to the rolls of PC Tech Journal, which
brings us to...

>They have tried to pull a fast one by sending out letters with a deadline
>for reply only a few days after they sent it and only giving one option --
>substitution of PC World.  I don't think they can get away with that and
>suspect that anyone who sends them a letter asking for it will get a refund.

As I netted in an open letter to Z-D, I would urge anyone who receives
unwanted issues of PC Tech Journal to return them C.O.D. to Z-D.  (Of course,
 I cannot even suggest return address fraud, but it doesn't take much
 imagination to figure out who Z-D would be willing to receive C.O.D. from!)

--
:::::: Jan Steinman		Box 1000, MS 61-161	(w)503/685-2843 ::::::
:::::: tektronix!tekecs!jans	Wilsonville, OR 97070	(h)503/657-7703 ::::::