[net.music] Sea Level query

mms1646@acf4.UUCP (Michael M. Sykora) (08/13/85)

Anyone know where I can get albums by Sea Level, which may be out of
print.  I have one of their albums, "On the Edge," which was released
by Capricorn, and I know htey made at least one ohter album,
"Cats on the Coast," but I don't know who released that one (or others, if
there were any).

Incidentally, are they still around?  I suppose they broke up when the
Allmans got back together, but I'm not sure, and I don't even know if
the Allmans are still together (who really cares, given the tripe they
released most recently).  Any information about the band or its members,
particularly Chuck Leavall and Randall Bramlett would be greatly appreciated.

					Thanks in advance,
					Mike Sykora

P.S.  --  I highly reccomend the album "On the Edge" to all.  If I had
to categorize it, I'd say it is tasty, bluesy fusion, with little if
any of the excess that one often finds in fusion.

mms1646@acf4.UUCP (Michael M. Sykora) (08/14/85)

Anyone know where I can get albums by Sea Level, which may be out of
print.  I have one of their albums, "On the Edge," which was released
by Capricorn, and I know they made at least one ohter album,
"Cats on the Coast," but I don't know who released that one (or others, if
there were any).

Incidentally, are they still around?  I suppose they broke up when the
Allmans got back together, but I'm not sure, and I don't even know if
the Allmans are still together (who really cares, given the tripe they
released most recently).  Any information about the band or its members,
particularly Chuck Leavall and Randall Bramlett would be greatly appreciated.

					Thanks in advance,
					Mike Sykora

P.S.  --  I highly recommend the album "On the Edge" to all.  If I had

andrew@grkermi.UUCP (Andrew W. Rogers) (08/14/85)

In article <5320002@acf4.UUCP> mms1646@acf4.UUCP (Michael M. Sykora) writes:
>Anyone know where I can get albums by Sea Level, which may be out of
>print.  I have one of their albums, "On the Edge," which was released
>by Capricorn, and I know they made at least one other album,
>"Cats on the Coast," but I don't know who released that one (or others, if
>there were any).

Try a good used record store, or check out the ads in Goldmine.  Almost
everything on Capricorn is out of print, although the best sellers (ABB @
Fillmore East, etc.) have been reissued on various Warner/Atlantic labels.

I had "Cats On The Coast" and gave it away just last week; I would have
gladly sent it to you had I received your posting first.  Yes, it was
on Capricorn; I don't think there were any others.

>Incidentally, are they still around?  I suppose they broke up when the
>Allmans got back together, but I'm not sure...

No, but I doubt that it had anything to do with the Allmans' reunion.
I don't think anyone from Sea Level was involved in the re-formed Allmans;
Mike Lawler was second keyboardist, David Goldflies bassist, and Dan Toler
second guitarist on "Brothers of the Road".  I don't remember if JJJ rejoined
the Allmans or not, but I know none of the others did.

>Any information about the band or its members, particularly Chuck Leavall
>and Randall Bramlett would be greatly appreciated.

Chuck Leavell (C. Level) is in studioland.  There was an interview with him
not too long ago in (I think) Musician; if I can find it I'll post a pointer
to it.  No idea of what happened to Randall Bramblett; you may not be aware
that he recorded at least two solo albums prior to joining Sea Level after
their first.

Lamar Williams died of cancer a few years ago.  (Now there's a macabre trivia
question... what band has *two* dead bass players?)

AWR

andrew@grkermi.UUCP (Andrew W. Rogers) (08/14/85)

>>Anyone know where I can get albums by Sea Level, which may be out of
>>print.  I have one of their albums, "On the Edge,"....
>
>I had "Cats On The Coast"... I don't think there were any others.

Sorry about that.  I was confusing "COTC" with the self-titled first album;
there were three Sea Level albums, all on Capricorn:

	Sea Level		1977
	Cats On The Coast	1978
	Over The Edge		1978

AWR

ryan@fremen.DEC (Mike Ryan DTN 264-8280 MK01-2/H32) (08/15/85)

---------------------Reply to mail dated 12-AUG-1985 19:55---------------------

>Posted by: decwrl!decvax!genrad!panda!talcott!harvard!seismo!cmcl2!acf4!mms1646
>
>Anyone know where I can get albums by Sea Level, which may be out of
>print.  I have one of their albums, "On the Edge," which was released
>by Capricorn, and I know htey made at least one ohter album,
>"Cats on the Coast," but I don't know who released that one (or others, if
>there were any).

"Cats on the Coast" was released by Capricorn.  It's pretty decent (not as
good as "On the Edge" of course).  Their debut album "Sea Level" I believe
was also on Capricorn, but I've never heard it.  I think, though, that
Bramblett wasn't with them yet at that point.  I also have "Long Walk on a
Short Pier" (which followed "On the Edge"), which is also pretty good.  They
had another album called "Ball Room", which was rather straight-forward (and
dull) rock - it's the last one I know for sure of.

>Incidentally, are they still around?  I suppose they broke up when the
>Allmans got back together, but I'm not sure, and I don't even know if
>the Allmans are still together (who really cares, given the tripe they
>released most recently).  Any information about the band or its members,
>particularly Chuck Leavall and Randall Bramlett would be greatly appreciated.

I've been wondering that myself - the last thing I'd heard was that they were
on the verge of releasing a new album when the bass player Lamar Williams died
(cancer, I believe).  I don't know if that album was ever released.  I'm pretty
sure that Leavell and Bramblett were not with the reformed Allmans (now defunct
- they lost theit record contract, and Dickie Betts and Gregg Allman weren't
getting along too well, so they've got their own bands now).

>					Thanks in advance,
>					Mike Sykora
>

>P.S.  --  I highly reccomend the album "On the Edge" to all.  If I had
>to categorize it, I'd say it is tasty, bluesy fusion, with little if
>any of the excess that one often finds in fusion.

Yes!! One of my all-time favorite albums - jazz-rock fusion with some healthy
tastes of funk.  About half the songs they did (at least previous to "Long
Walk...") were instrumental. Unfortunately, my copy jumped out of my hands to
the floor a few months ago, and I haven't been able to find a new copy (and
I'd lost my tape copy, too). Sigh...

Mike Ryan
ARPA:	ryan%fremen.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA
UUCP:	{decvax,allegra,ihnp4,ucbvax,...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-fremen!ryan

hedger@ada-uts.UUCP (08/15/85)

Chuck Leveall has been up to quite a few things recently.....
He tours and records with the Rolling Stones, I believe he's on
some of the tracks from Jagger's latest solo album (She's the Boss??),
and he's also does clinics and endorses Korg synthesizers and effects.
I read recently that Leveall does have a solo album coming out soon
and I think it was going to be on a small independent label.....
As far as I know, all of SEALEVEL'S albums were recorded on the
Capricorn label.......keith hedger-intermetrics

kfb@mtuxo.UUCP (k.brand) (08/28/85)

> >>Anyone know where I can get albums by Sea Level, which may be out of
> >>print.  I have one of their albums, "On the Edge,"....
> >
> >I had "Cats On The Coast"... I don't think there were any others.
>
> Sorry about that.  I was confusing "COTC" with the self-titled first album;
> there were three Sea Level albums, all on Capricorn:
>
> 	Sea Level		1977
> 	Cats On The Coast	1978
> 	Over The Edge		1978
>
> AWR

I am pretty sure that Sea Level had one more album after over the edge.
I can't remember the title although it may have included ballroom or
dream.
How's that for sketchy information?
Anyway the important information is that the last album was lousy.
Sea Level and Over the Edge were both good albums.
Cats on the Coast was OK.
If you live in N. J. and want to hook your tape deck to mine I
can make you copies of any of the three albums.

                                         kevin brand
                                         mtuxo!kfb

saltiel@cdstar.UUCP (Jack Saltiel) (08/29/85)

In article <921@mtuxo.UUCP>, kfb@mtuxo.UUCP (k.brand) writes:

> > >I had "Cats On The Coast"... I don't think there were any others.
> >
> > Sorry about that.  I was confusing "COTC" with the self-titled first album;
> > there were three Sea Level albums, all on Capricorn:
> >
> > 	Sea Level		1977
> > 	Cats On The Coast	1978
> > 	Over The Edge		1978
> >
> > AWR
>
> I am pretty sure that Sea Level had one more album after over the edge.
> I can't remember the title although it may have included ballroom or
> dream.
> How's that for sketchy information?
> Anyway the important information is that the last album was lousy.
> Sea Level and Over the Edge were both good albums.
> Cats on the Coast was OK.
> If you live in N. J. and want to hook your tape deck to mine I
> can make you copies of any of the three albums.
>
>                                          kevin brand
>                                          mtuxo!kfb
The last album was "Ballroom". Distributed by Arista in 1980/1.
I'm willing to trade tapes ( which I'll make ) for live
Dead/Dire Straights/or Allan Brothers tapes.

--
					Jack Saltiel
					Cambridge Digital Systems

	"Nailed retreads to my feet and prayed for better weather."