[comp.sys.proteon] Seminar Announcement

louie@sayshell.umd.edu ("Louis A. Mamakos") (03/06/91)

Is this really appropriate material for the Proteon mailing list?

louie

>   /*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*
>   *                                                                      *
>   *  T h e   M e r i t   N e t w o r k i n g   S e m i n a r s           *
>   *                                                                      *
>   *                                                                      *
>   *  M A K I N G  Y O U R  N S F N E T  C O N N E C T I O N   C O U N T  *
>   *                                                                      *
>   *                                                                      *
>   /*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*

Susan_Calcari@um.cc.umich.edu (03/06/91)

Last August (1990) we sent a similar announcement about our November seminar
to this list without complaint.  However, we are trying to be sensitive to
the feelings of people who read lists, especailly many lists (!) and will
agree not to send any further announcements to this list if that's what you
request.

Please let me point out, however, that in our attempts to reach our
prospective audience, we feel that lists such as proteon, cicso, novell, etc
at least reach those people interested in networking, and even if they
themselves don't feel the need to attend a seminar such as ours, they would
know who in their organizaitions would like to (or should!) attend to become
more familiar with NSFNET and the Internet and what's available. In that
case, we hope the announcement is being forwarded on to the appropriate
people.

In the case of lists less networking oriented, we attempt to send the
announcement to the coordinator of the list who can then post it to the
group if appropriate. We will do that with the proteon list in the future if
you send us the name and address of the coordinator.

I am aware that most lists, like the NSFNET as a whole, have rules
concerning commercal usage. Although we do charge for the seminar to recover
the expense of facilities and flying in speakers from around the country,
Merit/NSFNET is a non-profit organization and using the network to advertise
the seminar has been approved by the National Science Foundation since it is
in direct support of the NSFNET. In fact, Merit/NSFNET has a cooperative
agreement with the National Science Foundation to manage and operate NSFNET,
and in the case of my group, Information Services, to provide service to the
networking community.

Part of our problem of course, is that the people we are trying to reach -
those newly-attached to the Internet, or not yet attached, are the hardest
ones to reach. If any of you have suggestions as to appropriate lists to
send our announcement, or other ways of reaching the newly-attached or
not-yet-attached, please send them our way.

Thanks for your attention to my lengthy explanation, and let us know if you
would like us to refrain from using your list in the future.

Susan Calcari
Site Liaison
Merit/NSFNET

Message: 8022173, sent: Tue 05 Mar91 12:18pm, imported: Tue 05 Mar91 12:24pm
From: louie@sayshell.umd.edu
To: Deb Kocsis
Cc: info-proteon@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu

Subject: Re: Seminar Announcement