[net.micro] Pournelle is Right

recovert@ihuxf.UUCP (recovert) (11/11/84)

<<<>>>
This is a quick review of a column by Dr. J. E. Pournelle (Jerry
to the uniformed) that appears in the December issue of Popular
Computing. This have been some articles lately criticizing Jerry's
technical expertise, which I agree may not be as extensive as
many who use Usenet. But, Jerry makes a valid point in this article
about software and software pirates, and should therefore be
congratulated.
	Jerry starts by giving an example of a software license and then
showing how, even an ethical, person might be forced to violate it.
Then, Jerry proceeds to make his point that most PC software is
overpriced, and that such overpricing is the reason for copy protection.
I agree with Jerry completely. One reason that I have stayed with my
original CP/M-80 system is simply that IBM PC-style software is simply
to expensive. Also, I refuse to purchase software which is copy
protected. I wonder how many other people feel that way.
	The worst thing about copy protection is that the uniformed,
novice computer user does not understand its impact upon them.
Therefore, Jerry's column is of service to them. I recommend that you
read Jerry's article if you are planning to purchase a home computer.

	As always these statements are my own and no one elses...
--
Richard E. Covert (312) 979-4428 ihuxf!recovert (BTL,Indian Hill)

rick@uwmacc.UUCP (the absurdist) (11/21/84)

	and later, writes :
>	The worst thing about copy protection is that the uniformed,
>novice computer user does not understand its impact upon them.

Is there something about military uses of computers that I'm missing?
--
"Icky!", wailed Moxie.  "DOUBLE icky!", cried Pepsi.
	-- from Bored of the Rings by The Harvard Lampoon

Rick Keir -- MicroComputer Information Center, MACC
1210 West Dayton St/U Wisconsin Madison/Mad WI 53706

{allegra, ihnp4, seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!rick