[comp.sys.xerox] Solution to 0915 accessing LispFiles Volume

eric@aragorn.OZ.AU ("ERIC Y.H. TSUI") (01/04/88)

What you have to do is the following:

Copy all the files in the LispFiles volume onto server/floppy.
Go into Othello and do a 'erase' on the volume LispFiles.
Boot the machine with F1.
Go to executive window and do a DFSCREATEDIRECTORY '{DSK}<LISPFILES>.
Copy the files back from server/floppy to the LispFiles volume.

Eric Tsui                               eric@aragorn.oz
Xerox AI Laboratory
Division of Computing and Mathematics
Deakin University
Geelong Victoria 3217
Australia
---------

scc@computer-lab.cambridge.ac.UK (Stephen Crawley) (01/06/88)

Eric Tsui writes:
> What you have to do is the following:
>
> Copy all the files in the LispFiles volume onto server/floppy.
> Go into Othello and do a 'erase' on the volume LispFiles.
> Boot the machine with F1.
> Go to executive window and do a DFSCREATEDIRECTORY '{DSK}<LISPFILES>.
> Copy the files back from server/floppy to the LispFiles volume.

Hang on a mo !!

Before you go to those lengths (and maybe lose lots of files that
are temporarily inaccessable because of the corruption), you want
try a Logical Volume Scavenge!

To do a logical volume scavenge, you need to get into the Installer
(aka Othello) in "expert" mode.

-  Crank up the Installer:  boot it from an installation floppy, or boot
   it from the ethernet (it is F3 on an DayBreak, but I can't remember
   the relevant boot number for a DLion)

-  When the Installer asks for a user name, type PROPS-C (Control-C)

-  Type in the magic installer password.

Now run the Logical Volume Scavenger, giving it the LispFiles as the
volume name.  It may take a long time to run if your LispFiles volume
is large.

When the scavenge is done, try booting up Interlisp as before.  If your
machine still 0915's, then maybe you consider trying Eric's approach.

-- Steve