[comp.sys.xerox] X windows

steve@siemens (Steve Clark) (01/30/88)

Is anyone out there doing any work with X windows?  I would like to develop
on the Xerox machine in Common Lisp, and then port to some other as yet
unspecified machine that supports CL and X.  It seems that an X emulation
package is the kind of thing someone ought to have done already or at least
it should be in progress.  If not, I may have to do it myself.

-Steve Clark, steve@siemens.com, ....!princeton!siemens!steve

fons@cs.vu.nl (Fons Botman) (02/03/88)

In article <8801291618.AA04044@siemens.siemens.com> steve@siemens (Steve Clark) writes:
>Is anyone out there doing any work with X windows?  I would like to develop
>on the Xerox machine in Common Lisp, and then port to some other as yet
>unspecified machine that supports CL and X.  It seems that an X emulation
>package is the kind of thing someone ought to have done already or at least
>it should be in progress.  If not, I may have to do it myself.

With the risk of starting a "holy" war:

The same for NeWS, though the amount of work is perhaps somewhat greater:
writing a postscript-like interpreter and doing the keyboard handling.

							Fons Botman

ralph@lasso.UUCP (Ralph P. Sobek) (02/05/88)

As I remember there was a version of X-windows written in Interlisp, Intermezzo
release.  This was mentioned, last year I believe, on Info-1100.  It should
be accessible on the ARPA net.  If this information is of some use, I could try
and dig it up, unless someone else has something more up to date.

Ralph P. Sobek		       | UUCP:  uunet!mcvax!inria!lasso!ralph,    or
			       |        ralph@lasso.uucp
LAAS-CNRS		       | Internet:  ralph@lasso.laas.fr,    or
7, avenue du Colonel-Roche     |            ralph%lasso.laas.fr@uunet.UU.NET
F-31077 Toulouse Cedex, FRANCE | ARPA:   sobek@shadow.Berkeley.EDU (forwarded\
+(33) 61-33-62-66	       | BITNET/EARN:  SOBEK@FRMOP11        \ to UUCP )
=  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =

Yeager@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (Bill) (02/08/88)

That was X.10 which is really outmoded given the X.11 system that is
now available(not for 11xx's though).

BUT, Robert Scheifler and a couple of other folks have been working on
CLX for version 11 for quite some time now, and it is pretty well
along. I would take this path if I were to think of an X implementatin
for any system.

I know that X.11 has working clients and servers for SUNS, VAXs, and PC's
(and probably others)
and the CLX stuff is a client implementation which is being debugged
under CL on TI explorers and symbolics machines as well as Lucid
common lisp I believe.

Good luck,

Bill
-------

gandalf@russell.STANFORD.EDU (Juergen Wagner) (02/10/88)

I have ftp'ed a copy of this system from sumex-aim (I believe) but haven't
found time to really play around with it.

--
Juergen Wagner,			        gandalf@Russell.Stanford.edu
Center for the Study of Language and Information (CSLI), Stanford CA