[comp.sys.xerox] CMU's TCP/IP for Vax/VMS

joycem@KESTREL.ARPA (03/10/88)

I'm currently using DEI to communicate between an 1108 and our
Vax/VMS.  Since a 4.6 version of DEI has not been released yet
we are still running 4.4 which is causing some complaints from
the Vax users.  This is a problem we face every time VMS is
upgraded.  So I'm looking for alternatives.  I have been told
by my computer center manager that CMU has a version
of TCP/IP for the Vax running VMS.  Does anyone know anything about
this?  How well does it work?  How quickly is TCP/IP upgraded after
a VMS upgrade?  What kind of support (if any) is available?

Thanks in advance.

Joyce Musselman
Systems Control Technology, Inc.
joycem@kestrel.arpa

dao@cs.nott.ac.uk (David Osborne) (03/26/88)

In article <8803091929.AA18063@kestrel> joycem@KESTREL.ARPA writes:
>....  I have been told
>by my computer center manager that CMU has a version
>of TCP/IP for the Vax running VMS.  Does anyone know anything about
>this?  How well does it work?  How quickly is TCP/IP upgraded after
>a VMS upgrade?  What kind of support (if any) is available?

We have the CMU TCP/IP package running on a VAX 785, under VMS 4.6.
I can't give detailed info about it, as I wasn't the one who installed
it, but I use it with TCP/IP on a CCI Tahoe under Unix System V and have
also used it to a Vax 750 running 4.2BSD and various Suns running Sun OS 3.4.

Generally, it seems that the CMU package is fine talking to the 4.2BSD
Vax and to the Suns, but there have been various oddities between the Tahoe
and the CMU, notably ftp transfers hanging and the occasional telnet
session from VMS to the Tahoe being dropped, but leaving the pseudo-tty
still logged in on the Tahoe.  However, this may be due to problems
at the Tahoe end of things.

I should say we haven't (yet) used the CMU `finger' or `lpr' daemons..
I'm hoping to try the `lpr' sometime soon.

Dave

--
David Osborne
| Cripps Computing Centre, University of Nottingham, Nottingham NG7 2RD, UK |