[comp.sys.xerox] CLUE, CLOS and Xerox

uda@mina.liu.se (Ulf Dahlen) (09/17/88)

Does anybody know the status of CLUE and CLOS and how is Xerox'
involved in this?

__________
Ulf Dahlen
Dept of Computer & Info Science, University of Linkoping, Sweden
Troskaregatan 51:23       |     uda@ida.liu.se
S-583 30  LINKOPING       |     uda@majestix.liu.se, uda@majestix.UUCP
SWEDEN                    |     {mcvax,munnari,seismo}!enea!liuida!uda
"The beginning is a very delicate time."

masinter.pa@XEROX.COM (09/19/88)

Lots of folks at Xerox (and Envos) are 'involved in this', if by 'this' you mean
the evolution of the standards for window systems and object oriented
programming for Common Lisp, both in working on standards committees and in
development of prototype implementations.

Perhaps you had a more specific question in mind?

uda@majestix.liu.se (Ulf Dahlen) (09/25/88)

In article <880919-092243-1455@Xerox> masinter.pa@Xerox.COM writes:
>Lots of folks at Xerox (and Envos) are 'involved in this', if by 'this' you mean
>the evolution of the standards for window systems and object oriented
>programming for Common Lisp, both in working on standards committees and in
>development of prototype implementations.
>
>Perhaps you had a more specific question in mind?

Well, the problem is really that we don't hear so much of these things
here in Europe. I wouldn't be all surprised if there already was a CLUE
supporting system ready and running. And, yes, I do have more specific
questions in mind:

- How are the CLUE project progressing and what more specifically *is*
the CLUE project?
- They say CLOS in the form of PCL is included in the Lisp Users packages
for Lyric, which we haven't got yet (but will have in a few weeks, I hope).
Is that true, and is there any difference between CLOS and PCL and is
CLOS an accepted standard and...
- What *is* CLUE and what *is* CLX? Is there any paper describing them?
I had not heard of them until I read some article on the net.

I really like the Xerox Lisp environment, but it would be *very* nice
to be able to write portable programs. A window system standard is
therefore absolutely necessary. I think there are a number of
application writers that are just waiting for this. Common Lisp was
a step forward, but as I/O is the most important part of a program
there really is a great need for CLUE, CLX or whatever.