[comp.sys.xerox] Standalone VP booting

"David_Snyder.WBST208P"@XEROX.COM (11/03/88)

I have a standalone 1186 with Lisp, VP, and SystemTools (not Othello or
Installer), and am having problems booting VP because of not being able to
get the time.

My limited understanding is that there is a set-time boot file in the
Scavenger partition which queries for the time, and then boots User
somehow.  I'm unclear whether it boots User because of PV pointers or uses
switches.  At any rate, the PVs currently point to SystemTools (so I get it
on an F1/F1-0 boot) and Lisp.  If I try to boot User from SystemTools (the
only way I know of to do it) I get an 0937.

Is there someway I can set up PVs and switches so that I can boot Scavenger
to run the set-time boot file, then have it run SystemTools, such that if I
boot User from SystemTools, User will have the time?  I can get to User now
by booting Installer off of floppies, but I'd like to be able to get to it
from SystemTools, or at least without having to use floppies.

Thanks for any help!

P.S.  If there were a way to copy Lisp sysouts from {DSK}<Lispfiles> to a
Lisp partition I wouldn't need SystemTools, and presumably wouldn't have as
bad a problem.  I have never been able to do this sort of copying using
Othello.  Is there something I've missed?

schmidt@KSL.Stanford.EDU (Christopher Schmidt) (11/03/88)

	On a standalone 1108 we can set the time in lisp and then boot VP.
I've never had to try it on an 1186.
--Christopher

welch@TUT.CIS.OHIO-STATE.EDU (Arun Welch) (11/08/88)

Date:    Thu, 3 Nov 88 16:58:58 CST
From: walls%ssl.span@Fedex.Msfc.Nasa.Gov
Subject: RE: Re: Standalone VP booting
To: info-1100-request@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu

On my systems, the 1186 forgets what time it is everytime I change partitions
(even without powering down), whereas my 1108 remembers until power down.
Or is that just because I'm used to using Lyric on the 1186 and Koto on the
1108?  I find the amnesia really annoying.

Bryan Walls

ECOOPER@RCCA.BBN.COM (Eric Cooper x2947) (11/08/88)

Bryan,

 It seems to be machine dependent rather than Interlisp-D release
dependent.  And, yes, it is extremely annoying.  When I first went over to
1186s from 1108s, I asked about this "improvement" and was told that
somehow there had been a small savings in hardware involved with this
downgrade...oh well.

-eric

stumpf@cogsys.psychologie.uni-freiburg.dbp.DE (Michael Stumpf) (11/10/88)

David,
of course, there *are* two ways to get a sysout from {DSK} to a partition
(first, copying to {DSK} of a second machine and then sysin with PUP server,
second, copying to an NS file server and then sysin), but I think you
are aware of those and just do not have the necessary second machine.
This to-be-implemented feature of the SystemTools (sysin from local disk)
has caused some trouble also at our site (but in the meantime, the have
three machines and a server - and do not have really sufficient mass
storage).
Michael