From: miken@mirror.TMC.COM
Newsgroups: comp.lang.lisp
Subject: XEROX 1108 LISP
Date: 7 Nov 88 21:30:00 GMT
Nf-ID: #N:mirror:211100004:000:647
Nf-From: mirror.TMC.COM!miken    Nov  7 16:30:00 1988

HELP

I AM CURRENTLY CLEANING HOUSE FOR MY COMPANY AND FIND THAT I HAVE 5
XEROX 1108 LISP MACHINES WHICH MUST GO.  MY COMPANY HAS GENEROUSLY
OFFERED TO DONATE THESE 2 AND 1/2 TO 3 YEAR OLD ITEMS (AND MONITORS) TO A
NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATION THAT COULD USE THEM.  WOULD YOU BELIEVE HOW DIFFICULT
IT IS TO GIVE AWAY EQUIPMENT WHICH ORIGINALLY COST ALMOST 200K?  IF ANYONE
OUT THERE KNOWS OF A SCHOOL OR OTHER SIMILAR NON-PROF ORGANIZATION
WHICH COULD BENEFIT FROM THESE PLEASE LET ME KNOW

welch@TUT.CIS.OHIO-STATE.EDU (Arun Welch) (11/11/88)

Date: Wed, 9 Nov 88 17:24:24 EST
From: miken@mirror.TMC.COM (Mike Nappo)
To: welch@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Arun Welch)
Subject: Re: [purdue!gatech!ncar.UCAR.EDU!boulder!pikes!netnews@decwrl.dec.com: Re: 1108 freebies]

I cannot tell you anything more about the machines than that they are
generally used for artificial intelligence applications.  They are basically
in mint condition, but someone responded with a good point.  The
software liscense is not transferable, so you will have to get a new
one from Xerox.  I am told that the retail price is 10K although you would
be likely to be able to work something out.

All other documentation seems to be lost including disk space size.
The machines are only 2-3 years old.

If there are any other questions, let me know.

welch@TUT.CIS.OHIO-STATE.EDU (Arun Welch) (11/11/88)

Folks, could you *please* respond to this person directly? Forwarding
messages between evryone who wants the machines and the person
advertising it is getting real old, and besides, do you really want me
reading your mail?

...arun

Date: Thu, 10 Nov 88 10:28:16 EST
From: miken@mirror.TMC.COM (Mike Nappo)
To: welch@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Arun Welch)

To all those who expressed interest in the Xerox 1108 lisp machines:

I have received a fair number of responses to my offer of these
machines.  I have also received a very interesting response which I
hereby pass along:

>To those schools and organizations looking into this as a great way to get
>free machines (which it is), note that Xerox/Envos software licenses don't
>transfer, so you'll have to get a license from them to run the Lisp, and it
>costs $10K list (discounts will apply, depending on your situation). We ran
>into this earlier this year, but since we ended up using the machines for
>spare parts for our existing 1108 base instead of running lisp on them, we
>didn't have to pay.  It's still a good price for a lispmachine, though.

If this information changes your interest in this machine, please let me
know.  It seems that even a gift is not without its unforeseen costs these
days.  I should also let you know that I would probably ship these items
freight collect which can run any where from $100 - $1000 (I'm told that Xerox
may have to prep the machine prior to and after shipping). I'm trying
to locate a home for these machines within an organization that not only
can use them but that is willing to outlay the funds to support them.

If there are any questions, please let me know.