[comp.sys.xerox] Are multiple disks possible?

ralph@laas.laas.fr (Ralph P. Sobek) (03/31/89)

I have recently replaced my Quantum 40 Mb disk with a Maxtor 190 Mb on
my Xerox 1186.  My question concerns what to do with my good old disk.
Can it be daisy-chained to the other?  Can the 1186 handle that?  It
would probably need a separate power supply.  Can XCL/Interlisp manage
it?  Or should I just save it for a rainy day?

Thanks for the advice,

--
Ralph P. Sobek			  Disclaimer: The above ruminations are my own.
ralph@laas.laas.fr			   Addresses are ordered by importance.

"Hugo_Tafel.mvenvos"@XEROX.COM (04/03/89)

Save it for a rainy day or use it in your PC if you have one. The 1186
can't handle two drives, let alone two different types of drives. As you
recall when you installed the 190 you had to set the configuration of the
machine to tell it that the drive now had 15 heads and 1224 cylinders
instead of the ~500  cylinders and 8 heads used on the Q540 (it actually
has 512 cylinders).
Any how, good thought.

Hugo

zanussi@mva.cs.liv.ac.uk (04/05/89)

>The 1186 can't handle two drives, let alone two different types of drives.

In my limited experience the 1186 can't even handle ONE drive!

Peter Anderton
(aka Zanussi)

welch@CIS.OHIO-STATE.EDU (Arun Welch) (04/07/89)

Date:    Wed, 5 Apr 89 15:58:07 CDT
From: walls%ssl.span@fedex.msfc.nasa.gov
Subject: RE: Re: Are multiple disks possible?
To: info-1100-request@cis.ohio-state.edu

I also recently got a 190 disk for my 1186.  I also have a second 1186
and an old 1109, all networked together.  Before installing the new disk,
I copied anything interesting from the other two machines to the 80 drive.
Now I have it stored away in the packing that came with the 190.  If any
of my disks crash, I'll at least have a backup of the files.  And as
long as I'm swapping 80's for 80's, changing the disks is a very simple
operation.  Even swapping it for the 190 isn't hard, as you saw from
doing it the other way.  Don't even think about changing out the disk
in an 1108/09, though.

One of the Envos people told me carrying around the hard disk was a common
way for them to move software.  That way they can have their own environment
anywhere they can get to a machine.  And it sure beats backing up to floppy!

Bryan Walls
               WALLS%SSL.SPAN@Fedex.msfc.nasa.gov