[comp.sys.xerox] grapher package written in CLX?

ik@nova.laic.uucp (Ik Su Yoo) (03/15/89)

Can someone tell me if there is a grapher package written in CLX? I'm
in the process of converting from Envos Medley/Interlisp to Sun/CLX/CL.
For those familiar with the Interlisp environment, I need something
like the grapher module in its library package. Thanks to anyone who
can help me out.

					Ik

ik@nova.laic.uucp (Ik Su Yoo) (03/15/89)

Can someone tell me if there is an equivalent of the grapher package
(in library modules) that is written in CLX? Thanks to anyone who can
help me out.

					Ik

sticklen@CPSWH.CPS.MSU.EDU (Jon Sticklen) (03/15/89)

in sun CL i don't know.

but in FRANZ CL (Allegro) there will soon be a grapher like module
that will be part of the new "Composer" package on Allegro. (Composer
will be a development environment - FRANZ is shipping it now. but the
grapher is only at early beta now. if you twisted someone's arm
at FRANZ...)

there is also a grapher package from ISI that is supposed to run on
a lot of platforms, but in fact only works on SYMBOLICS. i'd stay
far away from that.

	---jon---

Jon Sticklen
AI/KBS Group - CPS Dept
Michigan State University

ik@nova.laic.uucp (Ik Su Yoo) (03/17/89)

In article <8903151317.AA19193@cpswh.cps.msu.edu>, sticklen@CPSWH.CPS.MSU.EDU (Jon Sticklen) writes:
> but in FRANZ CL (Allegro) there will soon be a grapher like module
> that will be part of the new "Composer" package on Allegro. (Composer
> will be a development environment - FRANZ is shipping it now. but the
> grapher is only at early beta now. if you twisted someone's arm
> at FRANZ...)

Can someone who used Franz provide more insight on this "Composer" package?
My major concern is whether Composer is written using the CLX interface to
the X windows. Thanks a great deal.

Ik

BEC.HEFFRON@ECLA.USC.EDU (Matt Heffron) (03/18/89)

The ISI Grapher Package contact is:
Gabriel Robins
Intelligent Systems Division
Information Sciences Institute
4674 Admiralty Way
Marina Del Rey, CA 90292-6695
(213) 822-1511
gabriel@vaxa.isi.edu

-Matt Heffron		BEC.HEFFRON@ECLA.USC.EDU

Disclaimer: I have no connection to ISI and have not used the Grapher package.
I'm just passing on information.  MH
-------

cox@renoir.Berkeley.EDU (Charles A. Cox) (03/27/89)

In article <478@laic.UUCP> ik@nova.laic.uucp (Ik Su Yoo) writes:
>In article <8903151317.AA19193@cpswh.cps.msu.edu>, sticklen@CPSWH.CPS.MSU.EDU (Jon Sticklen) writes:
>> but in FRANZ CL (Allegro) there will soon be a grapher like module
>> that will be part of the new "Composer" package on Allegro. (Composer
>> will be a development environment - FRANZ is shipping it now. but the
>> grapher is only at early beta now. if you twisted someone's arm
>> at FRANZ...)
>
>Can someone who used Franz provide more insight on this "Composer" package?
>My major concern is whether Composer is written using the CLX interface to
>the X windows. Thanks a great deal.

The Franz Inc. Composer is a window environment for Allegro CL Common
Lisp (the UNIX version, not the MAC-OS MAC-II version which has its
own windowized environment).  Composer is implemented on top of the X
Window System (X11R3) using CLX.  It includes a debugger, inspector,
and a graphical statistical profiler.

The graphical part of the profiler is written using an internally
developed grapher package which will be fully supported and documented
in the following Composer release (Composer II).

For more information, you can contact Franz Inc. at
"info%franz.uucp@Berkeley.EDU" or (415) 548-3600.

	Charley Cox
	cox@renoir.Berkeley.EDU

"Larry_Masinter.PARC"@XEROX.COM (04/07/89)

While imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, the graphical
statistical profiler in Composer seems to be missing some of what I thought
were key elements of SPY:

a) thresholding
	Eliminate from the display those functions responsible for less than
	a given percentage of the time.

	This is important to reduce the complexity of the display.

b) merging
	Flexible control over merging information about the same function
	when it appears in different parts of the graph.

c) rerooting
	the ability to obtain sub-trees with more detail than the main
	graph.

d) visual display of importance
	Making the height of the boxes proportional to the percentage of
	time seemed to work OK as a way of giving a quick visual indication
	of what functions were really important. It is hard to see that
	73 and 78 and  are a lot closer than 37 and 87.

I think only merging is tricky -- I spent a couple of weeks trying to get
the algorithm right. Its tricky mainly because of recursive merging.