[comp.sys.xerox] RIP

welch@CIS.OHIO-STATE.EDU (Arun Welch) (04/14/89)

Folks, sit down while you're reading this...

Envos closed their doors for business on monday, at 5pm PDT.  We're
really sorry to see them go, they had a lot to offer the Lisp
community.  Unfortunately, that's all the detail I can go into.  They
*are* working on a plan to continue support, so calling them or your
sales rep right now will be pretty fruitless, as the plan hasn't
finalised yet.  For now, if you've got bugs/questions that you'd send
to AISupport, your best bet is probably to send them to this list, or
if you feel that it's an embarassingly trivial thing that "everyone"
probably knows, send them to me and I'll either answer them or forward
to the list anonymously. Carl Gadener will be on the 800 support line
until things finalize too, but please call him for genuine bugs/help
rather than to get the state/story on Envos, since that could tie up
the line for someone with a genuine problem.  John Sybalsky has
committed to providing him all the development help he needs to keep
people running, too.

 As I find out more on what the continued support will be, I'll keep
the list informed.

I really wish they'd made it.  It'll be a poorer lisp environments
market for the lack of them.

...arun

Arun Welch
Lisp Systems Programmer, Lab for AI Research, Ohio State University
welch@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu     (614) 292-0352

sritacco@hpbsla.HP.COM (Steve_Ritacco) (04/21/89)

Not having ever had access to either a D machine or the ENVOS software,
I am still terribly sad to here that they are gone.  Does this mean the
end of all the tremendous PARC work on Interlisp, LOOPS, etc.  Reading
the various research papers that have come out of that group has
been very inspiring, and will be missed.  If this is the end of ENVOS I at
least hope that the tremendous body of software will not be lost or bought
and shelved by a competitor.  Might I suggest it moving into the public domain
or becoming part of the GNU project.

lanning.pa@XEROX.COM (Stan lanning) (04/21/89)

Don't confuse the commercial efforts around Lisp with the continuing
research being done at PARC.  Rest assured that PARC is alive and well.
Our work continues on languages (both natural and artificial), programming
environments, user interfaces, expert systems, fundamentals of AI,
collaborative systems...

[The above are my comments, all mine, and nothing but mine.  Just because I
work here doesn't mean I speak for Xerox.]

----- smL

Pahlavan.pasa@XEROX.COM (04/22/89)

From:			hpda!hpcuhb!hp-ses!hpdml93!hpbsla!sritacco
			@ucbvax.berkeley.edu (Steve_Ritacco)

Subject: 		Re: RIP

"Not having ever had access to either a D machine or the ENVOS software, I
am still terribly sad to here that they are gone.  Does this mean the end
of all the tremendous PARC work on Interlisp, LOOPS, etc.  Reading the
various research papers that have come out of that group has been very
inspiring, and will be missed.  If this is the end of ENVOS I at least hope
that the tremendous body of software will not be lost or bought and shelved
by a competitor.  Might I suggest it moving into the public domain or
becoming part of the GNU project."

A good suggestion. There are also other alternatives. The demise of ENVOS
does not mean the end of PARC's seminal work on InterlispD, LOOPs or the
innumerable other AI software tidbits written in Interlisp over the past
seventeen years.

That culture is too important and productive to be allowed to fade away.
There are serious independent efforts to rescue the software in one form or
another, ENVOS or no ENVOS.

Unfortunately, it is premature to spill out the details now.

If you are interested in a new chapter in the Interlisp epic, keep an eye
on the AI trade journals in the next few months.

 Marcel Pahlavan
A veteran of Xerox Artificial Intelligence Systems