[comp.sys.xerox] Rubble of envos

walls%ssl.span@FEDEX.MSFC.NASA.GOV (09/08/89)

I found the following message on the Symbolics Lisp Users Group (SLUG) list,
and thought I'd take the liberty of forwarding it here.

;Subj:	En Vos & Rooms
;
;From: chunka@Andersen.COM (Chunka Mui)
;To: slug@Warbucks.AI.SRI.COM
;Subject: En Vos & Rooms
;
;Now that Envos is no more, is Rooms available from anybody (Xerox or
;otherwise)?  Appreciate any pointers.
;
;Cheers,
;Chunka
,

And in a connected question, how about LOOPS?  It became a product for a
while there.  Is is still?  If not, is it back to being a Users Package?
I would really like to use it, but I like to be squeeky-clean about legal-
ities.  Does Xerox even know any of these answers yet?  Is LOOPS available
in any release later than Koto?

Bryan Walls
Walls@ssl.msfc.nasa.gov

"Carl_Gadener.mvenvos"@XEROX.COM (09/09/89)

In reference to message below,

>I found the following message on the Symbolics Lisp Users Group (SLUG)
list,
>and thought I'd take the liberty of forwarding it here.
>
>;Subj:	En Vos & Rooms
>;From: chunka@Andersen.COM (Chunka Mui)
>;To: slug@Warbucks.AI.SRI.COM
>;Subject: En Vos & Rooms
>;
>;Now that Envos is no more, is Rooms available from anybody (Xerox or
>;otherwise)?  Appreciate any pointers.
>;
>;Cheers,
>;Chunka
>,
>
>And in a connected question, how about LOOPS?  It became a product for a
>while there.  Is is still?  If not, is it back to being a Users Package?
>I would really like to use it, but I like to be squeeky-clean about legal-
>ities.  Does Xerox even know any of these answers yet?  Is LOOPS available
>in any release later than Koto?

>Bryan Walls
>Walls@ssl.msfc.nasa.gov

Well, what can I say. Yes, it is true that envos does not exist anymore as
a separate entity  but  as a subsidiary of Xerox.

There is still a skeleton group of people working on support (including
myself) and sales. The latter might possibly answer your questions about
availability of software. Yes, we still do sell software including Rooms
and LOOPS. The current version of the environment is Medley 1.1 and it runs
on the Sun3/4 platforms as well as the old D-machines. The version that
currently exists for LOOPS is the Lyric/Medley version that has been
available since envos started out.

Anyhow, if you are interested in the products, please call Damon Connor
(415-966 6237) who is the sales representative and should be able to answer
any other questions you might have regarding prices and delivery dates.

I know that a lot of our customers are still hanging in there awaiting a
decision from Xerox in regards to the future of the products. The process
of deciding how they will be supported as well as the matter of  bugfixes
and possibly future enhancements and  releases is a difficult one for Xerox
to decide; They have been at it for almost 4 months now! My understanding
though, is that they are forcefully addressing these issues right now and a
decision will be made shortly. There is an interest from some of the old
envoids, including myself, to see that this comes true, so just have some
patience.

Carl Gadener
AISoftwareSupport

PS: The 800-numbers are still manned for info and support, though for the
latter, I would advice to only call in for serious problems. Phone #'s:

1-800-228-5325 (USA except California)
1-800-824-6449 (California)

ralph@lasso.UUCP (Ralph P. Sobek) (09/11/89)

LOOPS seems to be supported, here in France.  A group here has bought LOOPS
under Medley for a Sun-3.  Hope this raises spirits,

Ralph P. Sobek			  Disclaimer: The above ruminations are my own.
ralph@laas.laas.fr			   Addresses are ordered by importance.
ralph@laas.uucp, or ...!uunet!mcvax!laas!ralph		If all else fails, try:
SOBEK@FRMOP11.BITNET				      sobek@eclair.Berkeley.EDU
Upon the instruments of death the sunlight brightly gleams.   --   King Crimson