[comp.sys.xerox] Xerox 1186 Monitor

THINES%UMKCVAX2.BITNET@RICEVM1.RICE.EDU (09/23/89)

We have a xerox 1186 with a monitor gone bad. I am interested in what
it would take to get it fixed or if we need to just replace it.

I looked through my old info-1100 mail and found one person who
had trouble with their monitor. Our problem is the monitor went
completely blank. I checked all the connections and everything is still
connected properly.

The previous mail about monitors asked whether or not the tube could
be replaced. This person said xerox wanted $3000 for a new monitor.
Is this still the case or has there been any changes on the cost of
repair.

We don't have maintenance since we are a university and can't afford it, or
for that matter we really can't affor too much with repairing the monitor
either.

If anyone has had the same trouble or similar problems with their monitor
or knows what it would take to fix the monitor I would appreciate the info.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tim

tdk@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (Tim Koschmann) (09/23/89)

We have had several 1186 monitors fail with similar symptoms in our lab.  The
technician in the school electronics shop has been able to fix them everytime
for just few dollars.  He thinks that the original design was faulty and he
expects that all of the monitors will eventually go, sooner or later.  I
would recommend that you take your broken monitor to someone that does work
on CRTs.  They should be able to fix it for a nominal fee.
---Tim

msriram@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (M G SriRam) (09/27/89)

All the 1186 monitors we have in our lab have gone bad or are well on
the way there.  We have 6 1186s.

the only solution i have found is to get a compatible tube from
a vendor (not xerox!) and have a technician install the tube. Replacement
tubes cost about $150.00 apiece, perhaps even less.  i have a few names
of vendors if anyone is interested.

I am interested in knowing the details of the solution that
Tim Koschmann's (SUMEX) technician found.  please let me know.
many thanks!

On a related note regarding the 1186s, we noticed in almost all of
them that the hard disk occasionally  refused to start up after
 being powered off.  the solution to this problem was discovered
 on another net by one of our graduate students. Simply remove
 the hard disk and (gasp!) shake it vigorously, and strike it
 with the flat of your hand a few times.  Reinstall and it will
 work fine!  This is not a joke, i have done it 5 times so far!

fritzson@PRC.UNISYS.COM (09/28/89)

> From: Reply-To: M G SriRam <msriram@cis.ohio-state.edu>
> On a related note regarding the 1186s, we noticed in almost all of
> them that the hard disk occasionally  refused to start up after
>  being powered off.  the solution to this problem was discovered
>  on another net by one of our graduate students. Simply remove
>  the hard disk and (gasp!) shake it vigorously, and strike it
>  with the flat of your hand a few times.  Reinstall and it will
>  work fine!  This is not a joke, i have done it 5 times so far!

I have to add my support to this. Though I haven't done it to our
1186s, I have had the same problem and solution work fine on the same
disk in other machines. The technician who talked me into trying it
said that the head doesn't retract properly when the disk is shutoff.
As a result it won't start spinning. Striking it from the side unjams
it and allows it to retract when power is applied. I have had to use
this trick several times, even on my personal disk at home, and have
never lost a byte.

Rich Fritzson				fritzson@prc.unisys.com
Unisys - Paoli Research Center		(215) 648-7606