[comp.sys.xerox] Xerox 1186 --> SparcStation1

beschta@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Anton Beschta) (02/20/90)

Hi,
we have trouble getting a chat-connection between our Xerox 1186s and
SS1s. The LispMs seem to go into an infinite wait state waiting on a
response from the SS1s.
But opening a file browser for the SS1s works fine.

Has anyone discovered this problem as well? Any hints, tricks or fixes
around?

Some additional information:
SS1s: running SunOS 4.0.3 with YP
1186: running InterlispD

Thanks in advance,
 Toni Beschta

--
Anton Beschta            Inst. f. Informatik / Technische Universitaet M"unchen
                         Arcisstr. 21 / 8000 Munich 2 / Fed.Rep. of Germany

saka@ulisnrt.ulis.ac.jp (Tetsuo Sakaguchi) (02/23/90)

Hello,

In article <BESCHTA.90Feb20142357@kiss.informatik.tu-muenchen.de> beschta@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Anton Beschta) writes:
>we have trouble getting a chat-connection between our Xerox 1186s and
>SS1s. The LispMs seem to go into an infinite wait state waiting on a
>response from the SS1s.
>But opening a file browser for the SS1s works fine.

    I am using Interlisp-D(KOTO) on FUJI-XEROX 1121.  And I also have the
same problem.  The TCPFTP-Package works well with UNIX-Workstations such as
Sun-3, Sony-NEWS, and VAX11.  But TCPCHAT-Package can not connect to
SunOS4.0(Sun3), NEWSOS3.2(Sony-NEWS) and ULTRIX2.0(VAX), but can connect
to SunOS3.5(Sun-3), NEWSOS2.2(Sony-NEWS) and Bridge Communication-Server's
port.

    When I trace TCPCHAT's packet, it seems that the protocol of SunOS3.5
and SunOS4.0 are different.  (NEWSOS2.2 and NEWSOS3.2 has same problem.)
I think that NEW-UNIX(4.3BSD and like that) uses different TELNET-protocol
from OLD-UNIX(4.2BSD and like that) for some reason.  TCPCHAT knows only
one protocol of OLD-one, so TCPCHAT cannot connect to NEW-UNIXs.

I found difference of protocols, but cannot fix this problem.

--
Tetsuo Sakaguchi, University of Library and Information Science, JAPAN
E-mail address: saka@ulis.ac.jp             (JUNET/ULIS)

welch@aristotle.cis.ohio-state.edu (Arun Welch) (02/24/90)

A thought occurs to me.. Are you folks having problems connecting to
4.3bsd hosts using trailer encapsulation on those hosts?  I seem to
remember that Koto didn't deal with that very well. In your
/etc/rc.boot file, does the ifconfig have the -trailers option?

...arun

beschta@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Anton Beschta) (02/27/90)

Hey,
my first thought was "That's it". But a look in rc.boot shows the
following:

ifconfig ec0 131.159.8.49 -trailers broadcast 131.159.255.255 up
ifconfig ie0 131.159.8.49 -trailers broadcast 131.159.255.255 up
ifconfig le0 131.159.8.49 -trailers broadcast 131.159.255.255 up

We don't use trailer encapsulation on any of our hosts.
But as saka@ulisnrt.ulis.ac.jp (Tetsuo Sakaguchi) mentions in a previous
article the problem seems to be a difference between BSD 4.2 and
BSD 4.3. Any comments on that?
And why is the file browser able to login?

Previously supplied help (thanks to all who dropped me a message)
on that topic didn't solve the problem.

Toni Beschta

PS: Sorry for my late response, but our newsfeed sometimes hangs for
    days ;-)