[comp.sys.xerox] Where to repair an old 42meg Q2040 Quantum hard drive ??

eho@clarity.Princeton.EDU (Eric Ho) (03/15/90)

Does anyone out there know where can I go to if I want to repair (and recover
data from) a bad 42meg Quantum Q2040 hard drive ?  This is a rather old 8-inch
drive I'm afraid.  I think that some of the bearings are beginning to wear out
-- it sounds a lot noiser (and the noise is coarser) than other Q2040's that
I've when I power-up the system.  This drive used to be on a Xerox D-machine
and before it goes south, the system had a bad power-supply (the power-supply
didn't just give out but the voltages were not right) so I'm not sure if this
would do anything to arms (maybe they got stuck or something) -- the status
code, I read when the system powers up now is that it could find the drive or
drive not ready when it tried to seek cylinder 0.

BTW, does anyone know of any shops that have machines that read raw bits off
the platters ?

Any pointers appreciated.
--

Eric Ho
Princeton University

eho@clarity.Princeton.EDU (Eric Ho) (03/15/90)

Does anyone out there know where can I go to if I want to repair (and recover
data from) a bad 42meg Quantum Q2040 hard drive ?  This is a rather old 8-inch
drive I'm afraid.  I think that some of the bearings are beginning to wear out
-- it sounds a lot noiser (and the noise is coarser) than other Q2040's that
I've when I power-up the system.  This drive used to be on a Xerox D-machine
and before it goes south, the system had a bad power-supply (the power-supply
didn't just give out but the voltages were not right) so I'm not sure if this
would do anything to arms (maybe they got stuck or something) -- the status
code, I read when the system powers up now is that it couldn't find the drive

tel@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (thomas.e.lowe) (03/15/90)

In article <EHO.90Mar15000944@word.Princeton.EDU> eho@clarity.Princeton.EDU (Eric Ho) writes:
>Does anyone out there know where can I go to if I want to repair (and recover
>data from) a bad 42meg Quantum Q2040 hard drive ?
>
>BTW, does anyone know of any shops that have machines that read raw bits off
>the platters ?

I just sent a 300 Meg drive to a company at the recommendation of someone
else who had some work done by them.  They had a bad 80 meg drive that needed
data recovered from it and they were able to recover 98% of the data.
I'd give them a call and see what they can do for you.  From what I understand,
they will get down to the chip level to repair a drive and recover the data
if possible.  They may even have the equipment to read directly from the
platters.

The company is Data Recovery Service, San Francisco, CA   415-585-7448.
I spoke to a guy named Donald.

Good luck!

--Tom Lowe
AT&T Bell Labs