[comp.sys.xerox] X support: Summary of replies

ht@cogsci.edinburgh.ac.uk (07/27/90)

Two weeks ago I posted a query about X support for D machines.

I had two responses:

   Date: Wed, 18 Jul 90 12:18:24 -0400
   From: Rob Crittenden <yogurt@edu.umd.mimsy>
   Newsgroups: comp.sys.xerox

       It's not worth it.  I was in the process of building one here at
   Maryland and from what I got in talking to the Xerox reps, it runs
   slower than X on a Sun 2!  Probably has to do with the Xerox having
   only 1.5meg (or up to 3.5, but that still isn't much).

   Crittenden College Park, MD 20742 | +------------------- so much beer,
   so little time -----------------------+

--------

   Date: 19 Jul 90 10:08:43 +0100 (Thursday)
   From: Peter Robinson <pr@cam.cl>
   Sender: pr@cam.cl

   Attention: Henry Thompson

   We have a server for X10.4 that runs under XDE.  This is written
   entirely in Mesa, using none of the X code distributed from MIT, and
   uses the standard XDE TCP/IP support.  This has been in use for a
   three or four years now and is stable and reliable, if slightly
   incomplete.  We routinely use it to access microVAXes in our
   distributed computing system from Daybreaks.  The performance is quite
   acceptable (better than a monochrome VAXstation) but has occasional
   hiccups which we attribute to quirks in the underlying TCP/IP code.

   The server is rather complicated because it places all the X windows
   inside XDE windows.  This means that all the usual XDE tools continue
   running and using the input system in their ordinary way while the X
   clients elsewhere believe that they are talking to an ordinary X
   server.

   This is allied with a simple XDE tool and a Unix daemon that allow an
   XDE user to cause a named Unix machine to run an xterm connected on
   one side to a login shell and on the other to an X connection back to
   the XDE machine.  Thus an XDE user can log on to an arbitrary Unix
   machine with little effort.

   We never quite got round to upgrading it to X11.  All our other
   workstations are now running X11.4, but we have retained an X10
   version of xterm, so at least we can run terminal sessions from
   Daybreaks.  I do not beleive that there are any great intellectual
   difficulties in upgrading the server, just a certain amount of tedium.
   We also wanted to install XDE 6.0 before doing any further work, but
   that has been rather slow arriving.

   We have not given much thought to making the server available under
   ViewPoint but, given the TCP/IP code, I imagine that there would be no
   great difficulties.

   If you are interested in integrating Xerox workstations into a Unix
   environment, you should also be aware of some other pieces of software
   that we have written.  We have an XNS-SMTP mail gateway running under
   XDE using the Foreign Gateway Assistant, although this is about to be
   superseded by Xerox's own product.  We also have tools for XDE and
   InterLisp that allow network news to be read from Unix servers using
   the remote read news protocol.  There are also a number of utility
   tools to handle rwho transmissions and so on.

   Back on the original question, you might care to check on Cal Poly's
   X11 server project which Jeff Weinstein was working on.  This involved
   rebuilding an XDE bootfile with X windowing instead of XDE windowing.
   He had two main problems: it was slow and not very stable.  Jeff has
   now left Cal Poly University, but I think the source code might be
   available from the Xerox UGP office (if it still exists).

   - Peter Robinson.

	   University of Cambridge             Telephone:    +44 223 334637
	   Computer Laboratory                 Facsimile:    +44 223 334678
	   New Museums Site                    Telex:      81240 (CAMSPL-G)
	   Pembroke Street
	   Cambridge                           E-mail:      pr@cl.cam.ac.uk
	   England   CB2 3QG                   pr:ComputerLab:CambridgeUniv