[comp.sys.xerox] Problems with Kurzweil Scanner

taab5@isuvax.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) (06/11/91)

   In one of the labs here at ISU, we have a Xerox Kurzweil scanner
connected to a PC clone, and we've been having problems with the files
that the scanning software saves, especially when the scanner is used
to scan graphics images and save in TIFF format.

   We would like to implement a kind of graphics previewer with the
scanning software, using batch files.  I manages to find several programs
that allow TIFF files to be viewed on a PC.  The problem is that all
of these programs don't seem to like the TIFF files that are created
by the scanning software of this scanner.  I thoroughly checked these
TIFF viewers out by generating TIFF images on other systems and viewing
them, so the problem seems to lie with the scanning software in
particular.

   I was just wondering if anyone else has had experience with this
particular scanner, and has any suggestions.  The scanning software
seems to be creating faulty TIFF files, and I would be interested in
findout out if a fix is available.  BTW, as far as I know, the software
we have for this scanner is the most up-to-date available.

 / Marc Barrett  -MB- | BITNET:   XGR39@ISUVAX.BITNET        /
/  ISU COM S Student  | Internet: XGR39@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU   /
\        The great thing about standards is that          /
 \       there are so many of them to choose from.       /

grover@big-joe.cs.unlv.edu (Kevin Grover) (06/11/91)

)
[...]

We have a Kurweil 5200 as well.  The TIFF files that it creates are 400 dpi
and CCITT Group 3 compression by default.  The DTIFF program that I have for the
PC will not decompress CCITT G3 (FAX or MODIFIED) nor CCITT G4 images.  Your
best bet is to set the image resolution to 300 dpi (or lower) and no compression
and then try it again.

BTW	xv for X11R4 terminals will display the images.

Also, I believe that some of the tags that Kurzweil uses in the TIFF files
are no longer recommended in the TIFF standard.  However, a robust TIFF reader
should be able to cope with them anyway.

Do you have a routine to dump TIFF header information??   Send me the details
of the program you're using on the PC, and a text file with the ASCII dump of the
TIFF tags and I might be able to help you more.

What does the display software say (i.e. error messages)??  Or does it just
display garabage?

--
  +---------------------------+-----------------------------------------------+
  | Kevin O. Grover           | UNLV Computer Science and Electrical Eng.     |

grover@big-joe.cs.unlv.edu (Kevin Grover) (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun11.164747.23166@unlv.edu>, grover@big-joe.cs.unlv.edu (Kevin Grover) writes:

) BTW	xv for X11R4 terminals will display the images.
)

Hmm, that should have been 'xtiff' and NOT 'xv'.  Dumb typo on my part!

--
  +---------------------------+-----------------------------------------------+
  | 73627.1677@compuserve.com | 4505 S. Maryland Parkway, Las Vegas NV 89154  |
  +---------------------------+-----------------------------------------------+

heess@parc.xerox.com (Brian L. Heess) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun11.123739.21079@news.iastate.edu> taab5@isuvax.iastate.edu writes:

>   I was just wondering if anyone else has had experience with this
>particular scanner, and has any suggestions.  The scanning software
>seems to be creating faulty TIFF files, and I would be interested in
>findout out if a fix is available.  BTW, as far as I know, the software
>we have for this scanner is the most up-to-date available.

I have not used this scanner, but I may be able to find you some info on it.
What software and version are you using?

-Brian
--
XNS:  bheess:es xc15:Xerox
INET: heess@arisia.Xerox.com  .OR. bheess.es_xc15@Xerox.com