Date: 24 May 89 18:56:08 PDT (Wednesday)
Subject: *****XISDEPUBLIC HAS MOVED AGAIN****
From: Ira Scharfglass
To: XisdeInterest:All Areas, AlpineSunUsers:All Areas

ALL,

Sorry for the confusion!  Our Network Support people in El Segundo have
been good enough to provide us with a File Drawer that has lots of room.
We will be using this drawer for upcoming releases of several tools.  Stay
Tuned!
The new drawer is located on LOON:ES PUBLIC.  The drawer is still called
XISDEPUBLIC.

Thanks,

Ira

**PLEASE NOTE** For the time being,  Alpine will remain on MEC:ES PUBLIC in
the XISDE file drawer.

Date: 20 Jun 89 09:47:04 PDT (Tuesday)
Subject: Alpine 1.1 Is Released
From: AIshigo
To: AlpineSunUsers:All Areas
cc: XISDESupport:All Areas

All,

The latest version of Alpine is now released.  Please note that version
numbers have changed -- we are now starting with version 1.1 (the previous
version was 8.1).  This is to get a common release numbering with the Xerox
Systems Institute (XSI) version of Alpine.

Release and installation procedures have also changed.  The release is now
separated into 2 different parts: 1) Kernel, 2) Applications.  This will
enable us to get bug fixes out faster and make things easier for users to
retrieve.

What's new in this release:

  1)  GAP telnet server support.
  2)  Bug fixes to various utilities:

        xnsftp
	  1)  Defunct processes on the server machine created during
	      file transfer with another Sun machine using xnsftp.  (AR #2)
          2)  Connection dropped on access error.  (AR #3)
          3)  "put" storing wrong file.  (AR #20) (AR #21)
          4)  Retrieving files from a Sun brought the wrong files over.
(AR #11)
          5)  Cannot run from shell script.  (AR #12)

	xnsprint
	  1)  Printing multiple files have same job name and
	      document name.  (AR #18)

	mail
          1)  Problem in sendmail.cf file, not allowing unix mail to be
	      retrieved.

  3)  Globbing on file servers fixed (caused wrong files to be retrieved
      from the Sun when using wildcards).

The files for the kernel release are on:

  [Loon:ES Public:Xerox]XISDEPublic/Alpine/Sun[3|4]/1.1
      README!1
      XNSSun[3|4]Binary.tar.tf.Z!1
      XNSSun[3|4]Binary.tar.Z!1
      XNSSun[3|4]Export.tar.tf.Z!1
      XNSSun[3|4]Export.tar.Z!1
      XNSSun[3|4]Libs.tar.tf.Z!1
      XNSSun[3|4]Libs.tar.Z!1
      XNSSun[3|4]Release.tar.tf.Z!1
      XNSSun[3|4]Release.tar.Z!1

*** Please read the README before attempting any of the installations. ***

The "Binary" distribution file is for the making of custom kernels.  The
"Export" and "Release" files contain a GENERIC EXPORT and GENERIC kernel
respectively.  The "Libs" file contains the XNS libraries for applications
developers.

The kernel distributions only contain the kernel and servers.  Applications
must be retrieved separately.

*** IMPORTANT FOR SUN 3 USERS ***

In order to use the latest release of Alpine which supports
the GAP Telnet Server, you must install the SunOS 4.0.1 patch fix for
"LGKERNEL".  Without this fix the kernel will crash sporadically.  Consult
the SunOS 4.0.1 patch instructions for this fix.

The documentation directory is set up on:

  [Loon:ES Public:Xerox]XISDEPublic/Alpine/Doc

The documentation is stored as Interpress masters and the Alpine problem
report templates are also here.

The Alpine source directory is set up on:

  [Loon:ES Public:Xerox]XISDEPublic/Alpine/Source

We are in the process of storing the sources out and they should be ready
in a few days.

The files for the Applications are on:

  [Loon:ES Public:Xerox]XISDEPublic/AlpineAppls/
      Doc		- man pages, ascii files
      Sun[3|4]/1.1	- executables/scripts
      Source		- source code of the applications (.tar.Z)
      Data		- dirs containing icons, cm files, etc.

The usual Alpine applications are located here (xnslogin, xnsftp,
xnstelnet, etc.) as are some newer tools:
  PrintStatusTool	- SunView-based printer query tool
  PrintTool		- SunView-based printing tool
  RemoteBrowser		- SunView-based browser (like XDE RemoteBrowser)
  XNSFileTool		- SunView-based file tool (like XDE FileTool)

A duplicate file drawer is being set-up on the East coast
([Pueblo3:Henr801c:Xerox]).  An announcement will be broadcast when the
drawer is completed.

Address problems to XISDESupport:All Areas:Xerox.

The XISDE Implementors

Date: 20 Jun 89 13:26:55 PDT (Tuesday)
Subject: New Sun Applications Available
From: XISDE
To: XISDEInterest:All Areas, AlpineSunUsers:All Areas, SunUsers:All Areas,
MesaHacks:All Areas
cc: XISDESupport:All Areas

All,

The public access file server directory, [Loon:ES
Public:Xerox]XISDEPublic/SunChest, now contains assorted Sun application
programs.

The directory has the following structure:

XISDEPublic/SunChest
                    Doc     - man pages and plain ascii files
		    Sun3    - executables/scripts for Sun3 machines
		        3.5    - SunOS 3.5
		        4.0    - SunOS 4.0
		    Sun4    - executables/scripts for Sun4 machines
		        3.5    - SunOS 3.5
		        4.0    - SunOS 4.0
		    Source  - source code of the applications (.tar.Z)
		    Data    - dirs containing icons, cm files, etc.

The tools currently in the directory are:

calctool	SunView-based calculator
calentool	SunView-based calendar tool
ipprinting	Interpress printing utilities (includes part of the IP Toolkit)
tartool		SunView-based tar utility
XDEdit		SunView-based editor with XDE feel

Tools will continue to be added to this directory, both supported and
unsupported.  The directory is currently world-readable.

Tools in this directory were contributed by both members of XISDE and
outside sources.  XISDE will attempt to correct any bugs in any of the
tools in this directory, but will only be personally responsible for tools
that XISDE wrote.  Documentation for the tools will explicitly state the
origins of the tool.

Future release messages will be broadcast to XISDEInterest:All Areas only.
You can add yourself using Maintain or VPMaintain.

Those interested in contributing tools to this directory should send a note
describing the tool to XISDEImplementors:ES Public:Xerox.

~ The XISDE Implementors

Date: 27 Jun 89 13:59:34 PDT (Tuesday)
Subject: New Sun Application: xnsbrownie
From: XISDESupport:All Areas
To: XISDEInterest:All Areas, AlpineSunUsers:All Areas

   xnsbrownie, a C language version of the XDE Brownie tool using XNS
protocols, is now available from
     [Loon:ES Public:Xerox]/XISDEPublic/AlpineAppls/
       Sun3|Sun4/1.1	-- executables
       Source		-- source code as .tar.Z

   Brownie is a file transfer tool which copies a number of files and/or
directories from a remote machine to the local machine.  It reads and
executes file transfer commands, along with optional automatic start and
stop times, from a user-specified file.

   This tool was developed by Gregg Bonikowski.  Questions regarding
xnsbrownie should be directed to XISDESupport:All Areas:Xerox.

   XISDE Support
Date: 13 Jul 89 08:53:54 PDT (Thursday)
Subject: Releasing dumpster, IPCamera and ProfileTool
From: XISDESupport:All Areas
To: XISDEInterest:All Areas

   Three new SunView-based applications are now released:

   dumpster: a file dumping program that takes a file and translates it
into binary, octal, hex, or decimal code with an option to display it with
its ascii characters.

   IPCamera: similar to the XDE tool IPCamera, this tool captures and
formats screen bitmaps for printing on Interpress and PostScript printers.

   ProfileTool: allows a user to edit global information kept by xnshelper,
such as XNS login name and XNS password.  These values in turn are used by
such tools as xnsftp, xnsprint, etc.  Similar to the XDE ProfileTool.

   All of these tools are Xerox internal tools and therefore are supported.

   dumpster and IPCamera are available from:
     [Loon:ES Public:Xerox]XISDEPublic/SunChest

   ProfileTool is available from:

Date: 25 Jul 89 08:21:28 PDT (Tuesday)
Subject: Alpine Programming Guide Available
From: Ira Scharfglass
To: AlpineSunUsers:All Areas

All,

The electronic version of the programming guide is finally available.  It
can be found in the documentation folder for Alpine on both the east and
the west coasts.  Please see the note below before printing.

Ira
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
From: Mala Chana:ES AE:Xerox
Subject: Printing of XNS for UNIX V.3 Programming Guide
Date: 24-July-89 (Monday) 14:53:11 PDT
To: Ira Scharfglass
Copies: MChana:ES AE
Note:
The XNS for UNIX V.3 Programming Guide was originally created using the old
XC1-1-1 Optima font.  In order to print this Guide in its9 original form,
the old Optima font has to be loaded onto a 3700 printer with fps pointing
to it.

- Mala
Date: 25 Jul 89 10:20:43 PDT (Tuesday)
Subject: *NEW CONTACT FOR ALPINE LICENSES*
From: Ira Scharfglass
To: AlpineSunUsers:All Areas
cc: XisdeInterest:All Areas

All,

Those interested in obtaining a license for  the Alpine  XNS Software
should message  Sally Robinson (Robinson:El Segundo), who will be helping
with the administering of Alpine Licenses.  We currently have over 500
machines licensed!

Thanks,

Ira
Date: 11 Aug 89 14:15:35 PDT (Friday)
Subject: Two new SunView Applications - bounx and xeras
From: XISDESupport:All Areas
To: XISDEInterest:All Areas

   bounx and xeras are two applications that display and convert files of
different Xerox bitmap formats.  bounx is a demo that conveniently may be
used as a screen saver.  It will repeatedly move a set of bitmaps around on
the screen surface until interrupted by the user.  xeras converts bitmaps
of various Xerox formats to Sun Raster files.
   These new applications are available on

   [Loon:ES Public:Xerox]/XISDEPublic/SunChest/
     Doc/bounx.1, bounx.txt    -- man page and human-readable doc
     Sun3/4.0/bounx            -- executable
     Sun4/4.0/bounx            -- executable
     Source/bounx.tar.Z        -- sources

     Doc/xeras.1, xeras.txt    -- man page and human-readable doc
     Sun3/4.0/xeras            -- executable
     Sun4/4.0/xeras            -- executable
     Source/xeras.tar.Z        -- sources

   These tools come to us from Lennart Lovstrand of Rank Xerox EuroPARC.
Questions regarding them should be directed to XISDESupport:All
Areas:Xerox.

   XISDE Support
Date: 14 Aug 89 16:07:14 PDT (Monday)
Subject: Re: Two new SunView Applications - bounx and xeras
From: XISDESupport:All Areas
To: XISDEInterest:All Areas

   Contrary to the release notice, the sources for xeras and bounx are
bundled together in the file bounx.tar.Z, and the file xeras.tar.Z does not
exist on Loon:ES Public.
   Sorry for any confusion this has caused.

   XISDE Support
Date: 15 Sep 89 09:14:16 PDT (Friday)
Subject: Next Alpine Releases
From: Ira Scharfglass
To: AlpineSunUsers:All Areas
cc: XisdeImplementors:ES Public, Ira Scharfglass, DFranco, Robinson

All,

As a result of the extremely large user base Alpine has attracted (over 600
Suns within Xerox alone), we have decided to be more formal about our
testing of future releases in order to ensure a better quality product that
meets the requirements of our many customers.  We have decided to adopt the
formal test plan prepared by the Xerox Systems Institute for Alpine in
addition to an adobe database to track problems.  During the testing of the
release that was scheduled for this month, several problems have arisen
which have caused me to beleive that the release is not of sufficient
quality to meet the needs of our  users.  As a result, I have decided to
delay this release until the quality has reached a sufficient level.  When
a new date has been established, I will notify this DL.

We in XISDE have received many requests for support under SUNOS 4.0.3, as
well as support for the new Sparcstation (4/60) and the new Sun 3/80.  In
order to meet the needs of those of you that need this support now, we have
decided to make the following available immediatly:

1).	A generic Kernel for support of 4.0.3 on SUN 39s (68020 and 68030)
based
2).	A generic Kernel for SUNOS 4.0.3 on Sparcstations(Old  SUN 4 and new
SUN 4/60)
3).	A patch kit that will allow users who build their own Kernels to build
them for the machines listed above.

ALL OF THESE KERNELS ARE BASED ON THE RELEASE OF ALPINE CURRENTLY IN THE
FIELD(1.1).  NO ADDITIONAL PROBLEMS HAVE BEEN FIXED.

The following contains details on what I have outlined above:

****PLEASE BE SURE TO READ THE README.PATCH FILE BEFORE ATTEMPTING THIS
UPGRADE****

   The patch files and associated README files have been stored out onto:
  [Loon:ES Public]XISDEPublic/Alpine/Sun[3|4]/1.1

The files are:

  README.PATCH
  XNSSun68020Patch.tar.Z  -- 68020-based Sun3s
  XNSSun68030Patch.tar.Z  -- 68030-based Sun3s
  XNSSunSparcIPatch.tar.Z  -- old Sun4s
  XNSSunSparcIIPatch.tar.Z  -- Sparcstations

README.PATCH will provide the instructions for installing the patch.
Following this, the normal Alpine 1.1 installation instructions should be
followed.

Each patch file contains a GENERIC kernel (DOMESTIC only) and also the
objects necessary if the user wishes to build a custom kernel.

*** INTERNATIONAL USERS PLEASE NOTE.  THE GENERIC EXPORT KERNEL IS NOT YET
AVAILABLE*****

These files will be moved to our east coast release drawer in the next few
days.

As always, please message XisdeSupport:All Areas (NOT ME) with any
questions or problems you may have.

Thanks,

Ira

Date: 18 Dec 89 14:15:06 PST (Monday)
Subject: Forwarding: Help needed on installing Alpine onto a Sun 3/80...
PLEASE !!
From: Edwards E Reed
To: Graham Watson:BRIDGE HOUSE:rxuk
cc: XISDESUPPORT:ALL AREAS, AlpineSunUsers:All Areas

Graham -
Yes, you9ve been had by the :generic: Alpine distribution copy of
:/etc/rc.local:.

The file contains a line which sets the default domain and tries to start
yellow pages...inappropriate for most of us outside of El Segundo.

Boot into single user mode (if all else fails, press L1-A to halt the
processor, then say :b /vmunix -s: and hit return).

Then, look and see if the install script saved the /etc/rc.local file as
rc.local.old
or something.  If possible, put the old rc.local file back into place, then
edit it yourself.

As an alternative, edit the rc.local file yourself.  You9ll want to comment
out stuff not appropriate to your environment - at least the ypbind stuff,
if you9re not running yellow pages.  Or, change the name of /usr/etc/ypbind
so the if test in the rc.local script can9t find it and doesn9t run it.
What9s happending is that you9ve told the system that your domain name is
:esae1.xerox.com: and that you are not a yellow pages server, so ypbind is
trying to locate the yellow pages server for your domain (esae1.xerox.com).
The goal is to stop it form doing that.

Generally, I9ve always avoided installing the Alpine rc.local script, and
simply edited our own to execute /etc/xnsup as the xns startup script.

Good luck.
Ed
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
From: Graham Watson:BRIDGE HOUSE:rxuk
Subject: Help needed on installing Alpine onto a Sun 3/80... PLEASE !!
Date: 18-December-89 (Monday) 13:12:58 EST
To: XISDESUPPORT:ALL AREAS
Copies: AlpineSunUsers:All Areas
Answer to: Graham Watson:BRIDGE HOUSE:rxuk
Note:

	HELP !

I currently have a Sun 3/80 sat on my desk, which won't boot fully up, but
is just sat there, occasionally issuing plaintive little
'yp: server not responding for domain :esae1.xerox.com:; still trying.'
messages. I have just 'installed' Alpine for Sun/3 on it, following the
instructions in the README file by Alan Ishigo for an export generic
kernel.

I am not an expert with Suns (I got this thing today), but am more familiar
with AT&T V.3.

Could somebody tell me how to get the beast past this message so that I can
inform it that it can't go near xerox.com (In fact, because of the Xerox
IRS, it can't get out of the building until I get Alpine working!) I've
already trashed my vmunix by turning the machine off, and am now running on
vmunix.generic.

Alternatively, could somebody tell me the network address of
esae1.xerox.com, so that I can fire up another machine with that address
(remember that we are 'TCP/IP isolated' here) and get the Sun to realise
that it doesn't really want to talk to esae1 anyway ?

If anyone could give me any information on how it got hold of esae1 as a
good place to be, and suggestions on what to do about it, I will have a
much happier Christmas !

	Many Thanks, and sorry for the Brain Dump !

	Graham

gng%soc.surrey.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK ("G. Nigel Gilbert") (09/01/94)

We have an 8000 server, an 8040 laser printer, and a 300 Mbyte 'Trident' (?)
disk attached to the server.  The server is on an Ethernet which is also
used by Suns (and Macs).

Although we used to do lots of work on our 4 1186s, that project has now
ended and we don't anticipate continuing work with them; besides the
1186 screens are in a poor way (bad focus, dead, etc).

What we'd like to do is to continue to use the 8000 server and in particular
the 300 Mb disk, accesing it from our Suns (one SparcStation 1, one 386i).
The Suns do NOT run Interlisp-D (they are mainly used for Quintus prolog).

Questions:  Is there code which would allow the Suns to make use of the
8000 filestore in a manner which would make it appear like any (NFS
mountable) volume?  If not, is there any other way we could make use of
the server/filestore?

Is there any use we could make of the printer?

-- or do I have to bow to the inevitable, pull the plug and get the scrap
merchant to take the server and printer away (that would be a sad day).

Thanks

Nigel Gilbert, University of Surrey, UK