[comp.sys.zenith.z100] ZUpGrade Series - Part 1

GUBBINS@RADC-TOPS20.ARPA (Gern) (11/24/87)

Zenith H/Z-100 Upgrade Series       Part 1                        23-NOV-87
INFO-HZ100                                                             Gern

Introduction:
-------------

Zenith  Data  Systems  unveiled  the  H/Z-100 Professional Desktop Computer
Series on 7-JUN-82 at the National Computer Conference in  Houston,  Texas.
The  H/Z-110  and  H/Z-120  was  the first combined effort of ZDS and Heath
Company.  (Heath was bought by Zenith Radio Corporation in December  1979).
The  Z-100 series  was  designed  to  be  an  exceptional system,  with the
computing power, flexibility, and expansion capabilities to meet the  needs
of the time and far into the future.   The Z-110 is a low-profile unit with
a  separate  monitor and  the  Z-120  is  an  all-in-one  with  a  built-in
monochrome  monitor.   The ET-100 is an educational 16-bit computer trainer
(and is still in production) which is a close cousin  of  the  Z-100  (full
16-bit  hardware and software compatibility, but lacking the 8085 and S-100
Bus).  Zenith supplied the 'wired' units  and  Heath  sold  the  H-100  kit
versions.

The  Z-100  series uses both the Intel 8085 and Intel 8088 CPUs (originally
both at 5.0 MHz,  later models and upgrades operated the  8088 at 8.0 MHz).
It has a 5 slot IEEE-696 S-100 Expansion Bus making the Z-100 very flexible
and  expandable.  The S-100 Bus and Intel 8088 created the doorway into the
future with new and sophisticated 16-bit  software  and  an  IEEE  industry
standard  bus.  The Intel 8085 provided a bridge from the extensive base of
8-bit HDOS and CP/M software.

The  Z-100  came  with  a  minimum  of  128K  RAM, 192K RAM standard on the
motherboard with later model  ('new  motherboard')  machines  and  upgrades
supporting  up to 768K RAM on the motherboard (plus the use of 256K or more
additional RAM Drive on the  S-100 Bus).    The S-100 bus supports up to 16
other Bus Masters (CPUs/DMA/TMA) in the system and the direct addressing of
up to 16MByte RAM.

The  video  capabilities  of  the  Z-100  remain  versatile.   The  32K RAM
monochrome video memory is expandable to 192K  RAM  (standard)  yielding  8
colors  per  pixel  in a high resolution interlaced graphics mode of 640 by
525.  This resolution was too high for the reasonably  priced  monitors  of
the  time  ($1K  or  less),  so  the  normal video supported was 2 pages of
640x225 in 8 colors non-interlaced.  Other high  resolutions  are  possible
with  the  software configurable standard video board.  Third party options
are now available to further enhance the high  capabilities  of  the  Z-100
video  (16  and  64 colors/pixel, 640x480 non-interlaced with multiple sync
monitors, etc...).  640x480  resolution  is  desirable  to  yield  'square'
pixels on the industry standard 3:4 aspect ratio CRT and the standard Z-100
has  easily  supported  this  mode  with the ZVM-136 Long-persistence Color
Monitor from the start.  The standard Z-100's superb high resolution  color
graphics  remained  far  superior  to all other machines of the class for a
very long time.

The  S-100  Floppy  Disk  Controller supports four 5.25 inch 48TPI or 96TPI
single or double sized disk drives and four 8 inch single or  double  sized
disk  drives.   The  current 1.2MByte 5.25 inch High Density disk drives as
used on the  IBM-AT are really 5.25 inch versions of an 8 inch  disk  drive
(electrically  and  timing compatible).   This allows the direct connection
of the  1.2MByte disk drives  to  the  Z-100  (8 inch  connector)  with  no
hardware  or  software modifications (Note: The IBM-AT 1.2MByte disk format
is different than standard 8 inch format, so a software patch is needed  to
read/write AT format 1.2MByte disks).

The  S-100  Winchester  Controller and Data Separator supports up to 2 hard
disks of almost ANY  type  up  to  65MBytes  each.   The  Z-100  Winchester
Controller  was  designed  before the Western Digital Winchester Controller
chip set was  available.   The  Z-100  controller  is  a  VERY  high  speed
bit-slice  processor  (many  times  faster  than  the hard disk controllers
currently in use on other microcomputer systems).  All data  transfers  are
made  by  TMA  (DMA  in  this case), programmable as burst or byte modes of
operation.

The  Z-100  is a technically well known machine not because of the complete
technical  and  software  manuals,  but  mostly  due  to  the  attitude  of
information  sharing  that  has  always  existed  among  the users of Heath
systems.  The helpful sharing of user information has always  been  one  of
the support functions of the Heath Company.

The  software  base  for the Z-100 remains very large.  The Z-100 Operating
Systems supported are CP/M-85 (8-bit), CP/M+ (8-bit),  CCP/M  (Concurrent),
MP/M  (Multiuser), CP/M-86, MS-DOS V1 (Z-DOS), and MS-DOS V2 and V3.  Other
operating systems such as UNIX have been implemented using other S-100  CPU
cards  on  the  Z-100.  By far the most popular OS has been the versions of
MS-DOS.  All generic  MS-DOS  programs,  language  compilers,  and  several
programs  for  the  IBM-PC  (including the Norton Utilities) run flawlessly
under MS-DOS on the Z-100.  Most big software packages have Z-100  versions
that support better color and graphics than the IBM-PC versions (Lotus 123,
MS-Windows,  dBASE  II,  GW-BASIC,  Multiplan,  Turbo  Pascal, HyperAccess,
WatchWord, WordStar (shudder!), etc...  The excellent  system  architecture
of  the  Z-100  and  the  design  philosophy  of  hardware  to simplify the
software (instead of software to make up for the lack of hardware  as  used
in  the  IBM-PC  design  philosophy) makes the Z-100 a joy to program.  The
quantity and high quality of  Z-100  public  domain  software reflects  the
excellence  of the Z-100 user community and the attitude of sharing that is
typical of the Heath Computer Traditions.   The  INFO-HZ100  Public  Domain
Software  Library  extols  this  quality with  all the wonderful and really
amazing programs contributed by the INFO-HZ100 readership (BESTERM being  a
prime  example,  as  I  use it exclusively for all my terminal connects and
up/downloading with all of the systems I use).

The excellent design engineering of the Z-100 combined with the loyalty and
information  sharing  of  its  users  continues  to  allow  the Z-100 to be
enhanced and continue to be a high performance system.

Many cheers,
Gern

P.S.  -  Next:  The Evil Blue Empire and the Darker Side of the Z-100.
-------

vix@ubvax.UB.Com (Paul Vixie) (11/26/87)

In article <12353175450.14.GUBBINS@RADC-TOPS20.ARPA> GUBBINS@RADC-TOPS20.ARPA
	(Gern) writes:

>Zenith H/Z-100 Upgrade Series       Part 1                        23-NOV-87
>INFO-HZ100                                                             Gern

This is a great article.  I had a Z-100, though I donated it to my
family's business a while back... I can recover it easily enough,
though, if this statement bears out:

>Other
>operating systems such as UNIX have been implemented using other S-100  CPU
>cards  on  the  Z-100.

The Z-100 had one of the nicest keyboards I've ever used.  If I could run
UNIX on it, I would consider adding hard disks and whatnot and trying to
use it again.

Can anyone fill me in on the details of UNIX for the Z-100?  I assume that
I would need a 68000 coprocessor or something, but I'd like to know:

	what CPU?  From whom, and for how much?
	what UNIX?  BSD is too much to hope for, but what CAN I expect?
	what other hardware is supported?  (serial port boards, etc)

If I receive mail on this, I will summarize to the net (or mailing list,
for those of you not on USENET/inet).

Thanks in advance.
--
Paul Vixie