[comp.sys.zenith.z100] AUTOMATING Z1OO PRINT COMMAND

SAC.LGSM.FRANK@E.ISI.EDU (03/15/88)

Please post the following to the info-hz1OO "bulletin board":

        In an issue of BYTE magazine last year, in the "Best of
Bix" column, they detailed a command you could place in
AUTOEXEC.BAT.  This command made the PRINT command resident, so
that when you executed the PRINT command, it would not stop and
print out: Output To Device [PRN].  A minor keystroke saver, but
convenient.

        The command is:"PRINT /D: PRN:" This works perfectly for
Z248's, but does nothing for the Z1OO.  So, does anyone know a
similar command which will work under DOS 2.X, for Z1OO's?  When
I run the Z248 version, the system types: "Resident part of PRINT
installed", followed by "Print queue is empty".

        Thanx in advance.

Frank Starr

SAC.LGSM@E.ISI.EDU

or c/o this board

emb978@leah.Albany.Edu (Eric M. Boehm) (03/23/88)

In article <[E.ISI.EDU]14-Mar-88.18:30:01.SAC.LGSM.FRANK>, SAC.LGSM.FRANK@E.ISI.EDU writes:
>         In an issue of BYTE magazine last year, in the "Best of
> Bix" column, they detailed a command you could place in
> AUTOEXEC.BAT.  This command made the PRINT command resident, so
> that when you executed the PRINT command, it would not stop and
> print out: Output To Device [PRN].  A minor keystroke saver, but
> convenient.
>
>         The command is:"PRINT /D: PRN:" This works perfectly for
> Z248's, but does nothing for the Z1OO.  So, does anyone know a
> similar command which will work under DOS 2.X, for Z1OO's?  When
> I run the Z248 version, the system types: "Resident part of PRINT
> installed", followed by "Print queue is empty".

	I submitted the following to BIX and it was later published in the
BEST OF BIX.

print <return >nul

where return was created by:

copy con return

CTRL-Z

That blank line is where you hit the return key.

jm7@pyr.gatech.EDU (John McLeod) (03/24/88)

In article <[E.ISI.EDU]14-Mar-88.18:30:01.SAC.LGSM.FRANK> SAC.LGSM.FRANK@E.ISI.EDU writes:
>        The command is:"PRINT /D: PRN:" This works perfectly for
>Z248's, but does nothing for the Z1OO.  So, does anyone know a
>similar command which will work under DOS 2.X, for Z1OO's?  When
>I run the Z248 version, the system types: "Resident part of PRINT
>installed", followed by "Print queue is empty".
>
>        Thanx in advance.
>
>Frank Starr
>
>SAC.LGSM@E.ISI.EDU
>
>or c/o this board

There is a relatively easy method for doing this.  It involves a small file in
the root directory.  This file must be an ASCII file, not a word processor file,
or the system will get confused.  The file must read
PRN:<CR>
and nothing else (this is 5 characters).
Call this file PRINT>DAT.  The command invoked from the autoexec.bat file is
PRINT < PRINT.DAT

I have been using this for about 2 years, ever since I bothered to upgrade to
DOS 2.x.

jm7

JOHN MCLEOD
uucp: ...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!jm7
ARPA: jm7@pyr.ocs.gatech.edu