[comp.sys.zenith.z100] Z-150 upgrade info request

nab1382@dsacng1.UUCP (Dick Hauser) (04/15/88)

I am currently using a Z-150.  It is a 2 floppy system with 640k.
I want a faster system with hard disk storage.  More memory would
be a bonus.  I have put together various combinations of hardware
to upgrade my current system, but the price is always higher than
the price of a 80286 clone.  Is anyone aware of any reason why a
user should retain and upgrade the Z150 instead of buying a Z248
or some 80286 clone ?  Information/suggestions will be appreciated.
What do you do with an 8088 minicomputer after you buy a 80286 mini ?

In article <304@dsacng1.UUCP> nab1382@dsacng1.UUCP (Dick Hauser) writes:
>I am currently using a Z-150.  It is a 2 floppy system with 640k.
>I want a faster system with hard disk storage.  More memory would

Somebody, I think it's First Capitol Computer, has an upgrade which will
convert a Z-150 into a Z-286 by replacing the motherboard.  You preserve
your investment in cards, case, power supply, and sloppy disks.
--
-russ
AT&T: (315)268-6591  BITNET: NELSON@CLUTX  Internet: nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu

cwwj@ur-tut (Clarence Wilkerson) (04/16/88)

In article <304@dsacng1.UUCP>, nab1382@dsacng1.UUCP (Dick Hauser) writes:
> I am currently using a Z-150.  It is a 2 floppy system with 640k.
> I want a faster system with hard disk storage ......
> together various combinations of hardware
> to upgrade my current system, but the price is always higher than
> the price of a 80286 clone.  Is anyone aware of any reason why a
> user should retain and upgrade the Z150 instead of buying a Z248
> or some 80286 clone ?  Information/suggestions will be appreciated.
> What do you do with an 8088 minicomputer after you buy a 80286 mini ?

 I have both a z150 and an AT clone. I put a 30 meg hard drive in for
less than $300. I have a V20-Wild fire speedup kit ( similar kits are
available for less than $100 ). This runs CP/M-80 stuff for me, also.
The AT clone is at least 3 times faster measured by long compiles, etc.
I would say the value of the z150 as a utility computer, backup, etc is
more than it's worth to sell used.
  I do think that the AT clones are an incredible buy for the computing
power they possess. You could get an 286 card to replace your existing
8088, but this might buy you a factor of 2 speedup.