[comp.sys.zenith.z100] backup using [pk]arc

malpass@LL-VLSI.ARPA (Don Malpass) (05/02/88)

	Does a disk backup program using arc format exist?  It would
have to march recursively through a directory tree, clone the
tree (up to the top branches) on the target disk, and presumably put
all files from a given directory "xyz" into a file called "xyz.arc".
Something intelligent would have to be done for the two special cases
in which a directory name DID use a file extension (which lots of us
don't, but which is not prohibited) or in which directory xyz already
contained a file called xyz.arc.  I think arc can get upset by
recursive entries when it tries to unarc.  Alternately, it could clone
the entire tree and dump all the files of each subdirectory into
"allfiles.arc" placed in every subdirectory.  (That sounds
like a better system, now that I think about it.)  Even without
a RESTORE program this would be useful since PKFIND is so handy
for finding needed files.  A restore program could come later since
there IS some necessity for restoring a complete hard disk after
reformatting it, and doing it manually would be a pain, but for
individual files, pkfind is great.
	Now that I am blessed with an ethernet connection to a Sun and
relatively painless backup provision I would like to halve the file
space in the Sun that my monthly backup takes.  But it also strikes me
that backup to floppy would be much better if it were done in .arc
format.  It might take more computer time, but the time spent feeding
it disks would be cut down a lot.  I haven't given any thought to
what should be done when an .arc being created runs out of disk space.
	As far as I know, there is no way to use FASTBACK with an
HZ-100, but if I'm wrong about that I'd like to know that too.
	don	[malpass@LL-vlsi]

marria@polya.STANFORD.EDU (Michael R. Marria) (05/02/88)

In article <8805021419.AA10001@ll-vlsi.arpa> malpass@LL-VLSI.ARPA (Don Malpass) writes:

>	Now that I am blessed with an ethernet connection to a Sun and
>relatively painless backup provision I would like to halve the file
>space in the Sun that my monthly backup takes.  But it also strikes me

	I would like to hear about the ethernet connection
you have.
	Assuming you are talking about the Z100, what board
have you installed? Is it on the s100 bus?
	Are you running ncsa type software or something
special?

						Thanks,
						Michael

paula@bcsaic.UUCP (Paul Allen) (05/06/88)

In article <8805021419.AA10001@ll-vlsi.arpa> malpass@LL-VLSI.ARPA (Don Malpass) writes:

>	Does a disk backup program using arc format exist?  It would
>have to march recursively through a directory tree, clone the
>tree (up to the top branches) on the target disk, and presumably put
>all files from a given directory "xyz" into a file called "xyz.arc".

Why not use zoo?  It understands directories.  It generates archives
that are portable between *all* systems you might be interested in.
It's roughly as fast as pkarc and compresses roughly as small as pkarc.
It's been posted to the net at least three times that I've seen.  It's
FREE.  The zoo sources are freely available.  Zoo does everything that
pkarc or arc do and more.  In a posting last year, zoo's author (Rahul
Dhesi) offered to send people zoo if they would send him a floppy and a
stamped addressed mailer.  He also made zoo available via anonymous
uucp.  You can contact him at uunet!bsu-cs!dhesi or dhesi%bsu-cs@uunet.uu.net.
People who are on the arpanet can probably get zoo from simtel.  I
haven't checked because I snarfed it from Usenet, but I would imagine
it's there.

A couple notes:

To archive directory hierarchies with zoo, you need to feed it a list of
pathnames on standard input.  My Zenith MSDOS has a 'search' command
that can be used to generate this list.  I'm thinking about a program
that would generate a list of all the files that don't have the archived
bit set, and then set the bit.  On UNIX, you would use 'find'.  PCDOS
probably has something similar.

Zoo doesn't yet understand multi-floppy archives.  If you are writing
the archive on a hard disk or NFS partition, this isn't a problem.

*BEGIN OPINION*
Hey!  ZOO IS BETTER THAN ARC!  We would all be better off if we started
using it!  'Nuff said!
*END OPINION*

Paul Allen

Paul L. Allen                       | paula@boeing.com
Boeing Advanced Technology Center   | ...!uw-beaver!ssc-vax!bcsaic!paula

malpass@LL-VLSI.ARPA (Don Malpass) (05/12/88)

Paul,
	Many thanks for the ZOO info.  I've been more-or-less aware
of it for a while, but have not taken the trouble yet (which is strange
since I work in such a zoo).  I'll get on it as soon as I get off
the beach in the Virgin Islands.  Meanwhile I'll get my local UNIX
guru that I'm interested - he's the one who brought it up in the past,
so he may already have it available on some of the unix systems I use.
	Thanks again.
		don	[malpass@LL-vlsi.arpa]