[comp.sys.zenith.z100] DOS INT list for the Z100

GUBBINS@RADC-TOPS20.ARPA (Gern) (05/26/88)

The ZDS V3 PUP has a whole chapter on the Z-100 interupt calls to the
BIOS and Monitor routines.   To REALLY uncover the hardware interupts,
you have to refer to the BIOS sources in the PUP.

Gern
-------

marria@polya.Stanford.EDU (Michael R. Marria) (05/27/88)

In article <12401208445.11.GUBBINS@RADC-TOPS20.ARPA> GUBBINS@RADC-TOPS20.ARPA (Gern) writes:
>The ZDS V3 PUP has a whole chapter on the Z-100 interupt calls to the
>BIOS and Monitor routines.   To REALLY uncover the hardware interupts,
>you have to refer to the BIOS sources in the PUP.
>
>Gern
>-------

	I called my local (generally unhelpful) Heath outlet asking
about this. Not knowing what PUP stood for it took a while for
them to come up with an answer. Part #CB5063-16 and "This is pretty old
and we don't have it, and it costs *$149!!.
	Now I don't think this is a book at that price. Am I right?
	What I am looking for is a list of INTs for the Z100.
Will this cost me $149?
	Is the Advanced MsDos book correct for the Z100 on these
INTs? Or is it IBM only? At $22, it sounds much more appealing.

	Please! When specifing something like "ZDS V3 PUP",
give a hint as to what it is, specially when at that price!
Heath sure doesn't know what it is. At least around here they don't.

					Thanks,
					Michael

GUBBINS@RADC-TOPS20.ARPA (Gern) (05/28/88)

Well, the info they gave you could be wrong, but it is probably right... (-:

Anyhow, what you do want is The MS-DOS Version 3 Programmers (Utility)
Package  #CB-3163-30 straight out of the Heath catalog for BOTH the
Z-100 and Z-PCs.  The catalog lists it at $225.  I bought my copy (3
small size manuals, ~= 7 disks) new from the college I bought my computer
from for $27.00  (which is about the Government Contract price as well).

It contains several ZDS done utilities such as video editors, file attribute
changers, volume name changers, etc.   The main job it does is to
describe the MS-DOS programmer's reference (all the DOS calls, file formats,
memory management, etc.) which is standard MS-DOS stuff that other guides
should describe as well.  These are interrupts 20H-3FH.   Now, Z-PC
based machines have extra video, etc machine specific stuff where Intel
RESERVED FOR INTEL USE ONLY (which IBM ignored) at interrupts 1FH and
below (10H for PC video stuff, etc.  This stuff is described in several
Norton type PC programming books.   The Z-100 machine specific stuff
(Absolute disk read, format, screen, light pen, ports, etc.) is
properly at 50H-5BH.  These are known as the IO.SYS software interrupts.
ZDS reserved 40H-4FH & 5CH-6FH for Z-100 IO.SYS, but I don't know if
any of theses are used (probably for the Z-100 Hardware interrupts,
consult the IO.SYS sources...).  70H-7FH are reserved for ZDS applications,
80H-EFH are for user programs for all machines, and F0H-FFH ZDS reserves
for Monitor ROM use and the PUP doesn't specify for which machines.

The PUP has a chapter on Z-100 IO.SYS calls (Interrupts, etc) and only
hints at all the wonderful ROM calls without giving any details of
actual use, as far as I can tell).   Perhaps Russ Nelson can be nudged
to shed some light here...   Perhaps someone would be nice to put this
all into a table for the Z-100....

Cheers,
Gern
-------