[comp.sys.zenith.z100] PK vs ARC - Thom Henderson Speaks

W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Keith Petersen) (09/16/88)

Forwarded from Usenet...

---------
From: tbetz@dasys1.UUCP (Tom Betz)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc,misc.legal
Subject: PK vs ARC - Thom Henderson Speaks
Date: 15 Sep 88 01:02:05 GMT
         format!

In the process of trying to sort out the SEA vs. PK situation,
Thom Henderson posted this statement on Magpie HQ (212) 420-0527.

I thought that folks here might be interested in it as well.

A little more information amidst all the noise...

------------------------- cut here --------------------------

From THOM HENDERSON         Msg #25928 *COMPUTERS* (Rcvd)
To   STEVE MANES            Wed Sep 14, 1988 4:51am (0:19)
SEA Policy Statement on ARC Trademark and Copyrights

Many of our users have expressed concern regarding use of the ARC trademark
and copyrights.  To better meet their needs we have formulated this Statement
of Policy, effective as of September 13, 1988.  This policy applies to anyone
who does not already have an agreement with us.

In the interest of serving the needs of the bulletin board community and
supporting the shareware concept, we pledge to:

o  Maintain the ARC file format as a stable industry standard.

o  Continue to upgrade ARC for speed and efficiency.

o  Continue to distribute ARC as a shareware product, and continue to
    allow for its free non-commercial use.

Futhermore, we pledge to foster the ingenuity and creativity of our fellow
shareware authors, whom we are happy to support in virtually every manner.

                                    ARC

To protect the rights of our shareware licensees, ARC may be freely copied and
distributed subject to the following conditions:

1) No fee may be charged for such copying and distribution.

2) ARC may only be distributed in its original, unmodified state.

3) ARC may not be distributed, in whole or in part, as part of any
    commercial product or service without the express written
    permission of SEA.

4) ARC may be made available for download by pay bulletin boards and
    similar commercial services provided that no additional fee is
    charged specifically for downloading ARC.

                               ARC TRADEMARK
Use of the ARC trademark may be licensed subject to the following terms:

1) Any use of the ARC trademark means that the product is SHAREWARE.
    We need a fully functional copy of the latest version with
    documentation to make available on our BBS for general download.

2) Your product must be compatible with the current version of ARC
    from SEA, and must be of an acceptable level of quality and
    workmanship.

3) We must have your name and address so that we can keep you
    informed on any changes to ARC.

4) As the legal owner of the ARC trademark, we are bound by US
    trademark laws to protect and maintain the integrity of ARC in any
    program that uses the ARC trademark .  To comply with this, we
    must ask for fully commented source code.  We will keep your
    source code completely confidential if you so desire, and we will
    not make use of any of your source code in any of our products
    without your express, written permission.

                              ARC SOURCE CODE

The ARC program sources have always been available for informational purposes.
They may be used freely in the creation of shareware utilities that examine
the contents of an ARC format archive.  Any other use of the ARC source code
is subject to the following terms and conditions:

1) Your product must be SHAREWARE.  We need a fully functional copy
    of the latest version with documentation to make available on our
    BBS for general download.

2) The first $100,000 worth of revenues is yours to keep.  We want
    6.5% of any revenue above that in return for the use of our code.

3) For the protection of our users, your product may not produce ARC
    format archives which are incompatiable with our current version
    of ARC.

                              ARC FILE FORMAT

1) We hereby grant to the entire world and all sentient creatures in
    the universe who do not already have an agreement with us to the
    contrary a perpetual, unlimited, galaxy wide license to read,
    extract, create, or otherwise manipulate ARC format archives.
    This does not include any license to use our sources or
    trademarks.

2) If you make any changes to the format such that your file is not
    compatible with the current version of ARC, then the result may
    not be referred to as an ARC format Archive.

We feel that this Policy Statement is a fair and workable answer to all
concerned with ARC format archives, developers and users alike.  If any
developer is unable to comply with these terms, please contact us at (201)
473-5153 to discuss alternative arrangements.
---------------------------- cut here ------------------------------

Now, the most interesting part of this (to me) is the following,
emphasis mine:

1) We hereby grant to the entire world and all sentient creatures in
    the universe WHO DO NOT ALREADY HAVE AN AGREEMENT WITH US TO THE
    CONTRARY a perpetual, unlimited, galaxy wide license to read,
    extract, create, or otherwise manipulate ARC format archives.
    This does not include any license to use our sources or
    trademarks.

This seems to me to mean, considering what has already been posted here,
that everyone in the known universe EXCEPT Phil Katz is permitted to write
and use any program that manipulates SEA-ARC-format files.  This would
seem also to mean that he may not write and distribute a program that
converts SEA-ARC-format files to whatever his new file format may be, and
he and he alone in the universe is singularly so excluded!

Wow!! Talk about spite...  I hope I'm wrong in this reading. Any legal
eagles who have read what has gone before who can confirm/deny this?
Could this kind of exclusion hold up in court?

I'm continuing to ask Thom for clarification in other matters (having
presented him with what has gone before here, which he seems not to have
seen until this morning) and will pass along whatever he tells us.

--
  "But Mister Swann, this is for ladies!!!"    |Tom Betz
               <zzzzzzzzZIP!>                  |ZCNY, Yonkers, NY 10701-2509