[comp.sys.zenith.z100] SIMTEL20 to ban ARC files

ahd@OMNIGATE.CLARKSON.EDU (MESSAGE AGENT) (09/08/88)

	This is an automatic reply.  Feel free to send additional
mail, as only this one notice will be generated.  The following
is a prerecorded message, sent for ahd

I don't know what to say in this, my last note from Buffalo, New York.
Good and bad things have happened to me since the end of October that
defy description, and the only people who would believe me already have
enough stories to tell about me without creating new legends.  The
people who made the good things happen know who they are, and as for
the bad things... I prefer to lump them together as acts of God and
leave it at that.

However, the end result of those past four weeks is that I now have
survived my first week working for AGS Information Services on site at
IBM Kingston preparing to change software that I'm not allowed to
discuss, I enjoy the work, and I expect it to last a while.  I also
have found an apartment in Kingston, and will be tearing down my
computer to be moved there as soon as I log off.

My new address as of 1 December 1987 is:

	Andrew H. Derbyshire
	578 Broadway, Apt 6
	Kingston, NY 12401

My telephone will be hooked up on 4 December, and the number will be:

	914-339-7425

Note that use of either of these is better than sending me mail on
omnigate, because now that I am working I intend on letting my online
mail exchanges die a natural death and use real world communications
instead.  This advice applies to answering this letter, so please send me
a holiday greeting at 578 Broadway instead of answering this online.

Most of all though, don't be a stranger.

Drew

malpass@LL-VLSI.ARPA (Don Malpass) (09/09/88)

Fellow Z-100ers:
	I'll say the same thing I've said to the ibm.pc crowd:
Please, Dear God: not yet another scheme.
	Whazzamatter with using zoo if we're all suddenly turned off by
[pk]arc?  Zoo has lots of virtues, not the least of which is that it
EXISTS NOW for both msdos and unix.  I'm bloody tired of having a
compression "standard" which grows a new whistle or bell every month
and becomes more and more incompatible with its unix-self.  The pk
speed improvement was great, but arc didn't NEED all the new
compression schemes added, particularly at the expense of the human
interface.  We also don't need all the electronic screaming that it
continues to generate, and I'm sorry I feel compelled to add to it.  If
we won't or can't use arc, let's use zoo and even get the benefit of
path-inclusion which, with "stuff.exe" (part of the package) is leading
toward a reasonable scheme for compressed hard-disk backups.
	Cheers,
		don
Don Malpass   [malpass@LL-vlsi.arpa],  [malpass@spenser.ll.mit.edu]
  My opinions are seldom shared by MIT Lincoln Lab, my actual
    employer RCA (known recently as GE), or my wife.

W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Keith Petersen) (09/10/88)

Read the ZOO documentation.  It prohibits distribution on services
which charge more than $8 an hour, thus eliminating it from
consideration as a "Universal Standard readily available to all".

There is a lot more going on behind the scenes than most people know.
The new file format is a group effort.

Newsgroups: comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d,comp.sys.ibm.pc
Subject: Re: SIMTEL20 to ban ARC files
Date: 8 Sep 88 19:56:25 GMT

SIMTEL20 will be going with Phil Katz's new file archiving method
because it will be a standard set by a group effort of various
well-known shareware and PD authors.  The file format will be clearly
defined and a public release will be made of portable C-language sources
suitable for porting to any operating system with a C compiler.  The
file format and the portable source code will be placed in the PUBLIC
DOMAIN, with no restrictions on how it may be distributed.  If you want
to pay $12.50 an hour for downloading it from one service when it is
also available from another for $5 an hour, that's your business.

--Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Arpa: W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL

yogi@humus.huji.ac.il (yossi gil) (09/17/88)

Does any one in this newsgroup know an exact address of Zenith/Heath
kit store?