[comp.sys.zenith.z100] Banning ARC files.

SAC.DYESGPF@E.ISI.EDU (09/15/88)

Keith, please pass this along to anyone else you thik may be interessed.

Having worked with CDOS and an ARC program back in late 1982, I was very
suprised by the the decision in the SEA vs PK software case.  I totally agree
with replacing all the SEA format archives with something else.

My question concerns ZOO vs PKpak/unpak.  Doesn't the newest PK compression
usually result in a smaller achive file than ZOO?  Are there any paticular
advantages to ZOO that I previously missed?  If I remember correctly the PK
software is faster and gives a smaller file for the normal mix of documentation,
source code and executables, but I may be wrong.  It may be that the only
reason I started using PK software was that it has been SEA ARC compatable,
which would make my preference rather a mute point.

Of course, if all the main-frame archives switch to a PK format, that would
lend "moral-support" to PK which will really get the folks at SEA steamed (I
hope).  Which ever way this goes, I am all for using the most effective
compression program available in the public/shareware domaine.

Al Holecek
These are my own opions and are not intended to reflect the position of the
United States Air Force or the Department of Defense, etc., etc., etc., etc., et

jrv%sdimax2@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA (09/17/88)

My personal preference would be to get the SEA vs PK court decision
reversed.  The SIMTEL-20 archives may be fixable by standalone programs
running in the background, but there are .ARC files on millions of
floppy disks, too.  Converting them requires manual operations.

If we must change formats, I think we should think about potential improvements.
I would suggest improving the archive itself by:

	Including a printable character mode.  There are still a lot of
	seven bit wide communications channels.  It would certainly help if
	there was a compressed format that did not require an eight bit
	wide path.

	Storing full pathnames in addition to file names.  This would make
	an archive a better backup format.  The unpacking program should be
	able to use or ignore the pathname.

	Allowing longer file names.  MS-DOS (and OS/2?) restrict names to
	8+3 characters, but UNIX names can be longer.

	Including a DES encryption option.

I would also suggest improving the pack/unpack program:

I'd like a program that treats an archive exactly like a subdirectory.
Starting the program would "open" the archive.  It would then accept
the standard DOS commands DIR, TYPE, and COPY, except that references to
"current directory" would be interpreted as "this archive", and
references to "parent of this directory" would be interpreted as "the
directory containing this archive".  Full pathnames would be treated
as usual.

For example,

	UNPAK alpha
		starts the program and "opens" alpha.pak (or whatever
		extension is chosen)

	DIR
		lists names and characteristics of files in the archive

	DIR  *.c
		lists names and characteristics of .C files in the archive

	DIR ..\*.bat
		lists names and characteristics of .BAT files in the directory
		containing the archive

	COPY ..\*.c
		adds to the archive all the .C files in the directory containing
		the archive

	COPY *.doc ..
		unpacks the .DOC files and puts them in the same directory
		as the archive

	COPY *.com \bin
		unpacks the .COM files and puts them in subdirectory \bin
		on the current drive

	TYPE foo.bar
		unpacks the indicated file and displays it on the screen

	BYE
		closes the archive and terminates the program

Essentially, I'm trying to avoid continually retyping the name of the
program and the name of the archive.

It would also be nice to be able to copy files from one archive into
a second without unpacking in the middle.

There's probably a market for a full-screen point-and-click type
user interface too, but that should be a second program.  The primary
program should be restricted to a TTY interface so it's portable.

I think now's the time to comment on these suggestions and bring
up others so the next archive will be not only different but BETTER.

                             - Jim Van Zandt
 ... ...-....1200 N81N         ............

GRIEB@LOCKE.HS.WASHINGTON.EDU (CINDY GRIEB) (09/17/88)

I agree with Jim's idea for improvements to (whatever Archive is chosen).
ESPECIALLY the addition of pathnames.  It would certainly facilitate the
use of the Archives in backup.
                                                Cindy Grieb

WANCHO@SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Frank J. Wancho") (09/17/88)

    My personal preference would be to get the SEA vs PK court decision
    reversed.

As I read it, it wasn't a court decision, but similar to, if not the
same as an out-of-court settlement.  Thus, there is no court decision
to be reversed and no precedent set (in the case law sense).

I will have a lot more to say later, particularly about trademarks and
the use of alternate compressed file schemes on SIMTEL20.

Note also that much of the functionality you propose for manipulating
such files were developed in the CP/M world years ago for LBR files.
It is interesting to see the same proposed for MSDOS...

--Frank

paula@bcsaic.UUCP (Paul Allen) (09/20/88)

In article <8809161727.AA17804@sdimax2.menet> jrv%sdimax2@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA writes:

>My personal preference would be to get the SEA vs PK court decision
>reversed.

Hear!  Hear!

>         The SIMTEL-20 archives may be fixable by standalone programs
>running in the background, but there are .ARC files on millions of
>floppy disks, too.  Converting them requires manual operations.

I'm not converting any of my ~60 floppies full of .ARC files until I
have to!

>If we must change formats, I think we should think about potential improvements.
>I would suggest improving the archive itself by:

[a 7-bit ASCII mode for archaic communication channels]

Uuencode already does this.

[storing full pathnames]

ZOO does this.

[allowing longer names to support other operating systems]

ZOO does this too, and runs on lots of systems.

[DES encryption]

In your archive program?  Wouldn't it be simpler to have a separate
encryption utility?

>I would also suggest improving the pack/unpack program:

[an interactive archive viewer/unpacker, sort of like the -i mode of the
Berkeley restore program]

Sounds nice.

[ability to copy an archive member to a different archive without
unpacking]

Sounds like feaping creaturism to me!

[full-screen point-and-click interface]

Yeah!

>I think now's the time to comment on these suggestions and bring
>up others so the next archive will be not only different but BETTER.
>
>                             - Jim Van Zandt
> ... ...-....1200 N81N         ............

ZOO exists, is portable, has a public format, is free, and does almost
everything I want in an archiver.  The only thing it lacks is
multi-volume capability.  It can take a list of filenames on stdin, so
if it could only write multiple floppies I could use it to backup my
hard disk.  Pdtar is also portable, public-domain, and free, but the
MSDOS implementation can't do compression.  There is a version of pdtar
that handles multiple floppies, however!

I suggest that we use ZOO.  It's better than ARC in several ways and it
already exists.

[mild flame on]  A previous poster stated that ZOO was disqualified
because Rahul has restricted it from being distributed by services that
charge more than a certain amount per hour.  This argument is specious,
since nobody is being forced to download ZOO from an expensive service.
Another previous poster talked about the formation of a committee to
design a new non-ARC archive format.  This is foolishness, since ZOO
already does what we need, is universally and freely available, is
portable, and has a publicly documented format.  [flame off]

Obviously, I'll use whatever archive format eventually dominates, but it
seems to me that Rahul's superior archiver is being discarded simply
because of some people's emotional biases.  Seems a shame, too.

(OK, so maybe I'm all wet!  If anybody can explain what's wrong with
ZOO, or why some other archiver is better, I'm all ears.)

Paul

Paul L. Allen                       | paula@boeing.com
Boeing Advanced Technology Center   | ...!uw-beaver!ssc-vax!bcsaic!paula