[comp.sys.zenith.z100] PKWare responds to SEA comments

W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Keith Petersen) (09/21/88)

[SEAPKX.TXT from SEAPKX.ARC]

#: 210234 S9/Hot Topic (S)
    07-Sep-88  14:54:41
Sb: #210112-#PK settlement details
Fm: Andrew Foray 72617,1167
To: gene saunders 72265,23

The file you refer to is definitely NOT the result of any actions by
SEA.  The file claims to have been entered by PKWARE's tech writer, and
contains her own biased comments.
PKWARE, Inc. are the people who wanted it kept confidential in the
first place. I am still bound by my agreement not to discuss the
settlement terms,  but am available for other questions about the facts
of this situation. (Strange how they can keep me quiet but feel free to
disclose what portions of the facts they wish)
Taking this legal action was not a decision we took lightly.  We regret
being forced into this situation by PKWARE.  It is always difficult to
take on a larger company in court.
However, they had clearly STOLEN our code. (As shown by testimony of
the expert witness and admitted by PKWARE under oath) Under these
conditions, the only course left to protect our rights was legal
action. Just because ARC is shareware,  free to non-comercial users,
doesn't mean it can be stolen by a commercial company out to make
money.
If anyone has any questions about this matter,  feel free to contact me
online or call Thom or myself at (201) 473-5153.
c: #66257  09-10-88  17:07  (Read 3 times)
f: PHIL KATZ
t: JIM DUNNIGAN (Rcvd)
s: R: SEA RESPONDS

     cc: NICK KEES

Jim,

Holy cow!  If Nick says it is OK, please post the following
response to that message:

1) SEA has FOUR full-time employees.  Until yesterday (9/9)
   PKWARE had only two full-time employees and two part-time
   employees, both who had other full-time jobs.  On Friday
   9/9 my mother now works full-time for PKWARE, making it
   3 full-time people, including myself.  The remaining
   part-time person is my sister, by the way.  Since the
   assets and holdings of either company were never disclosed,
   claiming that PKWARE is larger than SEA is totally ludicrous.
   SEA has more products, including at least two commercial
   products, namely AXE and SEADOG, too.

2) It was the joint consensus of both parties as to what portions
   of the agreement were confidential.  I did not instruct my
   attorney that it was the desire of myself or PKWARE that ANY
   portion of the agreement be confidential.

3) We did not steal their code.  As the public Consent Judgment
   document, signed by both parties, says, PKWARE did not admit
   to ANY fault or wrongdoing.  I certainly did not admit to
   stealing their code under oath as Mr. Foray claims either.

>Phil>
---------------
 3 [N]ext, <R>eply, <L>ist, <S>top, <D>elete --> r

c: IBM GNRL  #26721  09-10-88  17:26  (Read 47 times)
f: KAREN LITTLE
t: THOM LITTLE (Rcvd)
s: R: SEA AND PKWARE  Reply to #26707

Thom -- you missed the issue completely in the SEA-PK problem.

If I took you to court because I wanted some of your money AND in the legal
briefs I filed I called you a PERVERT, and then I told all my friends is
that the real reason I am calling you a PERVERT is because you have
hiddiously WRONGED my family name, but really, I just wanted your money...

...and if you could NOT afford to defend yourself against me because my
attorney (who was going to make $40,000 of the case) wasn't charging ME a
dime but expected to get his fees from YOU...

...and you said, "OK, let's settle" and you pay me the money, and you give
up any title to your property ... you give up the right to your own
copyrights ...

...and I still call you a PERVERT, and take you back to court with the same
attorney who will collect his fees from YOU...

You would say ... is this justice?   And, my friend, what is happening here
could happen to YOU too...  It doesn't just happen to the OTHER GUY.
---------------
c: IBM GNRL  #26724  09-10-88  23:28  (Read 8 times)
f: JUDY GETTS
t: ALL
s: LOREN JONES' LETTER

     cc: NICK KEES
     cc: SYSOP
     cc: KAREN LITTLE

                       RBBS-PC OF CHICAGO
              Serving the PC Community since 1983!
                      Loren D. Jones, Sysop
                          P.O. Box 127
                       LaGrange, IL  60606
                      (312) 352-1035 (data)

September 8, 1988

Mr. Thom L. Henderson
System Enhancement Associates, Inc.
21 New Street
Wayne, New Jersey 07470

Dear Mr. Henderson:

I am the sysop of RBBS-PC of Chicago.  My board, which was started
in August of 1983, has approximately 5,600 registered users from
every state in the union and fifteen foreign countries.  We are
presently adding between five and seven new users every day, seven
days per week.  The board has fielded over 120,000 calls to date,
and currently handles in excess of 1,200 calls per week on its five
incoming lines.

I am also a lawyer.  And as a lawyer and a sysop I find your recent
actions against PKware despicable.  A classic case of "if you can't
out program 'em, sue 'em" mentality.  I watched as ARC (a term
clearly a carry-over from CP/M days...contrary to your delusions
of originality) came on the scene.  I also watched as it languished
after its introduction with no significant improvements in either
features or speed.  You can be grateful that PKARC came along, for
without its speed ARC never would have survived.

What you and your lawyers apparently overlooked in your zealous
greed was the fact that it was BBS sysops such as myself that made
ARC a standard.  By your recent actions to destroy one of the few
standards that now exist in the BBS world, you have clearly bitten
the hand that feeds you.

Either reconsider your "settlement" with PKware, or I, like sysops
of hundreds of other major boards, will do all we can to assure
ARC's early demise.  I will clear my system of anything bearing
your name and will recommend my users NOT support anything remotely
related to yourself or your company.  Finally, it is my intention
to convert my entire system to whatever new library format PKware
chooses to implement in the future.  The choice is yours.

Sincerely,

Loren D. Jones

---------------
 17 [N]ext, <R>eply, <L>ist, <S>top -->

c: IBM GNRL  #26725  09-10-88  23:33  (Read 5 times)
f: JUDY GETTS
t: ALL
s: MORE MESSAGES

     cc: SYSOP
     cc: KAREN LITTLE
     cc: NICK KEES

Date: 08-30-88 (15:44)              Number: 7587

  To: JUDY GETTS                    Refer#: 7577
From: BRAD BERSON                     Read: NO
Subj: SEA VS PKWARE                 Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

Judy,

  I applaud your brave editorial.  I agree that a boycott is not
always an effective method of contest, but if carried out properly
will certainly get the point across.
  I have banished all use of ARC within my own business and from
within my entire domain at my employer (a few hundred machines).
I would like to see that all licensing of SEA software be stopped,
and all licensing of any other vendor's software whose royalties
would go to SEA also be stopped (sorry, Phil).  This must be done
to be effective.  Support for Phil Katz can be had by liberally
licensing his other non-archive related software (ie. PKfind,
which only reads the directories of ARC files and was not subject
to the terms of the lawsuit).

Brad Berson
Analyst/Programmer
Broadcast Operations
Capital Cities/ABC-TV, Inc.

Date: 09-05-88 (01:58)              Number: 128 (Echo)
  To: JUDY GETTS                    Refer#: 119
From: KELLY STANONIK                  Read: NO
Subj: PK VS SEA                     Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

Hopefully SEA will see what a bad decision they've made when no one
uses or registers anything they write.  Ever.
---

 * Via Qwikmail 2.01.  Kelly Stanonik @ Edtech, Inc.

Date: 08-31-88 (23:18)              Number: 7699 (Echo)
  To: JUDY GETTS                    Refer#: NONE
From: CARROLL HANKS                   Read: 09-09-88 (18:28)
Subj: PK VS SEA                     Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

I am personally disgusted by the ARC suit, even more so than the Apple
suit and have banned any SEA files from my BBS and encourage all other
Sysops to do the same. Lets let this bully know that their tactics will
backfire on them.
---

 * Via ProDoor 2.6

 * Origin: Ed Hopper's BBS, Houston, Texas (6)

Date: 09-09-88 (15:28)              Number: 28347
  To: JUDY GETTS                    Refer#: NONE
From: PAUL CASTLE                     Read: 09-09-88 (17:52)
Subj: COMMENT                       Status: RECEIVER ONLY

Since I don't have the ability to leave messages I guess I have to go
this route.  I am sorry.
  I would like to show my support for the effort against the insane
actions of SEA.  My board will no longer offer any of their products.
      Paul E. Castle II
      Sysop, Dream Castle
      Encinitas, California
      (619) 942-5164
  Please add me to the list of supporting sysops.
This was intended for Judy Getts.
  Thank you.

Date: 09-07-88 (09:38)              Number: 7713 (Echo)
  To: JUDY GETTS                    Refer#: NONE
From: JOSEPH SHEPPARD                 Read: 09-09-88 (18:30)
Subj: SEA VS PKWARE                 Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

Judy,

Thank you for your very informative update on the SEA vs PK situation.
While I sat back quietly during the first round of this fiasco, after
reading your report, I have deleted all of the SEA programs from my
BBS, including CLINK.EXE and ARC.

I have also opened an new Textview door in the discussion conference
of my BBS that offers your report, along with the transcript of the
original lawsuit for online reading and discussion among my user base.

A few years ago BBS operators got together and decided to change from
the .LBR format to the .ARC format and literally put SEA on the map.
Who would have ever registered SEA's ARC program had we not chosen it
as the "standard".  In effect, we, the BBS operators have created a
monster. I feel that it is up to us to so what we can, by not
supporting SEA products on our boards.

Over a year ago I designated PKXARC as the "suggested ARC extractor"
for my BBS, so my boycotting ARC may have little impact.  However,
when I deleted CLINK.EXE and took SEAlink protocol out of my protocol
listing, that meant that my 1500 active users will now have little
reason to register thier copies of CLINK.EXE.

BBS Systems really can make a difference in this dispute.  Again,
where would SEA be if we hadn't chosen to push it's programs in the
first place?

-Joe
---
 * Via Qwikmail 2.02a.  Joseph Sheppard, The Ledge (818) 352-3620

 * Origin: Jim Fouch's Sleepy Hollow, Los Angeles, CA (PCB-Echo Node 2)

---------------
 18 [N]ext, <R>eply, <L>ist, <S>top -->

c: IBM GNRL  #26702  08-09-88  18:35  (Read 56 times)
f: KAREN LITTLE
t: GLEN THOMPSON (Rcvd)
s: R: R: SEA'S BUSINESS PRA  Reply to #26698

Re:  Notes from 9-9 SEA vs PKware Contempt Proceedings

I met Attorney Marshall today.  He told the court that he had 30+ years
experience as a trademark patent-type attorney.  He must not have much
experience as a businessman as his actions are not making sense.

Why, if SEA has just collected $62,500 from Phil (the attorneys get $40,000
of this fee! ! !), and why if SEA expected to get more money thru the end
of January 1989, would they want to keep badgering this case?

Marshall said that SEA had WON! the settlement with Katz.  That really
surprised me and I was pleased that Nick Kees also noticed that statement.
This was a civil undertaking that resulted in a legal agreement which was
hammered out over 2.5 days.  There were NO winners.

Given the intensity of the 2.5 days it is interesting that no one on SEA's
side even mentioned the documentation's use of the archive term  What was
called to attention was the PKarc name -- Nick's point.

Nick further pointed out that the agreement was binding to both parties.
In addition, SEA did NOT stress that the generaric terms stemming from
archiving had trademark protection in any of their documentation.  While it
is agreed that tm protection can be in background ... it is still difficult
for people to know about it when the tm'ed word is a common description.

Several points of law were brought up -- and then he talked about some
other points pertaining to computer use.  One was that unlike the print
media, the ONLY means of emphasis on a CRT is the use of CAPS -- and last,
the documentation was meant to teach a new user common references to file
compression terms.

There was probably more, but I don't take shorthand.  The Judge is thinking
about it.                        Karen

 18 [N]ext, <R>eply, <L>ist, <S>top to threadtop -->

c: IBM GNRL  #26709  09-09-88  21:49  (Read 32 times)
f: GLEN THOMPSON
t: KAREN LITTLE (Rcvd)
s: R: R: SEA'S BUSINESS PRA  Reply to #26702

Karen,

Caps is the ONLY form of emphasis on a CRT!!!  Then why do we have color,
underlining, and caps?  I think Marshall and Henderson are living in the
dark ages of computing.

glen

 18 [N]ext, <R>eply, <L>ist, <S>top to threadtop -->

c: IBM GNRL  #26712  09-09-88  22:20  (Read 28 times)
f: KAREN LITTLE
t: GLEN THOMPSON (Rcvd)
s: R: R: SEA'S BUSINESS PRA  Reply to #26709

It's me in the dark ages about CAPS along with ASCII.  In order to write
documentation that ANYONE can print out, the use of features is very
limited.

 18 [N]ext, <R>eply, <L>ist, <S>top to threadtop -->
Returning to normal sequence.

c: IBM GNRL  #26693  09-09-88  11:21  (Read 58 times)
f: STEVE SHATTUCK
t: KAREN LITTLE (Rcvd)
s: R: R: NEED A SCANNER  Reply to #26660

Karen,
     I am not working today, so that is a no go.  A text scanner must be
able to recognize the font from the original.  What type font do you need
to scan?
                                  Steve